AMRATS are hassing tourists again!

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Amrats are again hasssling tourists in front of their evil den. Also, The Nat'l Puke has joined in. They are stopping cars above Sosua Abeyo and at the East side near the Russian enclave. Also they hassled an ex-pat Resident for mucho time near Europa Hotel. :mad::mad::mad:

May 12, 2005
Amrats are again hasssling tourists in front of their evil den. Also, The Nat'l Puke has joined in. They are stopping cars above Sosua Abeyo and at the East side near the Russian enclave. Also they hassled an ex-pat Resident for mucho time near Europa Hotel. :mad::mad::mad:

121031-broken_record.jpg

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Christmas is coming up, they need the extra cash for the holidays! Make sure you have your doc's on you or be prepared to pay higher "tips" than usual. Will get back to normal once the holidays are over.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009

So you hate Sosua, and feel the need to bash it in another thread, but here you are. BACK AGAIN.

There must be something you like here?

BelgianK

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
They do this every year when you need to have the new marbette on you windshield. They don't hastle you if it is displayed. I haven't been stopped in Sosua, Cabarete, PP or anwhere for that matter for over 3 yrs now. The last time was for speeding on the new Samana - Santo Domingo highway. Just make sure you have your marbette displayed, seatbelt on, and not talking on your cell phone and you shouldn't have any problems.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Can you read? I am making you aware of police abusing their authority !

I can read!

So, please explain to me what AMET is doing wrong? Keep it simple, and in normal English.

But, first let me guess...
- the tourist did not wear his seatbelt, helmet, whatever...
- the expat did not have the marbete...

I have lived here for 3 years now, and I have never been stopped by AMET, and I drive by them daily. Yes, I have expat friends who have been stopped by AMET, but they also admitted they were in the wrong. And yes, they were screwed in having to pay more then normal. By the way, this also happens in the Phillipines you love so much.

I agree they are much more lenient towards motoconchos, but I guess you know why. Why waste your time on stopping some guy who does not have a nail to scratch his ass with? Is it fair? No, but if you are visiting countries like this, worldwide, it is the same story all over.

You cannot live with that? Fine, then stay in the States.

Oh, I forgot one thing. Why do expats, or tourists here, think they have the right to yell, or speak rudely to a police officer, and then complain about the officer's attitude? Maybe we should ask Frank the Tank, if I am not mistaken he is a police officer in NY, how he would react if you used the same attitude towards him?

Let me give you the answer, and he can correct it. He would come down hard on you. Aside from the no wearing of a seatbelt, he would probably slap a number of other offences on you (like insulting a police officer). If I were him, I would check your car inside out, and fine you for everything wrong.

They do the same here, although I am sure Frank does it the legal way, and here they have the tendency to stretch it.

BelgianK

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
They pick on tourists. Create false charges. You should not use Frank the Tank as an example. In his on words, he bribes them !

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
well i know to stop at an amber light now even if it will cause a pile up behind me and the light has an arrow on pointing forward, apparently it means stop even if you only have one second to decide , that one second cost me 1000 pesos even though people behind me came through and were not stopped

As we drove to the police station I pointed out all the driving errors I saw - man on phone, moto on wrong side of road and car reversing up the main road etc, he laughed and said he wasnt interested and finally he asked for a lift back from the police station to his post and wished me a good day

Last edited:
May 12, 2005
They pick on tourists. Create false charges. You should not use Frank the Tank as an example. In his on words, he bribes them !

I have never given AMET or PN 1 centavo and have never been issued a ticket and I can count on 2 fingers how many times they have stopped me for something. You must have a really rotten attitude when dealing with them.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
I have never given AMET or PN 1 centavo and have never been issued a ticket and I can count on 2 fingers how many times they have stopped me for something. You must have a really rotten attitude when dealing with them.
I don't deal with them. I ignore them and ''blow by'' them. And carry a low profile. Sorry Tank for the insult. Posibly you merely suggested bribery in an old thread?

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Today I was stopped in la Romana for allegedly turning right against a red light ... a blatent lie and I simply asked the man to accompany me to the police station ..he told me to move on and simply said ...cuidase ..So I parked my car and saw him try the same trick two more times

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Today I was stopped in la Romana for allegedly turning right against a red light ... a blatent lie and I simply asked the man to accompany me to the police station ..he told me to move on and simply said ...cuidase ..So I parked my car and saw him try the same trick two more times

Was this by AMET?

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
It is officially the holiday season. Is this really news? Play the no habla game or give a hundred pesos. Sheesh.