American Airlines Expands Flights to DR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
American Airlines Planning Another Dominican Republic Expansion

By: Caribbean Journal Staff - June 25, 2023

Since the onset of the pandemic, the Dominican Republic has seen extraordinary visitor growth, a trend that has continued into 2023 with all-time arrival records set nearly every month.

This winter, the country will get an even bigger lift with a new expansion in service from American Airlines.

The world’s largest airline has is expanding flights across the Dominican Republic for the upcoming winter travel season, Caribbean Journal has learned.

From Charlotte, American is expanding its Puerto Plata flights to daily service.

American will also be ramping up its Charlotte-Punta Cana service to four daily flights, another boost for the Caribbean’s most popular all-inclusive destination.

From Miami, American Airlines will be increasing its service to Santiago, with an additional daily flight for a total of two daily nonstop flights between the two cities.

“This coming winter we’re looking forward to adding more service to the destinations in Latin America and the Caribbean that our customers want to visit,” said Jose Freig, Vice President of operations and commercial for Mexico, the Caribbean and Latin America at American Airlines. “We are proud to strengthen our lead as the largest U.S. airline in the region, with more flights and seats to more destinations than any other single carrier or partnership.”

The Dominican Republic additions are part of what is a broader ramp-up in service to the Caribbean for American, which is facing increased competition in the region from carriers like JetBlue, Spirit and, most notably, Frontier Airlines, which has added more new flights to the region than any other carrier since the pandemic.

If the Dominican Republic continues its current tourism pace, the destination could reach 8 million annual visitors this year, which would be a new record — and close to the country’s long-stated goal of topping 10 million annual visitors.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
American Airlines Planning Another Dominican Republic Expansion
I'm looking forward to the day they add a direct flight from Jacksonville to Santiago so that I can avoid their 8 hour layover in Miami.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Haven't checked, but a Buffalo to Charlotte, Charlotte to Puerto Plata itinerary would make me very happy. No need to deal with Newark, JFK or Miami airports.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Watch once Arajet starts to fly to the USA for flights at least from Santo Domingo to whichever routes Arajet fly to, carriers like AA, Jetblue, etc will drop their prices. It happens in all the routes Arajet has established so far.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CristoRey

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Watch once Arajet starts to fly to the USA for flights at least from Santo Domingo to whichever routes Arajet fly to, carriers like AA, Jerblue, etc will drop their prices. It happens in all the routes Arajet has established so far.

🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Watch once Arajet starts to fly to the USA for flights at least from Santo Domingo to whichever routes Arajet fly to, carriers like AA, Jerblue, etc will drop their prices. It happens in all the routes Arajet has established so far.
Once that happens, I'll fly on Arajet because I am eying for Sao Paulo since fare is cheap than AA itself.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Haven't checked, but a Buffalo to Charlotte, Charlotte to Puerto Plata itinerary would make me very happy. No need to deal with Newark, JFK or Miami airports.
Buffalo here, yet if they have a flight straight to DR, I'm going bananas.