another divorce question

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I am trying to figure out the best (and most economical) way to get a divorce from my Dominican spouse. I can afford the divorce but not the travel costs and I don't think my ex will be able to get time off work, etc. to attend court. He won't contest it but I don't think he will be happy about the divorce so I don't expect he will go out of his way to help. Is it possible to appoint someone to appear on my behalf in court? We were married in Sosua, I am from Canada, living in Canada, he is from the DR and living in the DR. This is something that I'd like to get behind me before the end of the year. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nelly

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Nelly have you checked the cost in Canada? If the laws haven't changed all they do is send him a registered letter and if he doesn't contest you will get your divorce. It might cost more than DR but you are saving the cost of traveling. I do think you have to be separated for a year though.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
i HOPE THE dr legal beagle gets on this one.

If he is here, and if he won't contest it, a no contest, normal divorce is nearly free. The lawyer draws up the papers, and submits them. It will take some time but I am sure that it can be handled by proxy, after the initial appearance. It is just paperwork.

Let's let Mr. Guzmán tell us how it is.

HB :D:D:D

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Most Economical: a standard mutual consent divorce.

Requirements: a) both spouses in agreement, b) married for at least two years, c) Dominican courts must have jurisdiction (one of the spouses resides here).

Faster but more expensive: mutual consent divorce for foreigners (?quick divorce?).

Requirements: a) both spouses in agreement, b) spouses must be either foreigners or Dominicans who legally reside abroad, c) at least one of the spouses must appear in court.

Slowest but less expensive than the quick divorce: divorce for cause, for example, on grounds of incompatibility.

Requirements: a) Dominican courts must have jurisdiction (one of the spouses resides here), b) witnesses must be presented in court to prove incompatibility, c) plaintiff (spouse suing for divorce) usually required to appear in court.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Thank you Fabio. My next step will be to see if he has any objections to the divorce, and will go from there. What are other grounds for divorce? Is abandonment one of them?
Thanks so much.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Fabio J. Guzman said:
Most Economical: a standard mutual consent divorce.

Requirements: a) both spouses in agreement, b) married for at least two years, c) Dominican courts must have jurisdiction (one of the spouses resides here).

Faster but more expensive: mutual consent divorce for foreigners (?quick divorce?).

Requirements: a) both spouses in agreement, b) spouses must be either foreigners or Dominicans who legally reside abroad, c) at least one of the spouses must appear in court.

Slowest but less expensive than the quick divorce: divorce for cause, for example, on grounds of incompatibility.

Requirements: a) Dominican courts must have jurisdiction (one of the spouses resides here), b) witnesses must be presented in court to prove incompatibility, c) plaintiff (spouse suing for divorce) usually required to appear in court.

So how much are these quick divorces and how quick are they????

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
If You Say So...

M.A.R. said:
Asking a question doesn't mean anything. :cheeky:
I'm doing pretty good, thanks. With your pending divorce and all, I hope you're doing well. I can't recommend any good lawyers, but I can "be there" for you.

-Helpmann ;)