Another bad week on the roads

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Accidente-en-Constanza-El-Caribe-1024x610.png

Those who drive on the roads and highways in the Dominican Republic need to exercise all their defensive driving skills. In almost every newspaper, almost every day there are news items referring to traffic accidents, usually concerning motorcyclists. The past week was no different as over half a dozen persons, including an infant, lost their lives in traffic accidents.

In Constanza, three persons were killed when their motorcycle was hit by a pickup truck. In Las Galeras, on Samana Peninsula, a promising baseball player, his father and another individual were killed when their two motorcycles crashed into each other. The infant perished in a one-vehicle car accident. A tire exploded and the driver lost control, resulting in a violent crash. The other three passengers were injured.

With over three million motorcycles and nearly two million cars and light trucks on the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I briefly saw the photos of the accident in Coinstanza. My BIL loves to see this crap. Two men and a woman, the woman was cut into two pieces. Excessive speed by the motorcycle.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The only defense against these yahoos on Motos is to stay indoors...............

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The only defense against these yahoos on Motos is to stay indoors...............
Maybe it's the old curmugeon in me, but I don't give a shit if a moto dude offs himself unless it's not his fault. Remember the Canadadian from a few weeks ago.

My issue is that if a gringo hit them when they do something stupid, the gringo has to pay.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
You are on your own when on the roads in the DR. The people (includes government) don't care about you or themselves. Life is cheap.

Regards,

PJT

Reactions: Peterj

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Maybe it's the old curmugeon in me, but I don't give a shit if a moto dude offs himself unless it's not his fault. Remember the Canadadian from a few weeks ago.

My issue is that if a gringo hit them when they do something stupid, the gringo has to pay.
"My issue is that if a gringo hit them when they do something stupid, the gringo has to pay.". It is the issue for many victims, including the non gringos. If moto dudes or any other vehicle operator do not have documents, including insurance, they should be denied the ability to make anyone other than themselves to pay. That would be an incentive for them, the moto dudes to be legal. But, of course, common sense is not common in the DR.

Regards,

PJT

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
All of my vehicles have casa de conductor, so whenever there was any sort of incident with any other vehicle, the other driver was informed of such and told to follow me or my drivers to the casa de conductor for processing. No arguments or discussions.
Once there, fill out a police report and notify insurance, and that was it.
Only once did one of them go.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
All of my vehicles have casa de conductor, so whenever there was any sort of incident with any other vehicle, the other driver was informed of such and told to follow me or my drivers to the casa de conductor for processing. No arguments or discussions.
Once there, fill out a police report and notify insurance, and that was it.
Only once did one of them go.
Is that in lieu of regular liability insurance? Kinda like liability ++?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

It’s not just gringos. Our niece was hit broadside by a moto in her car while going through an intersection where she had a green light. He sued her! Her insurance company actually paid him 1 or 2 million pesos, I forget which.

• Wow
Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Is that in lieu of regular liability insurance? Kinda like liability ++?
No. You have to have your regular insurance.

Casa de conductor is where you find DIGESETT and reps of insurance companies all under one roof. So you can go in, get a police report in a matter of minutes, then take it to your insurance rep in the same office and file your report.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It’s not just gringos. Our niece was hit broadside by a moto in her car while going through an intersection where she had a green light. He sued her! Her insurance company actually paid him 1 or 2 million pesos, I forget which.
Buy a dashcam. With all the crazy things in Dominican roads, that footage is golden. No he said, she said. Just watch the clip.

Reactions: Seamonkey