Anyone in the Ice Cream Business?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Mr AE's brother and wife owned a Bon franchise in SD for years, with employees running it. *After they were robbed a couple of times, they sold the franchise and equipment a couple of years ago. *

thanks for clearing that up. i know a guy who wanted to get a BON store, and he tells me that he was told that they are all family owned, like a La Sirena or Plaza Lama.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
thanks for clearing that up. i know a guy who wanted to get a BON store, and he tells me that he was told that they are all family owned, like a La Sirena or Plaza Lama.

Nope, but they are controlled. *OT one point BIL wanted to relocate their business, but were not permitted to do so. *

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

Nope, but they are controlled. *OT one point BIL wanted to relocate their business, but were not permitted to do so. *

they are an interesting outfit. the ice cream you buy at the BON outlet is more expensive than the same product in the supermarket.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Every time I walked by the one right next door to the busy Metro Bus/Caribe Tours in Santiago it was empty. Few locals here can afford the product.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I have a different opinion. At helados bon there's always a line. Besides Dominicans are very fond of ice cream and the low end of the middle class easily pays 100 pesos for dos bolas.*

Higher end of middle class wouldn't want to to be seen at Bon though. They go to Baskin Robbins. (Even though that's slightly changing, but if I'd bring ice cream to my inlaws and come with helados bon they will look weird.

Low class ofcourse doesn't buy either, just like they don't buy mcdonalds or not even pollos victorina.

May 29, 2006
Soft serve has a much higher markup than hard ice cream. You can buy a non dairy powder mix and just add water. But the machines are expensive and you only get one or two flavors per machine. They need to be cleaned everyday and there are numerous small parts. Self serve frozen yogurt is booming in the US (at $8+/pound retail!) but it would be crazy to try that here, especially using 6-10 $10,000 machines.

I miss the twist!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Soft serve has a much higher markup than hard ice cream. You can buy a non dairy powder mix and just add water. But the machines are expensive and you only get one or two flavors per machine. They need to be cleaned everyday and there are numerous small parts. Self serve frozen yogurt is booming in the US (at $8+/pound retail!) but it would be crazy to try that here, especially using 6-10 $10,000 machines.

I miss the twist!
I made a ton of $$$ with two flavors of softserve in my bar. We got a whole new late-night crowd from midnight to 2am because of it. We did a mini-burger, home chips and ice cream late-night munchie that sold like crazy, all high-margin snacks.

Yes, cleaning is a chore, but daily cleaning of the kitchen was, too. I trained my night cleaning crew to clean the Taylor machine.

(I learned how to clean a soft serve machine in my first job at 14 y.o. at Arby's.)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
One ice cream concept that ~could~ be profitable would be the flash frozen dots in a busy mall in Santo Domingo at theater level.

May 29, 2006
It's the small parts I'd worry about. The last place I saw the machines used was at Cornell food service. They had a tray for the parts and a photo of where each part sat on the tray to dry. You can make your own ice cream base with online recipes.

Those powder mixes are real money makers. They should put the machines in the All Inclusives. They had hard ice cream where we went and it was slow going waiting for the line to scoop it.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Those powder mixes are real money makers. They should put the machines in the All Inclusives. They had hard ice cream where we went and it was slow going waiting for the line to scoop it.
We go to all-inclusives frequently on tours. Many have soft serve (we called it custard back in The Day.) But you're correct: many have hard ice cream. Most likely easier. All you need are two freezers, one you use for for the kitchen, and one for the ice cream on the buffet floor. Convenience.

I do get skeezed at the nasty water for the scoopers.

May 29, 2006
My shop was fifty feet from a theater. We did half our business in two hours on Friday and Saturday with lines out the door and three of us working. Fun pop up store. I miss it. I wonder if I can source a used two flavor Taylor machine here for under $5K...I know how to make my own base... :)

May 29, 2006
They had an ice cream spade at our last resort and the whole thing would be under an inch of water. So you've got a hundred ppl per meal putting their hand into the gross water to fish it out. But everybody washed their hands first, right? It would have been an easy fix.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
They had an ice cream spade at our last resort and the whole thing would be under an inch of water. So you've got a hundred ppl per meal putting their hand into the gross water to fish it out. But everybody washed their hands first, right? It would have been an easy fix.
Nothing is "easy" in the DR...

May 29, 2006
Which is why wanting to open an independent scoop shop just may not be a good idea... They can't figure out ice cream even in multi million dollar resorts. I wouldn't have much hope for a 20 year old at a counter making less than $RD 8000/month. An unskilled employee doing a 1000+ scoops a week can end up costing a lot of money. As I mentioned, it's a very hands on business.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Which is why wanting to open an independent scoop shop just may not be a good idea... They can't figure out ice cream even in multi million dollar resorts. I wouldn't have much hope for a 20 year old at a counter making less than $RD 8000/month. An unskilled employee doing a 1000+ scoops a week can end up costing a lot of money. As I mentioned, it's a very hands on business.

I met someone last time I was there who was doing a shaved ice deal right on Conde. 1 problem though he for some reason could not be right on the sidewalk but rather needed to be set back. He was from the states. I thought that was kind of odd as you cannot really see his concession unless you look inside when you get there.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
the shaved ices are so good. frio frio piraqua! lots of good flavors, like dulce de leche, tamarindo, limon... but i see it more like street food.

Those ice creams with the dots, i just don't get it, over priced frozen yogurt , its really not healthier, but people buy into it.

the big deal with hard packed ice cream is keeping things cold, must use dry ice to keep inventory fresh. I worked Carvels for a few years, and can tell you, soft serve is a big seller! SoftServe is offered in so many flavors now, its incredible. Soft Serve is so simple and good. Those all inclusive should consider permanently parking a truck on property, a classic touch.

I used to get that dude walking the road, selling home made ice cream, pushing that cart around the capo. Those treats we so milky and sweet! biscocho , fresa, vanilla (spanish kind), even a orange cream. This product was like a cross of ice cream and gelato!