Any Dominicans in Halifax NS?

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
courtness said:
Hi Nelly,
Just wondering if you're still in Halifax? If not where did you get to?
Courtness
I am here in Halifax but my ex-husband is in the DR.

mona

Aug 19, 2005
relocating

Nelly said:
The question was for my husband who just immigrated to Canada from the DR. While he has no objections to making Canadian friends, I think it would be helpful for him to chat with a fellow Dominicano about life here, from a perspective that he can relate with. URock, of the 30 Dominicans, I bet that more than a few of them are students as Dalhousie University's language department has an exchange program with a university in Santiago. I think that we will check with the Newcomer's centre and maybe head out to a few clubs this weekend, like the new El Metro and Latin Night at Merryl's, to see who we can hook up with.
Cheers,
Nelly :)

Hi Nelly my name is Mona. I noticed you said your husband is from the Dominican. I hope you don't mind me asking how you managed to get him here? How long it took? Were you married before he came here? Why did you decide to bring him here...rather than you go to the Dominican? I hope I am not too intrusive but I am also in love with a Dominican man and would like to bring him here(Ontario) until I can relocate there. Thanks Mona

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
mona said:
Hi Nelly my name is Mona. I noticed you said your husband is from the Dominican. I hope you don't mind me asking how you managed to get him here? How long it took? Were you married before he came here? Why did you decide to bring him here...rather than you go to the Dominican? I hope I am not too intrusive but I am also in love with a Dominican man and would like to bring him here(Ontario) until I can relocate there. Thanks Mona

Hi Mona, We married in the DR then a few months later applied for Permanent Residence for him to come to Canada. The process took nine months but there were some delays and glitches on CIC's part. I think it is going a lot faster for straight forward cases these days. I would have moved to the DR in a heartbeat but did not want to move my daughter away from her family so he came here. His kids were to move here as well, but he couldn't handle being separated from them, nor could he handle life in Canada, the language barrier, the isolation, underemployment, the cultural shock, etc., etc., etc.. So back he went (twice) and we are now over. It not as simple as "bringing" him here. Please read the "relocating a dominican" thread especially the posts by Bailarin in order to get a snap shot of a what life might be like for you and he here in Canada.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Hi came across this thread....my husband, Orlando, has been in Halifax, Nova Scotia almost 1 year (Dec 8th is his anniversary date)

He has met people from the DR....he has 4 close Dominicanos that he hangs around with on a regular basis....(2 of which he knew in Puerto Plata prior to moving here...just re-united with them in Halifax... LOL). There are more Cubans and Columbians here in Halifax than Dominicans. However, Orlando has met many people from Latin America, while here in Canada, and it has certainly helped him adjust, and have a bit of "home" here in this frozen land.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Hi came across this thread....my husband, Orlando, has been in Halifax, Nova Scotia almost 1 year (Dec 8th is his anniversary date). He has met people from the DR....he has 4 close Dominicanos that he hangs around with on a regular basis....(2 of which he knew in Puerto Plata prior to moving here...just re-united with them in Halifax... LOL). There are more Cubans and Columbians here in Halifax than Dominicans. However, Orlando has met many people from Latin America, while here in Canada, and it has certainly helped him adjust, and have a bit of "home" here in this frozen land.

Thanks for bringing this thread to the top again. If a DR loving guy (and his lady) from Truro were to be in Halifax for an evening -- where (at what sort of restaurant or bar) might they run into Dominicanos and other like persons?

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
There are two latin clubs in Halifax, both fairly new: Coconut Grove - at Pizza Corner, and Club Caliente - on SpringGarden near My Father's Moustache. Saturday nights draw out the (very small) latin crowd for dancing.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
There are two latin clubs in Halifax, both fairly new: Coconut Grove - at Pizza Corner, and Club Caliente - on SpringGarden near My Father's Moustache. Saturday nights draw out the (very small) latin crowd for dancing.

Thanks. I'll write those in my little black book.

wbr

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hi came across this thread....my husband, Orlando, has been in Halifax, Nova Scotia almost 1 year (Dec 8th is his anniversary date)

He has met people from the DR....he has 4 close Dominicanos that he hangs around with on a regular basis....(2 of which he knew in Puerto Plata prior to moving here...just re-united with them in Halifax... LOL). There are more Cubans and Columbians here in Halifax than Dominicans. However, Orlando has met many people from Latin America, while here in Canada, and it has certainly helped him adjust, and have a bit of "home" here in this frozen land.

My ex met some Dominican guys at Latin Night at Merrill's when he was here but they didn't really click. Had he given it more time, I'm sure that he would have made more friends.

By the way, I'm very happy for you and Orlando!! Congrats!

L

Lorerodri

Hi everyone, I'm looking for Dominicans (male or female) who can tell me opinions about the city of Halifax, I'm planning to move there in the close future.

I'll be waiting for your response

Lorerodri
Dominican Republic