Air Transat... ridiculous!

Cdn Girl

Oct 21, 2004
We flew down to Puerto Plata with Air Transat and were very pleased with our flight... however, when trying to make reservations for a flight home, we didn't have much luck. We had to do it all by phone to POP since we were in Cabaretes so that didn't help either. The office in POP doesn't know the availability for their flights (which only go on Wednesdays and Saturdays) until the Tuesday of that week! We were trying to get one going out on a Saturday, and were told to call back Tuesday morning... so we did, they still didn't know, told us to call back at 3... so we did, STILL didn't know, told us to call back Monday morning. It ended up they didn't have their availabiltiy until about 2:00 on Wednesday (2 hours before the flight that day left for anyone trying to get on Wednesday's) and then they were sold out. What I don't understand is how they don't know the availability until that week... wouldn't they know from the week before if the plane was full or not by how many people flew down? It truly confuses me.... maybe someone will have an answer for me so I can give it up!

caro

Sep 24, 2003
if you want to fly with transat it s will be less easy to call a travel agency here in canada to buy your ticket.after you will have to see the tour rep at the airport the day of your departure for get your ticket.trust me it s most easy like that.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hmmmmmmmm

As I recall Air Transat is only allowed to sell you a two way ticket to the DR from Canada.........So if you missed your return flight back! Is this Air Transat who is at fault or you?

You snozze you loose, just be glad they got you back home safe and sound!

Air Transat is not in the business of selling flights out of Puerto Plata back to Canada.

They could have put you on the back burner and let you stew for a month or so......Did you try Sunquest, Air Canada, or American just to name a few?

Gringo

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Trying to treat low cost charters like schedules airlines reveals that low cost charters are not at all like scheduled airlines. There are other options or you take your chances.

On the subject of AT, interesting to note their rudder (moveable part) fell off out of Veradero Cuba, this weekend luckily making for a wobbly but safe return to the airport and grounding all their Airbuses until each was checked over.

Cdn Girl

Oct 21, 2004
well...

I'll admit that we didn't use our return ticket, (which was suggested by many people, a few being on here might I add) but that's because we were planning on staying for a while, just not sure exactly how long. We did a last minute all inclusive so that we would have a place to stay while looking for an apartment in that first week. Anyway, yes we did get home safely... we ended up flying Continental which was alright... we've never done a stopover before so that was an experience in New Jersey.... people definitely aren't very friendly at that airport! (no offense to anyone who lives there)

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Although this was years ago,

Air Transat reps were pretty decent about upgrading your return ticket for about 200 -250 CDN. When I lived in POP, I always went home every 6 months to make sure my OHIP would still be in place for when I returned to Canada full-time. I always purchased a return ticket through Air Transat, kept it in a safe place, and then when it was getting close to the time to head to Canada for a "vacation" , I would contact the rep, have her put me on a waiting list, and when a seat opened up, I just had to pay my fee and get on the plane.
I realize that this info doesn't help you now, but maybe for your next time?
Like I said, this was 12 years ago, and this all could have changed by now too. Of course, this was never advertised, I had just made friends with the Air Transat crew based out of POP. Like many say on this board, it is important to have contacts !!

caro

Sep 24, 2003
like I said in my last post when I come to pop and don t know when I come back I just call my travel agent here in montreal and tell him I ready to come back and I always be able to fly with transat. I do it that few time last year.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
marliejaneca said:
.... I would contact the rep, have her put me on a waiting list, and when a seat opened up, I just had to pay my fee and get on the plane..

Keep in mind also Air Canada has non stop scheduled 757 from POP to Toronto so it may be less effort than mooching open seats etc. on a charter.

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
Looking for options

ricktoronto said:
Keep in mind also Air Canada has non stop scheduled 757 from POP to Toronto so it may be less effort than mooching open seats etc. on a charter.

How much would air canada cost one way to YYZ?

See, I went to a travel agent to see how much it would cost if I go to POP (May 28), stay at an AI for one week with friends and then catch a flight around June 24 home to Toronto. She Quoted me $2100. :eek: I was thinking to pay for the AI with the return ticket, forfeit it and then buy another ticket when I am ready.

If I will be leaving from STO DOM are their flights that fly out straight to Toronto? is it any cheaper? It seems like my agent doesn't want me to do it this way?

MG

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
MG,

$2100 one way? Is the seat made out of gold? That is absolutley ridiculous. You need to research more. One travel agent's quote is not gospel. It is not like you are first person to do this. Start making some calls. Do you still need apart hotel info. Send me a PM.

LDG.

MoReNiTa GuApA said:

See, I went to a travel agent to see how much it would cost if I go to POP (May 28), stay at an AI for one week with friends and then catch a flight around June 24 home to Toronto. She Quoted me $2100. :eek: I was thinking to pay for the AI with the return ticket, forfeit it and then buy another ticket when I am ready.

If I will be leaving from STO DOM are their flights that fly out straight to Toronto? is it any cheaper? It seems like my agent doesn't want me to do it this way?

MG

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Some confusion

Let me try and clarify here. So, you travel from Canada on a return ticket. You cannot travel here on a one way ticket unless you have residencia. You arrive, stay and do not return on your scheduled return flight.

So, realize that there was an available seat on a charter flight going back that no one knew about! Just a little side note.

Now, several weeks or months later, you want to return. Your options are charter flights or regularly scheduled carriers.

Air Canada is very expensive compared to charters! One way tickets are almost always expensive!

Charters are usually the least expensive options. Understand that whatever the number coming down last week does not determine how many will go back this week. There are one week duration tickets, 2 week duration, 3 week duration and then other unusual circumstance travellers. It isn't necessarily simple to figure out how many are on the planes. The staff locally are at the mercy of the information sent to them from Canada! They do their best here. (no I don't work for any airline)

I know it is frustrating to not know in advance but that seems to be the way the system works. It is especially frustrating at this time of year when many of the snowbirds are trying to get home at the same time.

If you want to know sooner - open your pockets and pay the steaper fares on A/C or American or whoever. If you want cheaper fares be prepared to be frustrated!

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
MoReNiTa GuApA said:

MG

Online at www.aircanada.ca it is RD$31000 one way and RD$35000 return and the only fare they offer is first class so that is not all that bad and is not US$2100. AA one way is between CDN$780 and CDN$990 with one or two stops.

The reality as said before is charter airlines do not normally sell one way tickets to Canada and you are stuck trying at the airport to see if they have empty seats and buying from the tour operator with little notice. Do not ask a non-scheduled airline to act like one nor criticize it if they don't.

You may find Cubana SDQ-HAV-YYZ might work as well if the issue is having a non-US visa eligible passenger on the flight. Or a mix of COPA to Panama and then TACA to Toronto via Salvador or Costa Rica.

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
yup!

Hi LDG

Yes, I am still looking for an apart hotel in SD. The $2100 was for the AI for one week only, leaving May 28 at Allegro playa Dorada and it includes return on June 28.

Si, necesito un apartamento todavia. Pereferably in the Zona Colonial area. I will send you a PM.

MG

Lesley D said:
MG,

$2100 one way? Is the seat made out of gold? That is absolutley ridiculous. You need to research more. One travel agent's quote is not gospel. It is not like you are first person to do this. Start making some calls. Do you still need apart hotel info. Send me a PM.

LDG.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Seems all is sorted out.. charter is one thing, regular flights is another.
There is no need to blame a charter company for not getting seats well in advance!

Regular flights have different kinds of tickets, with different rules, even here you can save some money by checking this out with your travel agent or the airline company, but same here .. if you dont know your returndate you would have had to book an open return ( there are various price categories here as well,,, 1 yr open, 1 month, 3 months,, ).
Cheaper (when return in known ) would be an apex or superapex ticket. These are not changable, and therefor a little cheaper, witht the rules you cannot be away more than 1-3 months depending on flight, and not less than 3 nights incl. night between sat-sun. ( to avoid businesspeople using them...lol.. ).

So of course it is frustating, but if you deside to go budget and take a chance on the homebound flight with a charter company, this is what you have to be prepared to deal with..

Glad all worked out though!