American Debit Visa card... bank is DR will let me take out US $?

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Yes you can go to BANCO POPULAR and tell them that you want to take out 1 to 3,000.00USD from you debit or credit card and if your limit allows it then you will get it. Just the first week of this month a friend of mine walked into bank popular location in Juan Dolio and ask to withdraw 1700.00USD in USD and they gave to him without any problem. Just bring in your passport with you and that should be. By the way there would be fees by the bank here for giving you the cash.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Send it to yourself by Western Union as US Dollars - pick up the US Dollars at a Western Union office.
It will cost you the WU transfer - but that will enable you to use your debit card and be able to pick up US Dollars.
Just an idea.

This won't work, as you will get the money in Pesos at a bad rate. WU in the DR does not pay in Dollars, even if you send dollars.

Apr 13, 2011
This won't work, as you will get the money in Pesos at a bad rate. WU in the DR does not pay in Dollars, even if you send dollars.
Yes, you can, Western Union does give you US Dollars when the transfer is sent as US Dollars to the DR. You will receive US Dollars in the DR at Western Union when you do the transfer as "Send as US Dollars". I have been doing it for years now.
If you do not pick the "Send as US Dollars" option, then they will send it as Pesos as a horrible exchange rate.
But, yes, you can send it as US Dollars and then walk into a Western Union office in the DR and get US Dollars - then you can exchange the US Dollars for a good exchange rate where and when you want to. I have done this, so that is why I offered it as a suggestion.

Feb 7, 2007
WU in the DR does not pay in Dollars, even if you send dollars.

Yes it does. You have to specify "payout currency" when making the transfer. The fees are different for USD / DOP payout. But if funding from a bank account, it's the same fee for USD / DOP payout.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
I am set up with an online account with Western Union. It did not cost me anything to set up the online account. And the online transfer is the cheapest way to send money via Western Union. I am able to send myself $1000 Money In Minutes for only $20 (does not matter which country my computer is in, DR or US) - and $20 is less than a bank wire transfer fee and no waiting period, money is available immediately - so I have done that recently a couple of times. I always send it as US dollars and then exchange what I need as pesos into pesos after I receive the US dollars, because you get a better exchange rate that way. I also signed up for the Gold Card points, so at times I am able to reduce the fee even further. Last week I did this and it only cost me $8 to transfer myself $1000, because I had enough pints for a $12 fee reduction...
Just something for you to consider...
everytime we do it with WU Dr charges to much. I have an online account and did the same thing. 8.00 on US side but the DR side gouges us. We do better with bank transfers. When you went to pick up money they did not take any out??? You got the full 1000.00???? i have never had that happen. Where did you go??? to do this?????

Feb 7, 2007
mgbmike: just select USD payout. If you select USD payout you will get the full amount in USD. Also you get the cheapest WU fee when you fund from your bank account (takes 5 days but it's only 4 or 5 dollars fee)

I have not received WU transfer for about a year now, so it may have changed, but I doubt so.