Any rumors of airlines flying from the US to AZS?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
everyone here cites the low prices - JFK/AZS

that's exactly the problem..... low prices are need to fill the plane.
JB can do better elsewhere.

I booked Xmas over T'Giving... about $1700 R/T.... Dec23 to Jan 2 0r 3 ----Prime time
2 weeks before Xmas that flight was 1/2 that price , trying to fill the plane.

I got a refund of $850.... credit to future flights

Apologies to those who heard this before

Just shows to go you how fickle airline prices can be

I ssat don to buy a ticket from POP to F and the pice said $213. Being Spirit I knew that the bags wouId be added to that, but I got side tracked and my time o their page times out whiIe I was in the bathroom. Got back on 20 minutes ater and it had gone up to $305! Damn! PIus bags and I paid $378.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Derf -
come up for some air... nonsense writing - can't understand a word except that you got locked in the bano

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As to the question ---- US flights to AZS,

My source has a brother who is a JetBlue pilot and has flown the AZS route.
If there is any word of that flight returning to the schedule - I will hear early!
My friend flies buddy pass tix.....

I'll be sure to alert you here if/when I hear

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

If there is any word of that flight returning to the schedule - I will hear early!

It's a shame that no US airlines will fly into AZS. I think it is just a matter of time before someone picks up this route again from NYC.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The flip side Steve is that LT could be overrun with visitors - to the detriment of the current tranquility ( compared to some other areas)

There are good and bad arguments...

I still maintain that the hotel bed availability is the key stumbling block.
LT needs more accommodation to accept more flights.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's a shame that no US airlines will fly into AZS. I think it is just a matter of time before someone picks up this route again from NYC.

Supply and demand. If there isn't a steady year round flow of either tourists or Dominicans coming home, then the demand is not there. AZS also probably has very few Dominicans going there since they would save up to 50% by going to SDQ. Without a large number of AI Hotels like Punta Cana, there are far fewer people visiting the north coast from AZS to POP (I agree with WW on the point of hotel rooms) . The POP area is starting to increase and renovate the number of AI Hotels in the hopes of recapturing more business again. If that happens, hopefully flights will become more competitive and more frequent to the north coast because of the new work being done. If the AZS area has nothing new, what is the impetus for increased tourism there? I doubt that option exists for the Samana peninsula and AZS airport. Santo Domingo is likely to remain your best option to visit Samana .

Also keep in mind that most Americans are not "explorers". Americans get one or two weeks of vacation a year and are more content with the AI resort style in Punta Cana. I don't expect enough demand for US flights to AZS for all of the above reasons.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Supply and demand. If there isn't a steady year round flow of either tourists or Dominicans coming home, then the demand is not there. AZS also probably has very few Dominicans going there since they would save up to 50% by going to SDQ. Without a large number of AI Hotels like Punta Cana, there are far fewer people visiting the north coast from AZS to POP (I agree with WW on the point of hotel rooms) . The POP area is starting to increase and renovate the number of AI Hotels in the hopes of recapturing more business again. If that happens, hopefully flights will become more competitive and more frequent to the north coast because of the new work being done. If the AZS area has nothing new, what is the impetus for increased tourism there? I doubt that option exists for the Samana peninsula and AZS airport. Santo Domingo is likely to remain your best option to visit Samana .

Also keep in mind that most Americans are not "explorers". Americans get one or two weeks of vacation a year and are more content with the AI resort style in Punta Cana. I don't expect enough demand for US flights to AZS for all of the above reasons.

All your points are valid however on the former JetBlue flights there seemed to be just as many Dominicans, if not more, than "gringos". There are many Dominicans from NYC that are flying into this area, not just tourists. It would be to the benefit of the DR authorities to pursue at least one airline from the US to fly inot here. Flights from Dec-April is still a possibility by someone.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As I stated earlier (quoting from internal JetBlue memo)

The main problem was the pricing.
They had to drop the price too far to fill the seats....
so they switched the equipment to PUJ where the seats sell for more - oddly enough.

I agree Steve - a seasonal schedule would suit many...
and yes, always many locals on that flight but from SD - I found

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

Hook a sister up !

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Flights from Dec-April is still a possibility by someone.

I don't get it because XL Airways (from Paris) do fly to el Catey during the holidays. Again, if the price is not right (and it never was) given that I have to buy 3 tickets and locked in the highest season because of kids, I may still fly to SDQ.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hook a sister up !

You can bumped on those cheap tix.... sort of 'stand by' flying.

Happened to him 2 days in a row..
was standing there with 5 empties ...
unitl a pilot and family showed up - they outranked him

2 hotel nights negated any savings he thought he had made...

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
is the airport still not up to FAA code ? still haven't fixed that outdated radar system ? they are losing so much tourist money. most foreign airlines have taken our lead and chose not to fly there.