Advice for first trip to Damajagua

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
We're planning a trip from Rio San Juan to the falls in Damajagua and need input on the excursion. We'll be taking our own vehicle but I was curious about what is needed once we get to Damajagua. Also any advise for things to see along the way. Is there a "best time" to arrive, how long does it usually take and should we book with a tour group? We usually stop and eat at Maimon when we travel that road, so we do have that planned. Thanks in advance for input.

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003
I just used to park my car and walk up to the counter and buy a ticket for the trek I wanted to do.
Then hired helmet, lifejacket, water shoes right there.

Reactions: slas7713

veraugamike

Jul 22, 2019
The best time is early morning. By 10:00 the crowds have stirred up the water making it less beautiful and afternoon thunder showers can change things quickly. That would be difficult coming from Rio San Juan. Consider spending the night somewhere closer. Make your Maimon meal a late lunch on the way back. Don't go with a tour group. They don't go all the way up. After the first twelve the rest are more spread apart but the last one is worth the hike. You can by a ticket for a few, 12 or all the way. Ticket prices include a guide but most of them deserve a generous tip.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
No need to book an excursion. You do need rubber-soled shoes that won't slip on the wet rocks and can take a soaking. They rent them there for like 200. Don't quite remember.

Reactions: slas7713

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
Does anyone know how many of the waterfalls are open right now?

Last month it was only the bottom 7, but with all the rain, I'm hoping that at least 14 are open now.