Aduanas is charging me 110% tax on a gift i received via UPS

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Those things in mint condition are 2-3 K US according to ebay so that tax is probably correct.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Vimenpaq told me that the tax on imports is 38% by law.. see thread http://dr1.com/forums/legal/138603-internet-tax-50-a-8.html

Now, after shopping all day on the internet, calling all the guitar stores in SD, listening to seemingly endless videos on YouTube, I have ordered a $300 Luna guitar instead of the $1000 Taylor that I wanted. Since, most likely, the Luna will come to $1000 by the time I get through with customs and shipping charges.

But, after waiting for years to get ANY guitar, I just can't wait any longer. They did have some expensive Yamahas here but I just do not like the sound of them.

Anyway, I feel your pain but the Tax really needs to be no more than 38% . And the couriers do NOT deal with them, at least Vimenpaq does not.. they just send you over to customs to pay the fee.

If I were you, I would go to UPS and talk to someone in person. See if you cannot get the fee reduced to the 38% level.

If the 1,000 taylor you wanted is a 214CE, I have two in DR as my sales rep sent two by mistake. I will have to ship back, but if you want a killer guitar let me know. Better than a luna ;-)

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Long story short, i got the package with declared value of 22 000 rubles (russian currency) which is equals to 24000 pesos or 549$US, it is a military binoculars with night vision (gift from russian military guy to my husband), so it is being held by customs in Santiago and they charge me 28000 pesos of impuestos, here comes the question - WTF?! How the hell i have to pay more than the cost of the item of taxes? Can anybody enlighten me of what to do? Tried to reach aduanas by phone but after they redirect me to an agent nobody is on that line. Tried to figure out how to send it back with no success. Here they say guy in russia has to do something, and guy in russia says ups told him i have to do something. So its like a damned circle.
Please somebody let me know who can help me to figure it all out, i cant pay 600$ of taxes its just ridiculous.

When you buy something and let it shipped to DR please tell the sender to include an invoice with a value less than 200 US$.
Also to put some stickers on it and best would be to write on invoice "used". With this you hardly will have problems when importing.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans ARE STUPID, but not THAT STUPID!!!!!!
Customs does not pay any attention to the ?Invoice?.
They have a computer printout of what the item is actually worth, and charge accordingly.
If the item is not on their list, they set whatever value THEY want, not what you want!!!!!
SOMEONE has to pay for all those ?Yepetas?!!!!!!!!!
And it AIN'T gonna be THEM!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
When you buy something and let it shipped to DR please tell the sender to include an invoice with a value less than 200 US$.
Also to put some stickers on it and best would be to write on invoice "used". With this you hardly will have problems when importing.

bogus invoices are so 20th century. even the DR is sharper than that today.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Vimenpaq told me that the tax on imports is 38% by law.. see thread http://dr1.com/forums/legal/138603-internet-tax-50-a-8.html

Now, after shopping all day on the internet, calling all the guitar stores in SD, listening to seemingly endless videos on YouTube, I have ordered a $300 Luna guitar instead of the $1000 Taylor that I wanted. Since, most likely, the Luna will come to $1000 by the time I get through with customs and shipping charges.

But, after waiting for years to get ANY guitar, I just can't wait any longer. They did have some expensive Yamahas here but I just do not like the sound of them.

Anyway, I feel your pain but the Tax really needs to be no more than 38% . And the couriers do NOT deal with them, at least Vimenpaq does not.. they just send you over to customs to pay the fee.

If I were you, I would go to UPS and talk to someone in person. See if you cannot get the fee reduced to the 38% level.

I just had a guitar sent using Encargopaq. I paid no additional fees other than their normal per pound weight for shipping, of course the invoice was "under $200"....

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
bogus invoices are so 20th century. even the DR is sharper than that today.

nope... You can try it! If it gets trough it's fine if not well then pay.
Importing is like gabling :)
I imported a Laptop worth over 2,500US$ added an invoice of 350 US$ ...paid in total 1,500 pesos.
I import a lot and the best to import something is to go via the freight forwarder and NOT to use DHL
or FEDEX.

Beenaway

May 27, 2013
Dominicans ARE STUPID, but not THAT STUPID!!!!!!
Customs does not pay any attention to the ?Invoice?.
They have a computer printout of what the item is actually worth, and charge accordingly.
If the item is not on their list, they set whatever value THEY want, not what you want!!!!!
SOMEONE has to pay for all those ?Yepetas?!!!!!!!!!
And it AIN'T gonna be THEM!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Yup - the tax is based on the value not the price - simple.