Aloha!

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Hi. Your thoughtful remarks about DR noted.  I can only repeat my own take on many trips to Hawaii and my many many years of both vacation and living in DR and that is that one just cannot compare the quality of life one has in Hawaii (Honolulu vs Santo Domingo that is simply laughable in and of itself).  Weather in Hawaii perfect 80 degrees on most of the islands most of the year.  If a dominican should find that cold. Pity that dominican.  This is Not a contest. Quality of beaches cmon not looking at those grains of sand but if you talk about quality of beaches you must try Anguilla.  Of course beautiful beaches in DR those that have not been debased by some.  Punta Cana hotels meh. I live in Punta Cana and can speak to some of them.  The way Punta Cana is using up every available piece of land to build ever larger and ever glitzier hotels could wind up like the mess of hotels one next to the other in Cancun.  But again I digress.  Your post is looking to "sell DR" .... I stated my take on Hawaii and believe me Hawaii does not have to be sold.  By the way you do know the island of Maui has long been voted by readers of some of the worlds leading travel magazines and polls as Best Island for many many years.  Just sayin, not pushin.
Not even speaking to DR driving mentality which is 0. Glad you were in Kaui ... The garden island. Tiny and gorgeous. Sure you will not dispute the the beauty, the flowers, the cleanliness etc etc etc.  Also (though I sound like you pushin DR) not to forget that Big Island of Hawaii has volcanos diverse terrain...green sand beachs, black sand beaches, lush rain forests, 2 active volcanoes, Mauna Loa and Kilauea and one can visit Hawaii Volcanoes national park, snow on Mauna Kea skiing. You should really check much more.  You are so wrong about hotels.  Anywhere you get what you pay for.  Unfortunately for many of us in Punta Cana the builders appealing to "the all inclusive" types.  I was not aware of any all inclusives on any of the islands.  Punta Cana might be biting itself by the greediness going on in this overbuilding craze. Ruining much of the natural beauty that was once more prevelant.  Just look at the garbage on every road, the disrepair and muck in Veron and Higuey.  Very little interest in preserving natural beauty because of indifference.  Back to original point was that OP might not be able to find anyone to have a philosophical discussion with in Sosua.  Hope he can. 
But heck. Here I am!

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
i wish everybody here could produce responses like this..factual, knowledge filled, and well thought out.

Responding to Dolores...You must be Government Director of Tourism. you completely miss point.  You have been to one wonderful island, Kaui and you feel you can cite Sheraton Kauai? It is very unfortunate to cite room rates, percentages, this vs that.  Citing you need "airlifts"? .  Your remarks are so misplaced, misguided and misleading.  In Kauai there are helicopter trips to overlook the natural beauty.  You fail to mention the catamaran trips the snorkeling. Dolores you also come across in your post as knowing about Hawaii when you have been to one island and stayed at a hotel conference event. Please you obviously are showing ignorance about what you speak.  Using one island as your base is liking comparing DR to St Barts, you cannot. Hawaii as I stated are different islands each with its own unique identity.  Too bad you responded to my post as one who can only cite statistics.  And for a certain kind of tourist reading your post of hundreds of thousands pouring into DR (probably most in Punta Cana) would be the ultimate turnoff. Hotel rooms .... I have yet to find one 5 star hotel in this country.  There are 0. The 5 star hotels that once upon a time, Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton fled as fast as they could, after announcing theu would build when they realized DR Not Ready for real prime time.  At this time a Four Seasons project in Miches supposedly happening and put together by Cisneros group .  Hope this happens.  
Before I forget ... Prices here...you fail to mention 18percent plus 10 percent.  So add this to the price of your habichuelas.