Adreína Martínez - Miss Dominican Republic (Miss Universe 2023)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Dominican-American Adreína Martínez (born in the DR, moved to NYC at 13; dual national DR/US) will represent the DR in this Saturday's 2023 Miss Universe in New Orleans.

A7427E52-6113-4439-9FDA-E2B5D2640EDA.png

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Miss Universe on Saturday Jan 14 at 8pm.

99DDE2FB-9317-46A0-A272-775166988CCF.png

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Although I'm not one who values these so-called beauty pageants, I want to go on record with a prediction: Evlin Abdullah-Khalifa, Miss Bahrain, will win in 2023

Dominican newspapers have low standards. No, no no: The Dominican contestant is NOT a psychologist, and a Pell Grant is NOT a merit scholarship.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Although I'm not one who values these so-called beauty pageants, I want to go on record with a prediction: Evlin Abdullah-Khalifa, Miss Bahrain, will win in 2023

Dominican newspapers have low standards. No, no no: The Dominican contestant is NOT a psychologist, and a Pell Grant is NOT a merit scholarship.
The winner is a poilitical decision as much as anything. The Dominican contestant has decent qualifications and great legs.

Reactions: jd426 and bachata

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

That wouldn't surprise me either. She is a very attractive woman.

Reactions: Lucifer

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Disagreeing with myself: Loving Miss Bahrain's looks, but Miss Italy will reign supreme.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
She did well; 2nd runner up. If she had better facial features, she might have won. She was very articulate in her answers to the two questions, and has a very graceful walk.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
She did well; 2nd runner up. If she had better facial features, she might have won. She was very articulate in her answers to the two questions, and has a very graceful walk.
I was surprised Miss USA won. Both Venezuela and DR's reps were prettier. I guess I'm partial to Latinas!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I was hoping that Miss Curacao Gabriëla Pereira Dos Santos would win, but at 20 probably too young. The Caribbean was well represented.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I was surprised Miss USA won. Both Venezuela and DR's reps were prettier. I guess I'm partial to Latinas!
Keep in mind it was in New Orleans. Not saying that since it was in the USA the American needed to win, but...

Miss Universe should be in the DR one year. Just saying,.. :unsure:

Reactions: CristoRey

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Keep in mind it was in New Orleans. Not saying that since it was in the USA the American needed to win, but...

Miss Universe should be in the DR one year. Just saying,.. :unsure:
Like I said earlier, there is a political element to the contest.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
The majority of Dominican influencers and YouTubers are having a conniption fit over the Miss U. results.
Some are calling for a boycott of the next event and/or for president Abinader to make a statement. IN-CRE-DI-BLE!

One very influential personality, Santiago Matías, a.k.a. Alofoke, has hurled all manner of insults at the pageant jury panel. Some are even blaming the "Americans" who own the Miss U. organization, while failing to realize that said org. is owned by a Thai conglomerate.

With so many issues plaguing our society, these so-called influencers are outraged about such a banal event. Small-mindedness to the Nth degree.

I picked my favorites, just as I do for any event (always France for the World Cup and any team other than the Dodgers in MLB, and as a die-hard aguilucho, any team but Licey in Lidom), but we carry on once the $hit is over. Too many books to read and beers to drink.

Reactions: bob saunders

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Regardless, Miss DR should be received with a parade and recognition in the DR, even as far as invited for an official visit to the president and first lady in the National Palace with much media coverage. She did come in second place. While that isn't first, she could had the same experience as most of the misses.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Really? A parade and an invite to Abinader's office?
I KNOW you're serious, but it would be a monumental waste of time for a president and a waste of money spent on parade logistics (guards, police, barricades, etc...).

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Regardless, Miss DR should be received with a parade and recognition in the DR, even as far as invited for an official visit to the president and first lady in the National Palace with much media coverage. She did come in second place. While that isn't first, she could had the same experience as most of the misses.
The parade should be celebrated in Little Dominican Republic in Manhattan, that's where she is from.
I know her family very well, they used to be my neighbors in Santiago way back in the 80s.

JJ