AMET to sell unclaimed vehicles

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
yes that is an older photo. the auctions are spread out into 4 locations at the impound lots. I hope they are not the same time.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Are these auctions open to the public? Can a gringo bid? Where and when etc...

I am trying to find out. I may have to call them. I sent an email on Sunday but no reply yet. They will be in march or later since they have only 21 days to pay. they are in towns all over DR. Some are Villa Mella, Santo Domingo North; San Isidro, the National District and in Santo Domingo West.

I am a gringo but I can get my family to bid for people. We know many people in government so I think I can get to bid somehow.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
I have emailed AMET 4 times with no replies. I posted the question on there FB page. no answer. My son is in the automotive business and he is going to check into it some more

Clifford Weaver

Feb 18, 2016
alrighty then...........

I am trying to find out. I may have to call them. I sent an email on Sunday but no reply yet. They will be in march or later since they have only 21 days to pay. they are in towns all over DR. Some are Villa Mella, Santo Domingo North; San Isidro, the National District and in Santo Domingo West.

I am a gringo but I can get my family to bid for people. We know many people in government so I think I can get to bid somehow.

im a large guy..... where can i get a decent price on a car? like a chevy tahoe,ford explorer? :cool:

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
im a large guy..... where can i get a decent price on a car? like a chevy tahoe,ford explorer? :cool:

just like anywhere. private sale is the best way to get a vehicle normally. I buy trucks and equipment at auctions in usa to
resell. That's another way, but you have to ship here. its tough to find a real decent used vehicle here at a good price. I got a really nice ford escape AWD a year ago, 2006 for 5,000 usd. low mileage and leather int. just can't be in a hurry,. try
facebook, everything sosua or everything Puerto plata and some fair deals show up

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Iy will probably be like the American embassy auctions. They start at 8 and when you get there everything of value is sold !

they do not know how to do auctions. They obviously do not use the GSA to do them then.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
just like anywhere. private sale is the best way to get a vehicle normally. I buy trucks and equipment at auctions in usa to
resell. That's another way, but you have to ship here. its tough to find a real decent used vehicle here at a good price. I got a really nice ford escape AWD a year ago, 2006 for 5,000 usd. low mileage and leather int. just can't be in a hurry,. try
facebook, everything sosua or everything Puerto plata and some fair deals show up

what you got is the exception to the rule. the chances of getting that car for that price on a regular basis are slim to none. if you need a car within a normal time frame, forget about falling into one of those steals.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
what you got is the exception to the rule. the chances of getting that car for that price on a regular basis are slim to none. if you need a car within a normal time frame, forget about falling into one of those steals.

yes like I said it takes time. I am in the automotive business so I look all the time. the deals show up and you have to be prepared to buy. if people know you are looking it greatly increases your chances. I have seen some OK cars on COROTOS and SUPERCARROS that are fair but not a steal. I just passed up a honda50 scooter complete ,working and running for 150.00. I sent them to a friend. but you are right its tough. deals on cars are never on a regular basis in any country

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
yes like I said it takes time. I am in the automotive business so I look all the time. the deals show up and you have to be prepared to buy. if people know you are looking it greatly increases your chances. I have seen some OK cars on COROTOS and SUPERCARROS that are fair but not a steal. I just passed up a honda50 scooter complete ,working and running for 150.00. I sent them to a friend. but you are right its tough. deals on cars are never on a regular basis in any country

i am in the business of finding cars for expats here. i have found quite a few great cars, but the idea of great deals is secondary...what you have to find is a great car. it is not easy work, i can assure you..

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
i am in the business of finding cars for expats here. I have found quite a few great cars, but the idea of great deals is secondary...what you have to find is a great car. It is not easy work, i can assure you..

we do the same thing then.:classic: I LIKE the great deals and the great cars to me they go hand in hand. a great deal does not mean a great car. I don't need assurance hahaha. plenty of junk here. we rebuild motors here in Puerto plata to so we can fix them up and get them correct.

anyway I hope to bid on some for parts

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
we do the same thing then.:classic: I LIKE the great deals and the great cars to me they go hand in hand. a great deal does not mean a great car. I don't need assurance hahaha. plenty of junk here. we rebuild motors here in Puerto plata to so we can fix them up and get them correct.

anyway I hope to bid on some for parts

interesting, regarding the rebuilding thing. i have always wondered what is the local standard in things like reboring blocks, shaving heads, and just setting things like lash.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
interesting, regarding the rebuilding thing. i have always wondered what is the local standard in things like reboring blocks, shaving heads, and just setting things like lash.

All of are work is performed to AERA rebuilding standards for all engines, we are members. Don't know what a local standard
is.

http://www.aera.org/

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
UPDATE
AMET told me in an email they are not in charge of the auction. Here is their quote.

AmetRD Esta instituci?n no manejar? la subasta, investigue en Bienes Nacionales.
This institution won't be driving the auction, investigate in national assets.
Automatically Translated

Like ? Reply ? 7 minutes ago

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
UPDATE
AMET told me in an email they are not in charge of the auction. Here is their quote.

AmetRD Esta instituci?n no manejar? la subasta, investigue en Bienes Nacionales.
This institution won't be driving the auction, investigate in national assets.
Automatically Translated

Like ? Reply ? 7 minutes ago

Several of us are counting on you to keep at it until you know if you would please.
Der Fish