Any Defense Against Extortion

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
It would be a lot cheaper just to take a nice college girl with you from your home state, they can do the same thing and might not give you an unwanted itch.

Exactly!!!!!

Maybe he has no game back at home.:bored:

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
If she does file a legitimate police report, they will let you back in to the country, but won't let you leave. This happened to a Canadian working in our construction project. They had the same names, but different passport numbers. It was mistaken identity, but he had to wait until he got a copy of his expired passport to show he wasn't in the DR when the complaint was lodged.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
No game?

An all expenses paid Caribbean vacation is game.

Elmer Fudd could get a travelling companion with that. Just show her the tickets and try not to say anything to screw it up.

There's some little gringa making a bare subsistance wage at a job that she hates who would do anything for a trip to the Caribbean. Take her to Punta Cana for 4 days at under a grand including airfare. If he asks 10 Women to accompany him 3 agree. Pick one.

The problem would then be getting rid of them after the trip is over.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
It is not that much of a stretch of the imagination to believe that a person you pay for sex (a prostitute as we used to call them) also has the capability to lie and extort.

That probably sounds a bit 'fuddy-duddy' but would you be surprised if a hooker tried to roll you in your home country?

Probably best avoided unless you know what you are doing.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
It is not that much of a stretch of the imagination to believe that a person you pay for sex (a prostitute as we used to call them) also has the capability to lie and extort.

That probably sounds a bit 'fuddy-duddy' but would you be surprised if a hooker tried to roll you in your home country?

Probably best avoided unless you know what you are doing.

Very good point. The OP started out explaining it was an argument with his "girlfriend" but the whole 10 day vacation thing took the "girlfriend" notion and downgraded it. I don't know if they'd started a relationship through a dating site or met through friends or what but the only people I know who will be your girlfriend for 10 days also expect the going rate for their services as your "girlfriend".

Maybe he simply didn't understand that it wasn't his suave and debonair but his pesos and dollars which swept her off her feet and as an employee she was entitled to her severance fee when fired. Anyone who hasn't had a previous exposure to the Dominican Republic should really speak with those who have travelled to and lived in the place, probably moreso than most of the places I've been to. It's a different kind of place. Different rules and different consequences.

..and did anyone figure out if that was $1,500US or $1,500RD? $1,500US would have gotten a nice all inclusive stay on the East Coast for him and ______ (fill in the blank) from back home.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
To the OP:

You seem a little mystified by the treatment you've gotten here so I will explain it to you. But first, I want to answer your question about how to avoid further complications:

I wouldn't worry about it happening again with this girl, she has very likely moved on to an easier target by now.

In the future you should avoid having silly disagreements with people in foreign countries because you are vulnerable as a foreigner, they know the lay of the land and have many years experience getting over on people like you.

Dominicans seem nice and friendly to tourists but if you manage to wound their pride or sense of self worth they will not be able to rest until they have made every effort to get even, and, as a foreigner you are an acceptable target. I think this may hold true with other cultures as well, but this is the one I am most experienced with.

Now as far as the not so warm reception and lack of compassion here:

This is not really an anonymous website for most of us, most of the regular posters here know each other or have at least met a few times.

Also, you appear to be a sex tourist, to most of us who live here full-time sex tourists are a nuisance at best and many of us have much stronger feelings for the breed. (not good feelings)

Finally, regarding the advice you've gotten about any possible redress, forget it. What you don't seem to get is that here, everyone really is out to get you, the hookers, the police, the lawyers and anyone else you meet. As a tourist of any sort you are their bread and butter.

So a chica tried to extort you. Then the police did. Obviously the chica has police connections. In tourist towns, all of them do. The police would never allow them to ply their trade if they weren't part of the program. You want to complain to another police officer? Who is more likely to be friends with the second police officer? You? Or the first police officer?

Regardless of whether they decide to play good cop or bad cop with you the end result is that you pay money. Which is all you were really trying to avoid in the first place. The amount may vary but it wont be much of an improvement and may likely go the other way.

Lets say you contact a lawyer. He will undoubtedly need money. Then he will drag his feet until you leave town and go home and then do nothing at all while continuing to beg more fees of of you.

So really the best strategy for you is to forget about the hookers you've ****ed off and then stop ****ing hookers off.

Reactions: Bronxboy

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Finally, regarding the advice you've gotten about any possible redress, forget it. What you don't seem to get is that here, everyone really is out to get you, the hookers, the police, the lawyers and anyone else you meet. As a tourist of any sort you are their bread and butter.

This should be on a big sign at every airport.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Mr. Guzman, I successfully avoided being arrested and put in jail by a jilted ex-girlfriend. We had a 10 day (Tourist) relationship. We had a silly argument and basically it was over. [B](Exactly two days before I was about to leave)[/B] She then had some form of polica come to my hotel and try to arrest me with a threat of “Pay $1500.00 of go to jail. They were turned away at the hotel. Anyway after some of the local towns people alerted me to stay in my hotel and not be “found” on the street I stayed in the hotel for two days and then flew back to the US. On the day of my departure she appeared at the hotel very apologetic and tearful to say good-bye.

What can I do to avoid any other attempts such as this? I do have her full name as printed on her ID Card.

1. Stop picking up conniving hood rats.
2. Stop flashing cash in front of said hood rats.
3. Stop entertaining hood rats. Werent you surprised that she didnt know how to eat whatever crap you order from whatever hole you went to? And you never stopped to check her language? Does she ALWAYS talk like she was in a rap video?
4. and STOP REFERRING TO THEM BIITCHES AS YOUR GIRLFRIEND! 10 days?
5. Tell her I said whats up the next time you call her, which you will because she rocked your world. You re even Xooming her money as we speak arent you?

Blacknight

Mar 15, 2010
Finally!!!!

I thank everyone for their honest input. Having heard it from an educated group of people that have time on the ground is worth it's weight in gold.

At least now I won't **** my pants if I have a cop try to arrest me. Be calm and show them I am not afraid but I will demonstrate to them that I will not just bend over either. Just let it all play out.

All, you just can't beleive how many times I saw that **** happen in a 14 day span.

Although the sex tourist is what many of you call a "nuisance", in the DR, (and in Asia for that matter), the the reality is that in many places the entire economy of the local area is based soley upon it. This industy does it fact put money in peoples pockets, food on the table & roofs over peoples heads. I would tend to think that the extortion shake down is the real nuisance.

Now lets' get back on point. I do enjoy playing golf, fishing and shopping in any country that I am in. I also make it point to visit the cultural arts venues and learn a little about the history of the country. I cannot help the fact that the minute I open my mouth I sound like "an educated westerner". I cannot front or fake it. I am who I am. But being a grown man I did make a chica selection that went bad. Got it.

What was requested and received "How do Situations like that"... play out. I will not ever come back and accuse anybody for giving me bad advise if it did not go as advised. Just having a group of people listen and then try to help me was tremendous.

Any other golden nuggets of information are also gladly appreciated. I thank all of you.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.......Now lets' get back on point. I do enjoy playing golf, fishing and shopping in any country that I am in. I also make it point to visit the cultural arts venues and learn a little about the history of the country. I cannot help the fact that the minute I open my mouth I sound like "an educated westerner". I cannot front or fake it. I am who I am..................

Come on down and visit Santo Domingo. I think you will enjoy SD. SD also has chicas, but they are a little more "refined". ;)

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Finally!!!!

I thank everyone for their honest input. Having heard it from an educated group of people that have time on the ground is worth it's weight in gold.
Any other golden nuggets of information are also gladly appreciated. I thank all of you.

Just two.

You're not paying for sex. You're paying them to leave, after.

Even if you find a worm after biting into an apple...if you bite it in the store, you're gonna pay for it.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I would tend to think that the extortion shake down is the real nuisance.

It's never been a nuisance to me because it has never happened to me. But I've occasionally been mildly annoyed by a bleating phone call from someone who has been & is now in jail/police station. They seem to choose suppertime or siesta time. Dashed inconsiderate really.......:cheeky:

And if you say 'Finally!!!' and it only took a day to get some answers, do some reading about 'time' in the DR ;).

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Although the sex tourist is what many of you call a "nuisance", in the DR, (and in Asia for that matter), the the reality is that in many places the entire economy of the local area is based soley upon it. This industy does it fact put money in peoples pockets, food on the table & roofs over peoples heads. I would tend to think that the extortion shake down is the real nuisance.

You re right. But some people can seem to master the art of fleecing the golden goose. Literally, its a slow roasting procedure. But some people put the heat on too high and ruin their meal. What do I mean, is that here these people dont really work the cons that well, but it doesnt matter because you re supposed to be so scared that you would do whatever necessary to make the problem go away. They shakedown patrol probably didnt get into the hotel because their uniforms were wrinkled or stained and most Amet, Politur, or PN tend to take pride in their uniform(as though they copied it out of the USMC handbook-which they did). But back to the golden goose, if the babe would have kept her cool I bet she could have run the my mother got hit by an undesireable while riding her pasola to church and she needs a sonogram or something in Santiago. And it costs 5000 pesos and she only has 200. If you would be ever gracious to send it to her she will be so grateful.

I ve only embellished the part about being ever so grateful and gracious.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Finally!!!!

At least now I won't **** my pants if I have a cop try to arrest me. Be calm and show them I am not afraid but I will demonstrate to them that I will not just bend over either. Just let it all play out.

All, you just can't beleive how many times I saw that **** happen in a 14 day span.

Now lets' get back on point. I do enjoy playing golf, fishing and shopping in any country that I am in. I also make it point to visit the cultural arts venues and learn a little about the history of the country. I cannot help the fact that the minute I open my mouth I sound like "an educated westerner". I cannot front or fake it. I am who I am. But being a grown man I did make a chica selection that went bad. Got it.

What was requested and received "How do Situations like that"... play out. I will not ever come back and accuse anybody for giving me bad advise if it did not go as advised. Just having a group of people listen and then try to help me was tremendous.

Great attitude!!!!

You get points for that.