Albert Pujols

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Boston is full of meanies

rellosk said:
Disclaimer: I'm sure Boston and/or St. Louis is just as high pressure as NY, but not living in those areas and reading the dailies, I have no knowledge of that.
I wouldn't put STL in the same league as NY and Boston for pressure on its athletes (baseball more in particular as it's 162+ games).

I haven't lived the NY experience, but I've always kept up with their dailies. I would offer that in NY there is perhaps greater distraction for the fandom than there is in Boston where baseball alone is a 365 days/year affair. In NY you have all the sports represented - and multiple teams in baseball, basketball and football. I would imagine that telescopes the focus on baseball moreso in Boston than many places.

Hence, there is that complex that many Boston fans have concerning NY. The rivalry between the two means far more to Boston than it does to NY. They've won more world titles than Boston has division titles (i'm guessing).

St. Louis is a great sports town and their fans have a huge part in that, but as far as pressure on their players are concerned there is no comparison to the NY/Boston pressure.

It bothers me that so few in the Boston fandom give it such a bad reputation, but all in all, they deserve it.

I hope Albert stays in STL, but to think it's a slam dunk is extraordinarily naive. Player's #1 focus is the name on the back of the jersey, not the front.

Could Albert handle Boston or NY? Probably, but why the hell bother?

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Isn't STL popularly known as 'Baseball City USA'?

..I think baseball means more to them than it does to Boston. Boston got Patriots

How's Missouri's FArm SYstem?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
What gate?

aegap said:
Isn't STL popularly known as 'Baseball City USA'?
I popularly know STL as.... "that place American Airlines makes me fly through when I can't get a 'non-stop'" ;) . But what's really in a name like that?

It's hard to explain how serious and personal the entire New England region takes their baseball organization. If I have to explain it all, you wouldn't understand.

I still don't. It's a surreal absurdity in many respects.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Cleef said:
It's hard to explain how serious and personal the entire New England region takes their baseball organization. If I have to explain it all, you wouldn't understand.

The Red Sox are also the favorite team of most baseball fans in the Canadian maritime provinces.

I would love to see Pujols in a Red Sox uniform.

St. Louis and Boston are two great baseball towns with their own ongoing rivalry. The Cardinals beat the Red Sox in the 1946 and 1967 World Series. The Red Sox beat the Cardinals in the 2004 World Series.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Probably

something_of_the_night said:
Has Pujols ever been tested for 'roids? If so, when?
I would surely imagine every player in MLB has been tested, probably more than once.

I just read that David Delucci (Phillies) mentioned (which I believe they are mandated to NOT freely offer) that he'd been tested 3 or 4 times in the past 12-18 months. Perhaps he's a target for some reason? Who knows.

As it stands, if it's your intention is to suspect, then everyone is suspicious — especially guys hitting home runs at a furious pace like Pujols.

He doesn't appear to fit the profile whatsoever. He's been the same size his entire (known) career, although he's had some nagging injuries he's durable. His character is out there for everyone to see and it glows.

He's been a hitting machine since day 1. He's not really a homerun hitter either - not in a "bash-brother" sense anyway. He's just a great hitter with an easy stroke and has a huge zone in which he can really punish the ball. Pitchers really don't have anywhere to hide with him, the holes in his swing have yet to be exposed.

If he stays healthy there is nothing to stop him from (likely) being the greatest hitter this generation will see.

KL5

May 4, 2006
Yeah the STL has the Rams( I have nothing to say about their recent performance) the Blues( Hockey) they rock and we are a great sports town and more so our baseball stands out year after year. If you ever come here for a game VS Chicago it’s crazy. I think there is less pressure so to speak here because its the Midwest and we are more laid back. Not being a judge but it’s been said the New Yorkers are slightly rude and very demanding. That city is very fast and we more so enjoy the game here. It’s crazy like our Jobs let us leave to go to games. If you’ve never seen a sea of Red and hear the screams down the streets when a home run is hit, it’s intoxicating. I personally like to play but don’t want to watch. Yet going to a game is a real event. When our new stadium opened up it was nuts here. I work for Enterprise Rent A Car and no work was done that day, we all just got into it. If yall can visit its cool, there’s a lot to do and see. I’m proud to live here.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Steve Pindar said:
It seems to me that plenty of players do give credit/thanks to God and Jesus Christ when they hit a homerun, make a great play, etc.
Very seldom does a game goes by when you don't see a player crossing himself, pointing skyward, etc.
Do you seriously think the almighty has anything to do with homeruns!!

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Steve Pindar said:
I don't think God has anything to do with players hitting homeruns, but I do think there are a lot of people who would disagree with me on that.
Let them. I agree with you.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Going to Albert's service tonight

Forgive me father, but I have 4 tix, 6th row, 1st base side ? and I WILL sin tonight (if I'm lucky, more than once).

I may even do so loud enough for everyone to hear me when the ass*terick Barry Bonds steps away from his salt lick and gallops to the plate.

Barring any unforseen likenesses of Jesus, Mary and Joseph appearing on my fried dough**, I'll get some pic's of the action and share for tomorrow.

(**) Stormin' Norman's Fried Dough - From Maine, MaineGirl - thought you'd like to know that, ayyyuhh.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Bomb

I was still in the bar down the street, but Albert hit a bomb - off Matt Morris - so no great feat there, but it was crushed.

Great seats, great ballpark, a really good team and a really lousy team. Dominicans all over the field for both.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Wow! 23 hrs, 57 RBIs, after 46 games! I realize it's only the end of May, but barring any injuries Pujols has a chance* to set the "steroid free" record for home runs.

*Although he's off to a phenomenal start, he still has to have an above average remaining season. To match Maris' 61 hrs, he would still have to hit a pace 53 hrs for the rest of the season.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Good choice of words to describe Maris' record as STEROID free as opposed to DRUG free. No proof he participated, but use of amphetimines known as "greenies" was rampant in his era. You could argue that these might have had a greater impact on performance than steroids back then, when teams traveled by train and players partyed hearty til the wee hours.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Cleef said:
I was still in the bar down the street, but Albert hit a bomb - off Matt Morris - so no great feat there, but it was crushed.

Great seats, great ballpark, a really good team and a really lousy team. Dominicans all over the field for both.

Awesome pics Cleef. It looks like you had a great time!!! :classic: