Adios Playero and Hola Super Pola.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well, there is something I would never purchase but understand some are attracted to the poison of artificial sweeteners.

For some it may be they have diabetes or pre-diabetes.  Or are on a diet.  I grew up without soda, still don’t drink it, my kids and grandkids drink water with their meals.  Not from the tap, haha. 

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
When we were kids Ma strickley forbade any sweet soda. My granpa called coca cola, the evil black liquid. Ma had a problem with us consuming any sweet stuff. However the old gal made thousands of short bread cookies during christmas. My sisters and I consumed at least three quarters with out her knowing. I'm not diabetic............yet.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I was in Playero yesterday. I was looking in the cooler at the semi-frozen chicken breasts and they looked very off-coloured. Many were packaged Aug 23 and others mid September. I couldn't believe they would leave that there to sell.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
For some it may be they have diabetes or pre-diabetes.  Or are on a diet.  I grew up without soda, still don’t drink it, my kids and grandkids drink water with their meals.  Not from the tap, haha. 

Did you ever notice that the people that drink diet soda remain fat? Aspartame is a product that should not be on the market for all of the harm it does.

So diet soda and bagels are the unique items at one local supermarket. What else?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
People are fat because the consume more calories than they burn. The often repeated arguments that artificial sweeteners are responsible for internet wasting disease are complete BS. Please submit proof to the contrary to Gorgon for validation. You asked for products not available at Pola and I offered up one. Someone else offered up Bagels. I'm pretty sure that neither of us were expecting you to regale us with your personal commentary on our dietary choices. Thanks for that though, as irrelevant as they are.

Now back to the discussion of the differences between Super Pola and Playero, sans the implied condescension of what adults choose to consume and what their bodies look like, neither of which is any of your business. You're over the line line of good taste here Windy (pun intended).

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
The oriental section at Playero offers up more than Pola.
I was in Super Pola yesterday and there was a sale on meat. Apparently they're doing this friday to sunday. Good deals to be had.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
take the discussion on fatness, fitness and aspartame to off topic, please. further posts on this subject will be deleted.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Bob, thats the 4% USD exchange rate fee that theyve been charging for awhile. Now I specifically tell the cashier to use pesos on my credit card...no fee.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Ok I tried the "charge the card in pesos" this past weekend and....yes it worked and there was no extra 4%. It seems in the past it seems we were always charged in pesos. I guess you need to ask now.
Thanks for the tip
Bob K

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I was in Playero yesterday. I was looking in the cooler at the semi-frozen chicken breasts and they looked very off-coloured. Many were packaged Aug 23 and others mid September. I couldn't believe they would leave that there to sell.

Super Pola was recently caught on video repacking old meat to reflect a new exp. date. I have heard lots of complaints of stinky meat, Playero however not much better.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Unfortunately, the practice of repackaging is pretty common in Sosua. Heads of lettuce get smaller as the week goes on, soft spots on fruits and vegetables get turned to the bottom of packages and re-wrapped. I am convinced that after it doesn't sell in the open display, some of the meat ends up in the freezer.

I don't buy packaged fruits and veggies anymore. Burned too many times. There is no cost savings over loose items anyways. We should all be able to look at a hunk of meat and know that it is nearing the end of the definition of fresh.

Sometimes when lighting burns out it is replaced with a bulb that is most unflattering to the items it is illuminating.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Super Pola was recently caught on video repacking old meat to reflect a new exp. date. I have heard lots of complaints of stinky meat, Playero however not much better.

Stinky meat is not a good thing.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
If you have a problem with veggies at playero, don't buy. Go to the local Dominican fruit/ veg market. Geez, I would never buy veggies at playero. As far as stinky meat goes...............