Anyone having trouble with Uber lately?

Administration

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
dr1.com
used to be good.. while it lasted.

Today I made an order using Uber from La Sirena. The total was 5,883 DOP, a little over $100 USD. I checked the stats of the driver and it said he had 0 deliveries, so I guess he’s new. No biggie, everybody has to start at the beginning, right? It took quite a while for him to pick up my order, but I think Uber started doing this in the past 6 months or so (or the drivers do it?) they wait at a place for another order from the same place/restaurant so they can double-dip. If your order is late it’s no big deal to them, they will sit there and wait for the money. With grocery items, being late isn’t the end of the world for me. Nothing perishable, I was cool and not annoyed by it. It becomes a problem when it’s a pizza or hamburger or something and they take 90 minutes to get it to me because they waited for another ‘parallel’ delivery. A pizza I will put in the oven for a few but a hamburger? It’s not something you want to eat after it's been sitting out for 90 minutes. They have like worms and stuff.

So I receive the usual “We’re sorry your order is late” message from Uber, and the updated delivery time was supposed to be 7:40 pm. (it notified me that the driver had “another stop” before me – obviously since he sat there waiting for the other order).

At 7:09 pm, I received a message: “we hope you enjoy your order”. The order was marked delivered in the app. I had been watching the driver progress map thingy and the driver never made it no-where near me anyway. I don;t know where he delivered my stuff, it wasn't like an accidental delivery to my next-door neighbor. Obviously he delivered it to himself or his girlfriend or the other “another stop” person. They have a ‘call driver’ feature in the app, and I war-dialed him without any response. He just didn't answer.

Contacting support has gotten me nowhere, they don’t respond either.

My permanent address is in San Francisco area, and I know people who work for Uber there. AFAIK that’s their headquarters. They say they can’t do anything because it’s basically a different company, like a franchise, and told me that I should just leave a bad review. REALLY? I think these guys maybe need to be kicked out of DR for good because the company seems like it could be a bunch of thugs robbing tourists (and probably locals, too). I feel robbed, anyway. Maybe it's just a fluke.

Last time I used the app to get an Uber from SDQ airport they driver picked me up, went down the ramp and canceled my trip (which charges you like $10 USD, right?). At the bottom of the ramp he said that the Uber fee wasn’t enough and demanded 3x the rate in cash. I don’t request Ubers from the airport anymore.

They probably need to be shown the way out the door in my opinion. Maybe I’ll hear back from them, mañana, hopefully mañana mañana, but I think I’ll probably have to do a charge-back dispute on my credit card, which is a pain. Uber should just do the right thing.

On the other hand, maybe the driver got creamed by a truck or something. That would suck for him, and I’d feel bad. That kind of thing happens. But they could have at least communicated to me about it, instead of pretending as if I received the order and charged me for it. I drove over to Bravo at 9pm to buy the stuff the guy didn’t deliver, because I actually needed the items.

Administration

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
dr1.com
I remember that sort of thing when I took Uber often. Especially downtown, not so much on the outskirts. The driver would cancel claiming the rider wasn't there and get the fee. I'd dispute in the app when that happened.

Support responded at 10am this morning, so took about 14 hours. They offered "uber credit", i passed on that. just refund, please :)

Jan 9, 2004
The last 2 times I used Uber, on 15 February and 24 February, we had relatively no problems. I was charged $1.22 for a cancellation I didn't make but it's not worth fighting over.
Exactly.

Used Uber once and they billed additional because they claim the driver had to wait for me (wait charge), when in fact I waited for him.

Tried to contact Uber and received no response.....................To your point above.............its not wort fighting over....................Voted with my dollars and have not used Uber since.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think deliveries guys get paid once they "pick up" the order in the app (could be different from picking up in person). Doesn't matter if the order is delivered late or cancelled after the "pick up" in the app as far as getting paid is concerned.

Anyway, you should always use an American Express card to charge similar things. They make doing a charge back quite easy and basically are on the side of the customer in any dispute. They also do the charge back while the issue is pending. Granted AE isn't accepted everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lafcadio

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I remember that sort of thing when I took Uber often. Especially downtown, not so much on the outskirts. The driver would cancel claiming the rider wasn't there and get the fee. I'd dispute in the app when that happened.

Support responded at 10am this morning, so took about 14 hours. They offered "uber credit", i passed on that. just refund, please :)
So Uber refunded their charge, but the driver kept your groceries?????😳

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
No. Not lately. Not ever, Unless you consider the driver getting lost once he gets to the condos trouble. We have to chase him down a lot. It's not his fault though. I don't know how many G-202s there are, but there's a few.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
used to be good.. while it lasted.

Today I made an order using Uber from La Sirena. The total was 5,883 DOP, a little over $100 USD. I checked the stats of the driver and it said he had 0 deliveries, so I guess he’s new. No biggie, everybody has to start at the beginning, right? It took quite a while for him to pick up my order, but I think Uber started doing this in the past 6 months or so (or the drivers do it?) they wait at a place for another order from the same place/restaurant so they can double-dip. If your order is late it’s no big deal to them, they will sit there and wait for the money. With grocery items, being late isn’t the end of the world for me. Nothing perishable, I was cool and not annoyed by it. It becomes a problem when it’s a pizza or hamburger or something and they take 90 minutes to get it to me because they waited for another ‘parallel’ delivery. A pizza I will put in the oven for a few but a hamburger? It’s not something you want to eat after it's been sitting out for 90 minutes. They have like worms and stuff.

So I receive the usual “We’re sorry your order is late” message from Uber, and the updated delivery time was supposed to be 7:40 pm. (it notified me that the driver had “another stop” before me – obviously since he sat there waiting for the other order).

At 7:09 pm, I received a message: “we hope you enjoy your order”. The order was marked delivered in the app. I had been watching the driver progress map thingy and the driver never made it no-where near me anyway. I don;t know where he delivered my stuff, it wasn't like an accidental delivery to my next-door neighbor. Obviously he delivered it to himself or his girlfriend or the other “another stop” person. They have a ‘call driver’ feature in the app, and I war-dialed him without any response. He just didn't answer.

Contacting support has gotten me nowhere, they don’t respond either.

My permanent address is in San Francisco area, and I know people who work for Uber there. AFAIK that’s their headquarters. They say they can’t do anything because it’s basically a different company, like a franchise, and told me that I should just leave a bad review. REALLY? I think these guys maybe need to be kicked out of DR for good because the company seems like it could be a bunch of thugs robbing tourists (and probably locals, too). I feel robbed, anyway. Maybe it's just a fluke.

Last time I used the app to get an Uber from SDQ airport they driver picked me up, went down the ramp and canceled my trip (which charges you like $10 USD, right?). At the bottom of the ramp he said that the Uber fee wasn’t enough and demanded 3x the rate in cash. I don’t request Ubers from the airport anymore.

They probably need to be shown the way out the door in my opinion. Maybe I’ll hear back from them, mañana, hopefully mañana mañana, but I think I’ll probably have to do a charge-back dispute on my credit card, which is a pain. Uber should just do the right thing.

On the other hand, maybe the driver got creamed by a truck or something. That would suck for him, and I’d feel bad. That kind of thing happens. But they could have at least communicated to me about it, instead of pretending as if I received the order and charged me for it. I drove over to Bravo at 9pm to buy the stuff the guy didn’t deliver, because I actually needed the items.
Perhaps it better if you do your shopping in person.
I don't use Uber but I have neighbors who do and its
not uncommon at all to hear about their Uber problems.

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
My experience:
once, after paying for the ride, the driver reported that I had NOT paid. Reporting to Uber has been restored.

A ride from SDQ to Las Americas is regularly refused because the drivers think the fare is too low. They then ask for a minimum of RD$ 1,500 and you have to pay for the toll + hefty tip.

Quality of the cars.... it varies greatly. From a nice car to an almost wreck.

For me, Uber is still a better option than an expensive US$80 a day rental car.

Reactions: chicagoan14

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I had occassion to use Uber for a medical visit.

I took the driver's number and texted him directly.... used him for 2 days
Worked out beautifully.
He dropped me- came back to get me- same game next day

Paid him 100 pesos more per trip/day than Uber

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
These POS drivers are playing the system (of course, it's the DR after all). They do that on purpose. Happened various times to family members.

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
I had occassion to use Uber for a medical visit.

I took the driver's number and texted him directly.... used him for 2 days
Worked out beautifully.
He dropped me- came back to get me- same game next day

Paid him 100 pesos more per trip/day than Uber
I've tried that a few times too, with no success.
Had my way to Las Americas. After 2 months I would come back, via an overnight flight. Driver did not show up (offered 2x the uber fee) :sleep:
The 2nd time, beach day to Boca Chica :cool: .... guy asked 2000 for go and 2000 again to pick me up ... then you really did not understand. I simply pay the fare and always round up the amount. :LOL:

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I ordered some pizzas once and it said they had been delivered. They hadn't, so I called the Pizza place I ordered them from, they investigated and said the driver had got caught in traffic and ate one of them. But don't worry, mi amor, we're going to send some more.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
When I order food from a restaurant, I use the pedidosya app. It gets delivered by a guy on a motorcycle, and I pay for it when he arrives. No food, no payment.

Reactions: chico bill

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
JD, is it cash or credit card or either? I have the app but have never used it.
Both are accepted. I use cash because I prefer to pay when the food arrives. CC would mean getting charged immediately.

Take a look at the app and see how many restaurants show up.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

RollingStone

Nov 9, 2019
I recently (mid February) had an issue flying into las Americas with a friend. I booked the Uber and the driver asked where we were going. He then requested four times the amount of the Uber fee. I told him to cancel the ride. Friend did the same. Same result. I tried again...rinse and repeat. He tried again...same same. We ended up taking a taxi.

I reported the incidents to Uber with the drivers info. No telling if Uber does anything.

We had other friends arrive later in the week and they had the same issue.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
We have taken Ubers from PUJ to SPM in the past with no trouble. Also around SD.
This trip, we had arranged an Uber to pick us up. It was a gold Kia, not overly common. The guy pulled up, but didn’t have room for our suitcases due to his propane tank in the trunk. He even “answered” to the right name. Ha.
We ended up going with a regular Punta Cana taxi, but got charged because the guy with the gold Kia wasn’t the right gold Kia. The correct Uber was parked up ahead.

Not worth the hassle.