American wanting to bring Dominican fiancee to marry in U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
I have a Skype window open and a browser open to Google Translate, which is not very good BTW. I cut and paste her Spanish and get a translation, type my reply in English, paste the Spanish translation of what I said into the chat window in Skype. Early on, her niece would be there sometimes and she speaks English. The first time I called her on the telephone it was a good thing her niece was there! LOL, that was a difficult conversation. Her niece kept saying "how did you two meet when you can't even talk to each other?"

One time my fiancee was telling me a story and it just wouldn't translate, so I saved what it translated to, had her tell her niece the story, and then she told me the story. The translator was WAY OFF. I am picking up Spanish by reading the translations but I still don't know all the tenses. There are cheap English classes here if I can get her over. When I was there, we would do the same thing with a laptop at her family's house or at my hotel. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Thanks for the replies. I'm kind of disappointed to hear I should plan on having to spend money to visit more. I know they're concerned with fraud, but I would think it would be worse using some kind of marriage broker to find someone. I've known her (and enough others) to know if she was lying about something after this long. We generally are on Skype for at least an hour a day.

This is kind of funny. The website we met on said never send money to someone you meet, they'll tell you a sad story about a family member who is ill or something. Well, she never asked for money but mentioned a family member that has had a long illness, can't walk. I met him, yes it's true unfortunately.

She is a good person that goes to church and stays at home unless she visits family. We are both kind of "older" so neither of us wants to have children and she has none. I have a teen-aged daughter who tries to talk to her, my fiancee, and her new cousin, "our" niece. My daughter wants to visit with me, but I have to deal with my ex-wife to take her. That's a whole different, larger, problem, LOL.

The Spanish - English situation is not insurmountable, my commander in chief here refuses point blank to learn herself English so she has to put up with my poor Spanish !. Good thing though is that our Dominican born twins are now developing themselves in both Spanish and Glaswegian Scottish. Stick in there, it can work out.

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
whether off topic of not please investigate the process of bringing an immigrant to the United States - BEFORE - deciding...in particular read the AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT UNDER SECTION 213A OF THE ACT; part seven (small print) and abbreviated states: "I agree to provide the sponsored immigrant whatever support is necessary to maintain the sponsored immigrant at an income that is at least 125% of the Federal poverty guidelines. AND CERTAINLY LET THIS LAST STATEMENT SOAK IN "I understand that my obligation will continue until my DEATH or the sponsored immigrant has become a U.S. Citizen, can be credited with 40 quarters of work, depart the United States permanently, or DIES! In short, a divorce does not apply nor does it save you IF something doesn't work out between the two of you...YOU are still accountable for support.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
whether off topic of not please investigate the process of bringing an immigrant to the United States - BEFORE - deciding...in particular read the AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT UNDER SECTION 213A OF THE ACT; part seven (small print) and abbreviated states: "I agree to provide the sponsored immigrant whatever support is necessary to maintain the sponsored immigrant at an income that is at least 125% of the Federal poverty guidelines. AND CERTAINLY LET THIS LAST STATEMENT SOAK IN "I understand that my obligation will continue until my DEATH or the sponsored immigrant has become a U.S. Citizen, can be credited with 40 quarters of work, depart the United States permanently, or DIES! In short, a divorce does not apply nor does it save you IF something doesn't work out between the two of you...YOU are still accountable for support.

great advice, banzai. so, if she accumulates a string of liabilities while living with Moises from Laguna Salada in Washington Heights, they can go after your butt till DEATH!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I don't know about that. I appreciate the warning but death and taxes are all I know to be certain. She could have had me taking her out to dinner every night while I was there but preferred to have me eat with her at her home with her family. I asked her why we didn't visit more spots, museums, etc. and she told me she was worried about me being robbed.

I know she has no sense of direction. We left my hotel to walk up to El Conde. It wasn't a straight shot to El Conde, we went north and then had to go east, then back north to reach it. We exited El Conde on a different street and I let her lead the way, until she got us lost. When she asked some locals, they acted like they didn't know the way to the street or the name. I knew we were too far south as I could see El Malecon.

All the talking on the corner drew the attention of a cop, and I took off across the street. She finally followed me and I found the hotel. It's quite a different experience to get the door unlocked to get out, and the door unlocked to get back in.

I'm pretty sure we drove through a semi-riot in the middle of the street to get to her house, in the dark, from the airport on my 1st night there. So yeah, I don't think anybody's exactly in control.

The problem is that you and your girlfriend will have to convince the interviewer that you have a real relationship. Meeting in person only once in what space of time? Not sure how they will look at that. As mentioned earlier try www.dominicanstotheusa.com

Good luck

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The problem is that you and your girlfriend will have to convince the interviewer that you have a real relationship. Meeting in person only once in what space of time? Not sure how they will look at that. As mentioned earlier try Database Error

Good luck

I've been on this interview and it's a very frank, short conversation about how well the Bride and Groom know one another and how compatible they appear. These interviewers are trained to look for signs, red flags if you will that would indicate a lack, thereof.

I was asked about my work and she was asked about hers. Then they asked each of us questions about the other's family, their upbringing and education. In my case this was not difficult because my Wife was Kenyan and a native English speaker as well as Kiswahili and Luo. She also had a good command of Spanish, Norsk and some German. She had 3 college degrees and had been in the country for about 9 years on Student and Work visas. Her Dad was a University Professor and her Mom was an official with the International Red Cross.

Now I'm imagining a conversation in English with the Groom, Spanish with the Wife and him asking each of them the same questions and they not knowing whether they gave the same answers because there's no "Google Translate" allowed at the USCIS interview. Then when it comes to education, employment and other considerations....well...let's just say that we're up to our ears in unskilled labor around here.

I've heard of folks setting themselves up to fail but this one is EPIC. They fail on 10 check boxes out of 10 and any money spent pursuing a visa for this Bride is a waste of time and money and it doesn't sound like they've got enough of either to be throwing it down the toilet.

I like going to the ball park and watching the games but dang if I want to take the bleachers home with me, it just doesn't make any sense.

BTW, my Kenyan Ex and I barely lasted 5 years. I thought it was funny because after our interview the interviewer told us "you guys complete one another". Shows you how much they know. I'm a free agent for life now conducting interviews for temp positions.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
The only thing the interviewer is looking for is fraud. Compatibility, quality of the interactions, number of visits, all of that is basically irrelevant, except to the extent it informs whether there may or may not be fraud. I see no problem in "passing" such an interview for a couple that does not speak the same language and who has only met each other in-person once. All that needs to be done is to show the interviewer that the relationship is legitimate, using whatever evidence is available.

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
In the middle of this now to bring my better half here...I-129F Visa. Fiancee visa.
I am doing it myself. A NYC attorney is $2000(good one, but still). You must document that you have met at least 1x in the last two years in person, demonstrate through passport stamps,plane tickets, travel together, Skype calls (continuous communication), phone top ups, wire transfers(providing spousal support) that you are a couple. On the US side you will need to provide copies of your birth cert, passport and as said before demonstrate and income and willingness to support. You will need a letter submitted with the application about your relationship and how you know each other and that you will marry in the US within 90 days of arrival in the US. Expect 6 months for them to reply and then she will need to go to Santo Domingo for an interview with the consulate Embassy. Her Dominican passport will need to be in order to travel when they say GO.

We first met 8 years ago - and after 2 full time years together here, just now consider going thru the process for US of A.

Ask me anything. I am sitting here going thru the papers now doing this process.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In the middle of this now to bring my better half here...I-129F Visa. Fiancee visa.
I am doing it myself. A NYC attorney is $2000(good one, but still). You must document that you have met at least 1x in the last two years in person, demonstrate through passport stamps,plane tickets, travel together, Skype calls (continuous communication), phone top ups, wire transfers(providing spousal support) that you are a couple. On the US side you will need to provide copies of your birth cert, passport and as said before demonstrate and income and willingness to support. You will need a letter submitted with the application about your relationship and how you know each other and that you will marry in the US within 90 days of arrival in the US. Expect 6 months for them to reply and then she will need to go to Santo Domingo for an interview with the consulate Embassy. Her Dominican passport will need to be in order to travel when they say GO.

We first met 8 years ago - and after 2 full time years together here, just now consider going thru the process for US of A.

Ask me anything. I am sitting here going thru the papers now doing this process.

Sounds exactly like what I did in 1976. I never had to appear at the US Embassy, only him. He had to bring the proof with him, and leave his passport with them. It was fast and easy in our case, because he already had a tourist visa and had been to the US many times. We did the K-1 so he could work legally as soon as he moved to NYC, which he did. [He just retired in May, lots of water under the bridge].

Best of luck to caribeman and the OP.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
You're welcome, Mike.
Likewise, if you ever feel you need an opinion, you can shoot me a pm. While I never went through the visa process myself, I did get to follow one, painfully close, just a couple of years ago, and I got to know many of the official and unofficial details.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
I didn't read the entire thread, it's a bit much. I've also been through the process and there is no need for a lawyer unless there are very special circumstances. As long as all the forms are filled out properly and fees are paid before she comes to the US, the likelihood is there will be no problem getting her here. Once here and after marrying, there's a tough interview with DHS where they try to determine if the marriage is real or one of convenience. There is a very active website that helps walk you through the process and there's plenty of helpful people to talk to:

Step-by-Step Guide on How to File for a K-1 Visa for your Foreign Fiance(e)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I didn't read the entire thread, it's a bit much. I've also been through the process and there is no need for a lawyer unless there are very special circumstances. As long as all the forms are filled out properly and fees are paid before she comes to the US, the likelihood is there will be no problem getting her here. Once here and after marrying, there's a tough interview with DHS where they try to determine if the marriage is real or one of convenience. There is a very active website that helps walk you through the process and there's plenty of helpful people to talk to:

Step-by-Step Guide on How to File for a K-1 Visa for your Foreign Fiance(e)

Thank you

dalark

Aug 5, 2013
gas,
Thank you, that is REALLY helpful. I have always thought the fiance visa was the way to go... There seems to be divided schools of thought on which one is the better route for spouses travel and citizenship (and a great deal of garbage information regarding both). I have seen more straightforward"get it done" info in this one thread, than much of the info I have gotten from "friends" and even my lawyer (what a joke....yeah he wanted $800.also) to essentially set up a file and maintain it somewhere in his office for a few years.
The problem I have in evaluating which path is better than the other is that even if a person has walked through the steps of marrying here and applying and doing everything here vs the K-1 fiance route is you tend to be the expert on the one you have done and it is very rare for someone to have done both, so the advice I get is biased from the side of the person who has walked through that particular procedure. That is why I talked to a lawyer ....thinking surely he had been schooled on all roads to visaland....jeje, as I said he could do it he told me, but was very reluctant to give me any real info, only told me both could be done in six months for a price, if you had the right connections. (my God, am I tired of that story...). So I left him to carry on with his day and whoever was next on his list.
The question I have for the entire group, I'm sure someone knows.....better to marry here and apply for visa or better to marry in the states and apply for visa? but the real thing I am looking for is why is that better?
....and while I am at it, Has anyone experience with both procedures?

gas

Jul 28, 2013
gas,
Thank you, that is REALLY helpful. I have always thought the fiance visa was the way to go... There seems to be divided schools of thought on which one is the better route for spouses travel and citizenship (and a great deal of garbage information regarding both). I have seen more straightforward"get it done" info in this one thread, than much of the info I have gotten from "friends" and even my lawyer (what a joke....yeah he wanted $800.also) to essentially set up a file and maintain it somewhere in his office for a few years.
The problem I have in evaluating which path is better than the other is that even if a person has walked through the steps of marrying here and applying and doing everything here vs the K-1 fiance route is you tend to be the expert on the one you have done and it is very rare for someone to have done both, so the advice I get is biased from the side of the person who has walked through that particular procedure. That is why I talked to a lawyer ....thinking surely he had been schooled on all roads to visaland....jeje, as I said he could do it he told me, but was very reluctant to give me any real info, only told me both could be done in six months for a price, if you had the right connections. (my God, am I tired of that story...). So I left him to carry on with his day and whoever was next on his list.
The question I have for the entire group, I'm sure someone knows.....better to marry here and apply for visa or better to marry in the states and apply for visa? but the real thing I am looking for is why is that better?
....and while I am at it, Has anyone experience with both procedures?

It's been a while and I don't remember the reason, but it's faster to get your girlfriend to the US if you wait to get married in the US. Things might have changed since I went through this and I strongly recommend going to the visajourney forum to make inquiries. You will find people with a lot more expertise over there then you will here, more so than many lawyers. You can also download all the necessary forms there.

Mike_in_Fl

Sep 10, 2013
Holy zombie thread Batman! I'm bringing this one back from the dead. My fiancee arrived May 2nd of this year and we got married July 14th. I ended up doing all the paperwork myself starting last July. I think the USCIS acknowledged my visa petition at the beginning of August. I think I found out some useful information along the way. First, from what I've been told by the folks working at USCIS on the phones, they have 60 days to respond to your petition or any time they ask you for more information. They did twice in my case, once asking for a court stamped copy of a previous divorce, and then asked for a letter from her stating she wanted to get married within 90 days of arriving. That brought in the extra cost of having to get the letter translated from Spanish by someone certified and overnighted, but worth the effort. When they approve your petition, you get notification that it is approved and moving on to the National Visa Center. The USCIS will issue you an I-797 form at this time.

I knew that the NVC received everything in January of this year and forwarded it to the consulate in Santo Domingo. Here's where one problem began. The consulate mailed me a letter dated the 29th of January stating how to continue the process via postal mail. I didn't receive that letter until Feb. 29th so I lost a month, actually more. I only had from 1/5/16 until 5/4/16 to get everything done to be granted an interview for the fiancee visa at the consulate. So realistically we had to start everything on March 1st. The process isn't too bad but you have to follow it to the letter. One of you has to create an account via links they provide you in the letter. And there is some craziness to it. Someone has to take money in one case to a bank in Santo Domingo, pay for the fee, and get a receipt. Then you have to enter the receipt number into the account you create on the government website to move to the next step. There is a long application you also have to do online. Then I had to schedule the appointment for a medical physical and a separate one for the interview at the consulate. I would advise you, if you're serious about this, BOTH SHOULD BE THERE for the interview. It was a fairly simple process for the interview but you'll be waiting. Think of the DMV and you'll have the idea. This was a little disconcerting because I watched my scheduled appointment time come and go wondering if I was even in the right place. They tell you not to show up more than 15 minutes early for your interview, try not to. They will only allow you in after they check the time of your appointment on your paperwork. Also, no phones, but there's a guy sitting in the shrubbery next to the embassy with a phone and a sign running a taxi service, no worries getting back to our hotel.

Other lessons learned. Make sure your fiancee brings ALL the paperwork they receive at all points in the process to the U.S. They will get a copy of their physical and you'll need that to file the I-485 to move them to permanent resident once you get married. Which brings up another lesson. When you look up fiance visas on the USCIS website, it states pretty clearly that if you get married within the 90 days alllowed for the visa, there's no problem with them being in the country while the I-485 is processing. What they don't tell you is that the fee for this last step is $1,070. All the travel websites are still, as of March, giving the wrong location of the embassy. There is only one place within walking distance to the embassy and it fills up fast. Book early, guesstimate when you want to set your interview date

Mike_in_Fl

Sep 10, 2013
I just spent time re-reading the entirety of the thread and I've got to say I had a good laugh. The dude that should've been waiting for her in the Miami airport must have been late because she caught her connecting flight to Tampa, didn't run off to NYC YET and you know the rest from above. We still use Google translate, lol, but not as much. We're both learning. I told her there was a Spanish Seventh Day Adventist church here a long time ago and even though she's not an SDA, she met a Dominicana there who was born in San Juan like my wife. My wife still has to use Skype here to talk to her family. That's when the spanish goes fully automatic. One night the whole family was there and one of my brothers-in-law was saying "I love you" to me and I about busted a gut when I caught her telling him in Spanish that it was the cerveza talking.

Due to the good advice, I took more trips over there but nothing in our situation ever really changed. We're still pretty happy with each other and it's hard to believe she's already been here 3 months. Will everything last? I don't know of any guarantees in life so who can say. I forgot to add above, her physical was on 4/11 and the interview was on the 15th. The next possible weekend I could have been there was right before she left, so we were cutting it close on the May 4th deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.