Anyone know of any bars for sale?

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Oh my god you people on here are rediculous! Can ANYONE say ANYTHING positive!? You don't know us, you don't know what we're capable of, you don't know our income....etc! So quit ASSUMING that things are going to go to the **** hole quick because they did for you. Opinions are one thing, but because you failed at being a bar owner assuming that everyone is going to fail also is unbelievable.

Thanks for all your negativatey. It got you no where. :rolleyes:

WOW, that was a bit of a delayed response.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Oh my god you people on here are rediculous! Can ANYONE say ANYTHING positive!? You don't know us, you don't know what we're capable of, you don't know our income....etc! So quit ASSUMING that things are going to go to the **** hole quick because they did for you. Opinions are one thing, but because you failed at being a bar owner assuming that everyone is going to fail also is unbelievable.

Hmmm, I hope you're not saying what I posted is rediculous. Informing you that bar sales are down, is helpful. Informing you that tourist trends are changing - perhaps pushing tourists towards AI, and not off the AI, is helpful. These are things you need to take into consideration when opening a bar. You are right, we know nothing about you, we know not what you are capable of, but I can tell you I know a thing or two about the business, and odds aren't in a new bar owners favour for success. This is not just a DR thing, but bars in general, and opening up in the DR has a certain bunch of implications to take into consideration. That might not mean you are destined for failure, it is just some food for thought. Being a hot shot, I figure you would have done your market research by now, and figured out if indeed there is a market to cater - signs point to not likely - at least for the time being. It is not negativity, it is reality, food for thought if you will - you need to read between the lines a bit. I am not talking out of my A$$ I was recently, and successfully managing a bar which had annual sales of close to U$500 000, my GF managed the top bar in the country, which has sales of about U$2M, both in Santo Domingo.

Now, asides from a venue, which you have already received a few tips on how to go about that what other aspects have you looked into, or might need info on?

Legal / Permits / Bribes
Accounting / Labour laws
Sound & Lighting
Electrician / Generator
Refrigeration / AC
Liquor Distributors / Sponsors
Food Distributors
Media Relations / Radio / Guides / Print shops
Entertainment - DJs / Bands
Staffing, etc.
POS Software distributor / tech support
Security measures

I realize you may have experience in the industry, but by the looks of things, you are not in the country atm, otherwise you wouldn't be asking about venues for sale, but rather, you'd be on the ground looking. The fact that members who live here are cautioning you with respect to your endeavor, doesn't mean you should not go ahead and do it, but be cautious, do not go into a venture like this, especially in the DR without having all your ducks in line. It doesn't matter what income you have - a bar can make it all disappear very quickly. Best of luck. And try not to be so defensive, there are a few here who can help you out.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008

yea but we know where not listening to knowledgable people is going to get you, BANKRUPT AND BROKE...No one is saying that it cant be done, but we are people who live and spend a lot of time in the DR. this is not a good time to invest in a bar in the dr..everything is down here...sure you can get lucky and succeed with a lot of hard work, but the odds are stacked against you.

lins150

May 13, 2009
Hmmm, I hope you're not saying what I posted is rediculous. Informing you that bar sales are down, is helpful. Informing you that tourist trends are changing - perhaps pushing tourists towards AI, and not off the AI, is helpful. These are things you need to take into consideration when opening a bar. You are right, we know nothing about you, we know not what you are capable of, but I can tell you I know a thing or two about the business, and odds aren't in a new bar owners favour for success. This is not just a DR thing, but bars in general, and opening up in the DR has a certain bunch of implications to take into consideration. That might not mean you are destined for failure, it is just some food for thought. Being a hot shot, I figure you would have done your market research by now, and figured out if indeed there is a market to cater - signs point to not likely - at least for the time being. It is not negativity, it is reality, food for thought if you will - you need to read between the lines a bit. I am not talking out of my A$$ I was recently, and successfully managing a bar which had annual sales of close to U$500 000, my GF managed the top bar in the country, which has sales of about U$2M, both in Santo Domingo.

Now, asides from a venue, which you have already received a few tips on how to go about that what other aspects have you looked into, or might need info on?

Legal / Permits / Bribes
Accounting / Labour laws
Sound & Lighting
Electrician / Generator
Refrigeration / AC
Liquor Distributors / Sponsors
Food Distributors
Media Relations / Radio / Guides / Print shops
Entertainment - DJs / Bands
Staffing, etc.
POS Software distributor / tech support
Security measures

I realize you may have experience in the industry, but by the looks of things, you are not in the country atm, otherwise you wouldn't be asking about venues for sale, but rather, you'd be on the ground looking. The fact that members who live here are cautioning you with respect to your endeavor, doesn't mean you should not go ahead and do it, but be cautious, do not go into a venture like this, especially in the DR without having all your ducks in line. It doesn't matter what income you have - a bar can make it all disappear very quickly. Best of luck. And try not to be so defensive, there are a few here who can help you out.

I stand corrected...as you said, few people were helpful.

Eli88

Jul 20, 2009
Well, it seems that everybody wants to invest inbetween Cabarete and Sosua where competition is so high. I live in the Costa Verde (Gaspar Hernandez to Nagua), in Rio San Juan and Cabrera turism is increasing. Thanks to the new "highway" from Samana to Santo Domingo,we are now very close from the capital than before and it brings us more turism and more inhabitants.
There is a bar for sale in Rio San Juan, just in front of a turist spot of the town, so it's quite popular. It was just in case you would like to know about nice other places in the country... If you want further information, you can have a look at actimcabrera dotcom or contact me.
Bye

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
Just have to comment this -

OP seems to be angry, because of the negative answers.

Of course would everybody happy for positive answers, but shall people with a lot of experience and living time in DR Lie to you. ?

You say you are going to do it anyway, so why care about negative answers. It is your life and your decision .

But my advice is to think twice about this.

If you ask people, what kind of business they would start , will many say a bar, restaurant or nightclub.
Who didn't want to mix work and pleasure, like be a important and popular club owner.
The truth is , there is also a lot of paper work, lonely hours in a office.
And many working hours every day.

The owner of one of the most popular restaurant on the beach in Sosua, work around 12 to 15 hours a day, 6 times in a week. Up early in the morning to buy food. And for two years ago,burn this place down, only good friends help him to come back again.

And in rain periods, can the beach have very few costumers , I know one girl that work in the beach, had try to prostitute herself to get money to survive.

There is nothing as Faithful costumers, they can very fast change their favourite place , so for been the most popular place to no costumers can happen fast .

Let say it comes a new restaurant close to Rocky, same prices and quality and they offer the expat and regular costumers 20% of normal prices, maybe then will Rocky loose costumers .
Or Bermuda bar, loose German tourist or they find out their beer is 40 peso cheaper at The neighbour Flow bar.

There are many places in Sosua, that was very popular before and now has very few costumbers.
And some just start a bar/nightclub without be to smart, like the new nightclub close to the four roses and hotel Europa, was very few costumers there after opening.

And there is a lot of bars/nightclub is Sosua, that change owner after a few years

I would personally start a place where it would be locals too, like in Santo Domingo or a big city.
Real estate is going down and 10 % lesser tourist last year,

And what about Cuba, a lot of invest there from foreign hotels, for it is only a few years before the blockade will be over and Americans can visit legal.

And who will invest you or your boyfriend, who has the money to invest or who will loose money if it become a failure ??

I had a Cuban friend before,that all the time wanted me to invest in project or open store /bar, And he believe his ideas was so very good. I didst agree and it was my money and I that would have lost them. It is so easy for other without money to have good suggestions and plans, special when they have nothing to loose , only to gain since it is not their money or future on risk.

But anyway, just do it, follow your dreams, but accept it can be a lot of boring and hard work and maybe not so profit as you hope, and even a failure, but then without money will you at least have the love for each other. Except that hard work and bad economy often destroy relationships.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
There are plenty for sale....Dont let anyone fool you...
I want a new ownership in a few of them. I'm positive a new owner could do positive things, bring new ideas, have new costumes etc...

Here's the funny story!

Several people come here each year and want to start a business.

Without any market re-search they jump at a business that continuously fails.

A Marketers goal is to create a need or fufill a need.

Do Your Home Work Folks, Or just Hire An Efficiency and Marketing Guru Like My Self With Strong Ties To The Real Estate Community Here In The DR !

Live Long & Prosper !

P Chop / Spock

Last edited:

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
Interesting thread. Wierd how restaurants/bars work differently than from houses. If you buy a slow business, where your business is targeting customers, who right now are trying NOT to spend money (which is almost everyone currently, your business plan will likely not be successful. A change in ownership in an under subscribed market won't be such a good idea, vs. buying a cheap condo that has lost half its value since 2005 is obviously.

Idea- maybe find a CLOSED bar and start from scratch? That way, you have the infrasturcture of the bar, and can get it at a very low price. An existing business is probably a bad idea. With the closed bar, all you have to do it slap a fresh coat of paint, find some hotties to bartend, and get some good happy hours going.

I haven't owned a bar, but have been a customer in many! Good luck

SLEAZIE

Feb 27, 2008
I ran a bar in sosua for many years and did very well. Sosua is for some and not for others. I found the corruption helpful in doing business. It made things easier.Just pay and no problems. Much easier that doing it the "right" way. I have the bar "for sale" only because I don't live there anymore. I will probably regret selling it because there is no place like sosua.