Air Canada Cheap fare Toronto-Puerto Plata !

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Just booked our tickets to Puerto Plata in May... $99 plus tax ($386) = $485 total return leaving Saturdays

... if only the taxes weren't so high...

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
The tax amount you are showing is legal theft...............tax is 4 times the flight.....OUTRAGEOUS...

B in Santiago

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Couldn't agree with you more... unfortunatley that's what you get when flying with a Canadian charter flight...

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Couldn't agree with you more... unfortunatley that's what you get when flying with a Canadian charter flight...
Can you post the taxes and fees?

These are taxes and fees EWR to SDQ.

Airfare: 203.00 USD
U.S. Customs User Fee: 5.50
U.S. Immigration User Fee: 7.00
U.S. APHIS User Fee: 5.00
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax: 33.40
September 11th Security Fee: 2.50
Dominican Republic Departure Tax: 20.00
Dom. Republic Airport Authority Fee: 30.00
Dom. Republic Airport Infrastructure Fee: 32.60

U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 4.50

Per Person Total: 343.50
USD

eTicket Total: 343.50 US + $10 USD Tourist Card

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
The $99 is a scam... The $386 is taxes "and fees". For $35 more, I am flying West Jet on which one leg is advertised at $189 and the return $236 plus taxes "and fees". How can the taxes be less on my higher amounts? At the end of the day, in Canada there are not enough companies competing to truly bring prices down... But ANY reduction from the frequent $750+ fares to PP is welcome so well done barbie!!

We always have the cheapskate option of shuffling off to Buffalo and then taking a puddlejumper to Miami, schlepping luggage through the airport, going through security again...waiting a day to get there...for my money, I'd way rather pay more, take one nice jet in a straight shot and be on the beach within 5 hours of getting on the plane!!

Ella

Edited to add a breakdown:

My fare is no longer available but on a one way leg to the DR on a $209 fare, here is the breakdown on West Jet:

$7.50 - Surcharge
$25 Canadian airport improvement fee
$25.91 Air traveller security charge (??)
$3.25 sales tax
$42.07 Destination taxes and fees

$312.73 Total on an advertised $209 fare

I'd love to see the breakdown on that $99 fare!!

Last edited:

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
La barbie...I'd love to see the breakdown on that $99 fare!! I don't see it on their website now...was it a Tango fare? I suppose if you're willing to take 12 hours to get there, it's a good deal but that's a horrible flight from the look of it leaving YYZ at 12:30 am and having a 6 hour layover in the middle of the night in Montreal...

Big Bird, the taxes out of EWR are higher than out of YYZ!! I am shocked!!

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
I just did a quick calculation on the Air Canada flight at $139 each way and Air Canada charges a LOT more in fees. They are adding a fuel surcharge of $40 and then they have some interesting Dominican surcharges on there:

Dominican Republic Airport Authority $30.56
Dominican Republic Airport Departure Tax $20.37
Dominican Republic Airport Infra Fee$33.20 what is this?
Surcharge $15 (double West Jet)

How interesting!!

Ella

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
La barbie...I'd love to see the breakdown on that $99 fare!! I don't see it on their website now...was it a Tango fare? I suppose if you're willing to take 12 hours to get there, it's a good deal but that's a horrible flight from the look of it leaving YYZ at 12:30 am and having a 6 hour layover in the middle of the night in Montreal...

Big Bird, the taxes out of EWR are higher than out of YYZ!! I am shocked!!

You are asking if it's a Tango fare when you know exactly what time the flight is so obviously you know if it's Tango or not.

I do not have time to post breakdowns as I have a career that takes priority... I prefer Westjet myself but it so happens that the days that I am flying Westjet is $1038 + $199 tax pp... I am paying for myself and my son... $969 is a lot cheaper for me to pay rather than $2474 with taxes to get there an hour sooner... and you can look up the breakdown for yourself if it makes you feel good.

Majority of charters out of Canada (at least Toronto) the taxes are in the same range... if I'm wrong than I'm wrong but I fly enough to know what airlines charge.

My point is that the Air Canada sale is $485 return out of Toronto... cheap... compared to the States maybe not but for Toronto yes !

Someones gotta step in with the constant increase in taxes... it unbelievable... I remember when they were $160 and I thought it was a lot than ! lol

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
I never fly with Air Canada.........they are thieves. Their flights no matter to where are always way more expensive than any other Canadian airline. Skyservice or air transat have good rates.

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
la barbie, you misinterpreted my question. I too have a demanding career but I also am able to quickly punch in a few details and get information. I only asked if it was a Tango fare because the Tango fare was no longer available for purchase on the website... and unfortunately, that is pretty much the only weekly flight to POP that AC has... and one that I try to avoid. I agree that the Westjet flight on Friday mornings is a good one. If can suggest - without you taking offence - maybe sign up for Westjet's email blasts if you haven't already and get advance notice of their seat sales. There can be some great deals, both in the near term and for trips a couple of months away!

I thought the comparison of taxes and "surcharges" was interesting. As much as we Cdns get taxed out the ying yang, it was somewhat appeasing to see that those flying out of New Jersey were bending over and taking it too.

In any event, have a great time! For me, any crappiness of the flight always disappears once you step out of the airport :)

Ella

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I never fly with Air Canada.........they are thieves. Their flights no matter to where are always way more expensive than any other Canadian airline. Skyservice or air transat have good rates.

Skyservice no longer exists... Canjet is the same sh!t as them... with taxes of $385 also
Air Transat doesn't have (or at least I didn't see any) in May... I like Transat, when my son was a infant they had a fold down cott that I was able to put my son in when he was sleeping and they were constantly asking if I needed any assistance... great airline.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Skyservice no longer exists... Canjet is the same sh!t as them... with taxes of $385 also
Air Transat doesn't have (or at least I didn't see any) in May... I like Transat, when my son was a infant they had a fold down cott that I was able to put my son in when he was sleeping and they were constantly asking if I needed any assistance... great airline.

Thanks for telling me. I haven`t flown in a couple of years so I had no idea.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
Can you post the taxes and fees?

These are taxes and fees EWR to SDQ.

Airfare: 203.00 USD
U.S. Customs User Fee: 5.50
U.S. Immigration User Fee: 7.00
U.S. APHIS User Fee: 5.00
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax: 33.40
September 11th Security Fee: 2.50
Dominican Republic Departure Tax: 20.00
Dom. Republic Airport Authority Fee: 30.00
Dom. Republic Airport Infrastructure Fee: 32.60

U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 4.50

Per Person Total: 343.50
USD

eTicket Total: 343.50 US + $10 USD Tourist Card

isnt there a fee for the guys playing the music in the POP airport ?