Am I being scammed?/Looking for an Apt

zlj1

Aug 1, 2013
Here in Cabarete, just my electricity bill is between 7000 and 10,000 pesos a month (depending on A/C usage). My internet is over 3000 pesos a month, and we haven't even gotten into the big expenses.

WTH? 3000 pesos a month for Internet? What company are you with? I have Orange and I pay 897 pesos for unlimited internet that I can take with me all over DR. Worked perfectly fine during my bus ride all the way to Punta Cana.

Last edited:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
so you are renting without a contract? smart move... you are asking to be screwed...

I rent a villa and the lease is in US$, the owners, correctly so ask for payment in US$. The reasons are simple... they have to pay the rent of their business in US$ as well... and they are afraid of inflation.

What I do not understand is the big fuss about this... you agreed to pay 175$, I assume your income is in US$, so atm you earn more, so you do not feel the difference.

Don't worry about the exchange rate, worry about not having a contract. I sure hope you did not give a deposit, or you can kiss that goodbye.

BelgianK

zlj1

Aug 1, 2013
so you are renting without a contract? smart move... you are asking to be screwed...

Obviously, you did not read my post in which I answered your aforementioned questions. Your assumption that my income is in USD is wrong. It makes no absolute sound sense to pay with USD in a foreign country especially when the USD is about to collapse, unless you are a Sheeple of course. But hey, if making someone else's business more profitable puts the conscious at ease by all means pay more.
Simply put, I agreed to pay a certain amount in USD or RD and the amount has changed. No deposit involved.
Thank you for your post.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
I manage condos here in PC and all my contracts/negotiations are in USD. However, I am sympathetic towards those who are paid in pesos, I just ask that they pay me the rate of the day so that when I have to deposit it into the owner's account (always a USD one) then I don't get short changed.

If you have a rental in pesos (even without a contract) then the amount should not change. Don't pay anything more than RD$7,000, they are talking a crock of sh*t. I would never do that to someone renting from me.

Hopefully someone has answered your query about a great place to stay in the north and you can move, I would suggest you do so as soon as you can....

zlj1

Aug 1, 2013
I manage condos here in PC and all my contracts/negotiations are in USD. However, I am sympathetic towards those who are paid in pesos, I just ask that they pay me the rate of the day so that when I have to deposit it into the owner's account (always a USD one) then I don't get short changed.

If you have a rental in pesos (even without a contract) then the amount should not change. Don't pay anything more than RD$7,000, they are talking a crock of sh*t. I would never do that to someone renting from me.

Hopefully someone has answered your query about a great place to stay in the north and you can move, I would suggest you do so as soon as you can....

Thanks so much, I was really frustrated yesterday and you guys are making me feel better. I just want to be treated fairly without having to raise hell ALL the time lol. I got so tired of fighting lawsuits back in the States (Fair Housing ambassador) due to injustice and to come here looking for peace and have this happen, I am like damn. I know businesses are in it to make a profit (former banker) but is it worth your morality and soul? At what point will you have enough money? How many bridges will you have burned? Sorry to rant, Legal Studies/Criminal Justice Graduate. Have a great weekend everyone!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
slightly off topic, directed to frank12: 2 years ago a friend of mine used to rent one bedroom apartment, very tiny, here in POP. she was on the same street as the prison, just few corners down towards city center. her building was on the main road. tiled floors, aluminium panel windows, iron bars in the door and windows. her rent was 3000 or 3500 pesos a month. one street away from the prison, few blocks into the barrio another friend was renting her apartment, it was one of those old building built by balaguer, nothing pretty. her rent was almost the same and she had 3 bedroom apartment. her power bill was flat rate of 120 pesos a month. there are plenty of cheap rentals in the city if you are dominican and know where to look.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Hello zlj1, I am realtor in Juan Dolio and I have this to say to you. You need to get a contract that say how much is the rent for. If the contract agreement is in pesos then you pay in pesos but if it is in USD then you have to pay in USD or pesos at the central bank rate when you are buying dollars from the bank and not using the rate for when you change dollars. You can do contracts in any currency in this country as long as the landlord agrees to it. So my advice to you is to have a contract done to protect yourself from being kick out of your apartment without notice as there isn't any legal paper that says that you live there.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I am in Puerto Plata. The complex where I live has some empty apartments, I think, and there is also a place across the street. I have no idea what the current rent is since mine is fixed by contract, but if you are interested, PM me.

Rent is for furnished apartment with water, electricity and half cable included.

zlj1

Aug 1, 2013
slightly off topic, directed to frank12: 2 years ago a friend of mine used to rent one bedroom apartment, very tiny, here in POP. she was on the same street as the prison, just few corners down towards city center. her building was on the main road. tiled floors, aluminium panel windows, iron bars in the door and windows. her rent was 3000 or 3500 pesos a month. one street away from the prison, few blocks into the barrio another friend was renting her apartment, it was one of those old building built by balaguer, nothing pretty. her rent was almost the same and she had 3 bedroom apartment. her power bill was flat rate of 120 pesos a month. there are plenty of cheap rentals in the city if you are dominican and know where to look.

I agree with dv8 about cheap rentals; however you do not have to be Dominican you just have to know a few!:classic: Got me a place today for un mil pesos mas 24 hour utilities included paid in PESOS.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
I agree with dv8 about cheap rentals; however you do not have to be Dominican you just have to know a few!:classic: Got me a place today for un mil pesos mas 24 hour utilities included paid in PESOS.

Glad to hear it - now you can relax and enjoy yourself :)