Alternative to taxi fare from the Santo Domingo airport (las americas internacional)?

Dec 26, 2011
You make far too many assumptions, kinostar. Not snubbing my nose. Not bourgeois. I'm a hard-working construction guy. Just know that every airport ride(to and from) in the world, inside and outside the US, costs me about 25-35$. I always tip a little more because I appreciate people that work hard. Do unto others and all that. Not sure why I should expect to pay less in SD. Because it's a poor country and the little dogs should appreciate whatever scraps we throw them?

kinostar

May 24, 2012
You make far too many assumptions, kinostar. Not snubbing my nose. Not bourgeois. I'm a hard-working construction guy. Just know that every airport ride(to and from) in the world, inside and outside the US, costs me about 25-35$. I always tip a little more because I appreciate people that work hard. Do unto others and all that. Not sure why I should expect to pay less in SD. Because it's a poor country and the little dogs should appreciate whatever scraps we throw them?

i wouldn't know what taxis fares are to US airports because I take the bus to them. You stated previously that saving money isn't important to you. Fine. Then a topic on a cheap way to get from the airport isn't for you.

Dec 26, 2011
I sincerely admire your thriftiness. I guess I just think that there are normal costs associated with, well, living on this planet. I don't see why I'm so special that I should be able to skirt them. I have a very small business and if everyone I worked for was more worried about saving 10 or 20 bucks than quality, trustworthiness, security and service I would be living in the street.

kinostar

May 24, 2012
The airports in the Dominican Republic are for Dominicans as well as gringoes who may or may not mind paying $40 each time to get there. It is a hardship for alot of people and one that is visited on us by lack of bus service, thanks to the taxi union. Again, to anyone who feels getting to the airport cheaply is not worth discussing, perhaps you can find something else to do. I am a budget traveler and am interested in the lowest cost ways of getting to airports. Which is why I started this topic and from the PM's I've gotten, some others agree.

Airports charge the prices they do because people with money to burn don't care and will pay anything. I am an American and my own people are the worst concerning budgets: the very same ones are in foreclosure, have credit card debt, overeat junk food, can't put down the booze and cigarette addiction. Yet they would ridicule someone who wants to save money by taking a bus. To each her own.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
The airports in the Dominican Republic are for Dominicans as well as gringoes who may or may not mind paying $40 each time to get there. It is a hardship for alot of people and one that is visited on us by lack of bus service, thanks to the taxi union. Again, to anyone who feels getting to the airport cheaply is not worth discussing, perhaps you can find something else to do. I am a budget traveler and am interested in the lowest cost ways of getting to airports. Which is why I started this topic and from the PM's I've gotten, some others agree.

Last time to the airport (SDQ) was a month and a half ago, I was charged 800rd, when I returned paid 1000rd way less than $40

Airports charge the prices they do because people with money to burn don't care and will pay anything. I am an American and my own people are the worst concerning budgets: the very same ones are in foreclosure, have credit card debt, overeat junk food, can't put down the booze and cigarette addiction. Yet they would ridicule someone who wants to save money by taking a bus. To each her own.

last time I went from Santo Domingo to SDQ I paid 800rd this was using Apollo Taxi. When I returned I paid 1000rd to the taxi at the Airport to home. Little over your $40us for the round trip.negotiateociate with the drivers at the airport, someone will transport you for less than the posted fare if you refuse to pay it. This all took place a month ago. As I always arrive at night and leave on an early flight, no way I will be walking down the road from the airport to the main road to catch a bus.

Dec 26, 2011

I'm beginning to sense that this has NOTHING to do with rates for taxis. Safe travels!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
$15 for the shuttle bus JFK to Laguarda $35 for taxi. now there is a ripoff as its only about 5mi between the two airports.

kinostar

May 24, 2012
" here is how I do it all the time. When you go outside the moto drivers are there. For 100 pesos, they zip me to the bus stop where there is a special area for the air conditioned ones. It is about as fast and many times cheaper than the beat up taxis. You are wasting your time with the lonely hearts club posters. Look at their names! Jokers! They have nothing, no knowledge of this issue. They write just to interact with you. They come to the RD to find a cheap prostitute who pretends to be in love with them. That is it. Of course, it horrifies them anyone would suggest walking. Many think getting to the toilet is exercise and it is hard to take a moto if you so out of shape. "

kinostar

May 24, 2012
$15 for the shuttle bus JFK to Laguarda $35 for taxi. now there is a ripoff as its only about 5mi between the two airports.

You are so right. That is why, as a native New Yorker, I take the subway to the bus to get to the airports in Queens. And the train has no traffic problems and doesn't cause pollution. Between the two airports you might be stuck if time is short. But this is about the Dominican Republic.

Dec 26, 2011
Look at their names! Jokers! They have nothing, no knowledge of this issue. They write just to interact with you. They come to the RD to find a cheap prostitute who pretends to be in love with them.

That's quite an assumption based on a name on a DB. :)

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
this is some information I found on another site regarding transport to Santo Domingo:

Public transportation from the Airport to Town.

to get the shuttle!...-> the Bus/Mini-Van are in the second floor departure area. once you get out from customs exit door.. you go up stairs (departures) then go outside you have to walk to your leftside ..you will recognize the bus because usually has an Orange traffic cone in the roof ..the ride is less than 3 dollars. (but you have to exchange your money before take the bus)

the last stop is at Av Duarte. and you can ask the driver which bus you have to take to get downtown Zona Colonial.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
this is some information I found on another site regarding transport to Santo Domingo:

Public transportation from the Airport to Town.

to get the shuttle!...-> the Bus/Mini-Van are in the second floor departure area. once you get out from customs exit door.. you go up stairs (departures) then go outside you have to walk to your leftside ..you will recognize the bus because usually has an Orange traffic cone in the roof ..the ride is less than 3 dollars. (but you have to exchange your money before take the bus)

the last stop is at Av Duarte. and you can ask the driver which bus you have to take to get downtown Zona Colonial.

I very much doubt the accuracy of this information. I've never seen an Orange traffic cone roofed bus at SDQ, and I've gotten a taxi in the second floor departure area many times. There are gua gua's that transport locals to the airport who work there, etc. However, I do not believe they take passengers.

freckly

Dec 6, 2012
An employee who was picking up a dropped off rental car on the 2nd floor(departure), sent me to the hotel in Gazcue for USD 20. It was 8pm and pouring. The taxi drivers on the 1st floor(arrival) stick their price on usd 40 and lost their business on me.