American Airlines - US Air Merger??

ray718

May 28, 2010
I am glad they kept the miles program. I will be using it to travel on holy week.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Mergers are never a good thing for consumers. Fewer options means higher prices, etc...granted SOME consumers with special situations may benefit, but overall it is never a good thing. Delta took over Northwest, so now we have very little options out of Detroit; Fares are very expensive and Delta's frequent flyer program absolutely blows, whereas Northwest's was really nice. Not to mention they probably have the worst customer service as well.

I am platinum in USAir and used to be gold with AA (not anymore), but what I expect that will probably happen is that since USAir is basically taking over AA they will institute their policies. I will probably remain platinum in the new consolidated airline, but that's little consolation to me when flying anywhere will require me to use up tons of miles (Per USAir's policies) and not being able to buy one way or multi-city tickets with miles, which I can do now with AA.

Nope. Just saw both CEOs on TV. The new company will be part of one world. Great for me even if I have not flown US Air in years. I am exec plat on AA and between this merger and LAN aquiring TAM my one world choices have gone up.

The only negative so far as since AA ditched JFK to SDQ flights my first class upgrades tend to happen at the last minute rather than days before. Once I even had to fly coach. . . . .the horror!!!!

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
They, "DESERVE" each other!
I "left", 25,000 "miles" at AA, and switched to JetBlue!
I wouldn't fly AA for FREE!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

They all go through cycles of good and bad service. Jet Blue was great at first. I flew them all the time. I had two free round trips saved up. One day I wanted to use one. . . viola. . .gone. I call em. They say they expired. I said you guys advertise that miles don't expire. She said we used to say that, now we don't.

Started paying more to fly AA and get in at godly hours instead of 3:30 am. I have not flown jet blue since. I have not lost a single mile on AA in 10 years or more. I used about 200k plus miles last year and still have 400k miles. We are at midway point in fab and I have 22k miles for 2013. Since I fly to texas, chile and colombia this month I will have 50k miles by end of feb.

Smart move for Jet Blue to lose me as customer. . . . .

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Always felt bad for executive platinum members of AA/one world.....just means WAY too much traveling. Did that, but no more.
Wishing you the best. Yes it's nice to always turn left entering the plane, but sure gets old after a while, doesn't it?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I do hope that all stays the same with the miles program. I have over 80 thousand miles. I too received a email saying all is "well" but I will believe it when and if they honor my miles later this year. Maybe I should go ahead and book now....

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Always felt bad for executive platinum members of AA/one world.....just means WAY too much traveling. Did that, but no more.
Wishing you the best. Yes it's nice to always turn left entering the plane, but sure gets old after a while, doesn't it?

Yeah it gets old. Better than turning left is getting seats that recline all the way flat on long trips. I get 8 system wide upgrades for exec platinum but get 4 more for doing over 125k points and had one left over from last year. DFW to SCL in coach when you are my size is a pain in the ass.

I don't care about food, drinks, pampering etc etc etc. I want leg room and getting off the plane first doesn't suck. I flew in last night and was the first to hit tourist card counter and first through immigration. My bags took a while but I would rather wait there than on immigration or tourist card lines.

I also dig double miles. Any time I need a break I use miles for a few nights at Alisei in las terenas, or when we go on longer trips to jamaica or Tobago etc. . .

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
According to the news, this merger has been approved and will be going through in about a month.

Supposedly, someone like me with AA frequent flier miles will be able to use them to fly US Air. I hope they keep their PHL-SDQ direct flight!!

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I just got some good news from JetBlue about my flight to Boston tomorrow, It's Cancelled"!
"Good News", because I wasn't going anyway, and had planned to pay to change my flight to July first this am.
Their email gave me a new date of 11 November to go, but also the option of a cancellation, and a full refund of my ticket for tomorrow.
I choose the full refund!
Thank You, Mami Naturalesa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

You're hot. Hurry, buy some 'loto'. :)

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
It passed the next to the last hurdle today, so now almost a slam dunk, but the 2 airlines had to agree to sell some major, hard to get slots mainly at Reagan and LGA and a few other choice hubs. Give and take. Eric Holder held his ground, like him or loathe him. He knew without those mandates, they would gouge consumers, that's just business. Whatever, both will make major $$ from selling the slots. Short term gain, but no long-term gouging......for a while, until the loopholes not published get pushed through from lobbyists.
They'll have a lot of leverage.
It's disconcerting too that the employee's will again get the short end of the stick, and the execs walk
away with great stock options and a nice big bonus to wrap up their short tenure at the helm.
What an accumulated 1.6 million miles means to AAdvantage members after the merger, I have no idea.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
They've been repainting the US Airways planes here in Miami International's hangers all summer/fall long....

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I pray they keep the PHL-SDQ [Philadelphia - Santo Domingo] direct flight!!!
If it goes anything like the recent Continental-United merger you won't notice a thing. It was a long slow process. Like mentioned above, they paint the planes, several months later the two frequent flyer programs combine as one, if you have a credit card linked to one of the airlines they will give you a new one. It was a long, but smooth process.

You can keep track of the changes in the link I provided above.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I wonder how the AA D3 non rev tickets will be affected. Does US Air even have a D3? Any experts on here?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If you currently have reservations with A/A or USAir they will be honored. Also your miles plan will also be honored. This mergerhas been in the works for quite a while and the FTC finally gave it's approval. It will still be hard to beat Jet Blue service into the DR.

LTSteve