Apartment Required - Santo Domingo

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
He rents it, nicely furnished, to a "Foreigner" for 600 US a month!
Anyone who pays what the Dominicans want is stupid!
Keep looking,and "NEGOCIATE" from your strength: You are a foreigner,who will not destroy the apt. and everything in it.And, You will actually pay the rent each moth! THAT is worth a lot!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Couldn't have said it better! We are going to show people how you do that and what the real value is of apartments in SD. Give us a few weeks, we are working on it :)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Couldn't have said it better! We are going to show people how you do that and what the real value is of apartments in SD. Give us a few weeks, we are working on it :)

Will that also include how to rent without a fiador or cedula?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
When I have something to show you, I'll announce it here.

We will show you how to leverage being a gringo, to get better pricing
than the locals and lots of tips and tricks and how to rent the right way.

We are going through the process right now, so far it's been interesting :)

Note: This will be a pay-per-view product, as the information can literally save you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Is this up and running yet?

When I have something to show you, I'll announce it here.

We will show you how to leverage being a gringo, to get better pricing
than the locals and lots of tips and tricks and how to rent the right way.

We are going through the process right now, so far it's been interesting :)
hanks.

Note: This will be a pay-per-view product, as the information can literally save you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.
Is this project still in the works? Almost ready? timeframe?
thanks.

AltosTrader

Feb 25, 2008
When is it going to happen ? Apartment Wanted.

Hello All :
I am arriving S D about April 30. I am single so all I want is a 1 brm or studio in a quiet and secure area but with 24 hour electricity, aircon. and good internet. Since I have never been to SD I have no idea of suburb names. I work online for most of the morning then am free. I had gained the impression last year from various areas here in DR1 that I should get accomodation for 250 - 300 US$ / month no problem. If this is not accurate for SD, I am happy to live in any other DR location that provides the above.

It would be nice to have access to either the sea or even better a largish freshwater lake or flat river as I will paddle a kayak. I am experienced in flat water marathon, sea kayaking and white water but have been out of all for a few years. DR in one way or another will provide me such pastime. Is there much in the way of sharks around the coast ? We have had a spate of attacks here this year. I don't want to argue with those guys.

I will be applying for citizenship immediately I am satisfied I can live there, so rental is longer term. Probably 2 years. Then I may buy. I have very nice property of my own in Australia so guarantee full care and no damage and can pay, say quarterly, in advance.

Two other issues I would appreciate advice on. Can I easily find a nice lady who can provide an evening meal for vegan/vegetarian.

What is with the dengue fever I see someone complaining about ? I assume there are some western trained medics who can give me the right shots for the locale. Are there any real health issues in DR ? I am primarily a Kiwi / Aussie but have lived in China and Thailand without any issues. My present wife is Chinese, albeit now Australian.
Appreciate all helpfull comments.
Altos.

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
As a foreigner and frequent visitor to Santo Domingo, I was lucky enough to rent an apartment in the Zona Oriental area of the city. I have a good local contact and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to rent the apartment. I am named as the renter on the rental contract. I pay the locals rate, the equivalent of $360.00 a month for an unfurnished three bedroom apartment.

I have a great landlord who owns a taxi company with offices in the same building as the apartment. He is turning out to be a great local contact as well.

I have found that one of the best ways to get things done in the DR is to have good local contacts that you can trust. As a visitor, it took some time to get to know and trust a few good contacts, but it is definitely worthwhile. It certainly opens doors.

The area that I rent in is non-touristy. Most of my friends and neighbors speak only spanish, so my spanish is improving immensely. The area has a few good bars, good supermarkets and lots of local color. There is a lot of new construction of houses and apartments going on in the area as well.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
one thing at a time--

Hello All :
I am arriving S D about April 30. I am single so all I want is a 1 brm or studio in a quiet and secure area but with 24 hour electricity, aircon. and good internet. Since I have never been to SD I have no idea of suburb names. I work online for most of the morning then am free. I had gained the impression last year from various areas here in DR1 that I should get accomodation for 250 - 300 US$ / month no problem. If this is not accurate for SD, I am happy to live in any other DR location that provides the above.

It would be nice to have access to either the sea or even better a largish freshwater lake or flat river as I will paddle a kayak. I am experienced in flat water marathon, sea kayaking and white water but have been out of all for a few years. DR in one way or another will provide me such pastime. Is there much in the way of sharks around the coast ? We have had a spate of attacks here this year. I don't want to argue with those guys.

I will be applying for citizenship immediately I am satisfied I can live there, so rental is longer term. Probably 2 years. Then I may buy. I have very nice property of my own in Australia so guarantee full care and no damage and can pay, say quarterly, in advance.

Two other issues I would appreciate advice on. Can I easily find a nice lady who can provide an evening meal for vegan/vegetarian.

What is with the dengue fever I see someone complaining about ? I assume there are some western trained medics who can give me the right shots for the locale. Are there any real health issues in DR ? I am primarily a Kiwi / Aussie but have lived in China and Thailand without any issues. My present wife is Chinese, albeit now Australian.
Appreciate all helpfull comments.
Altos.

Hi Altos and welcome to DR1!

Glad you have decided on the DR and are so confident of loving it here. Alas we don't really have any big freshwater lakes and lots of the rivers are dammed. Some of the mountain rivers are good for mild whitewater. You might also like Samana Bay which has the added attraction of having the whales there once a year. Or you might want Puerto Plata - or Punta Cana- or more adventurously- Monte Christi....No one is going to be able to judge for you.

I am going to skip right over the issue of the Chinese Australian wife whom you are evidently leaving behind.

There are sharks here but lots of the coast line is reef protected.

Your actual best bet will be to get a room in an aparthotel, rent a car and drive around the country for a month - that way you will be able to see which area you would like - since you can get internet - although NOT 24 hr electricity - in most places. If you are really keen on nature, then perhaps the Capital is not the place for you. Traffic is heavy and it will take you an hour to get your boat in the water.

Dengue fever - or more potently hemmoragic dengue fever - does not have a vaccine. It is mosquito transmitted. Treatment here is good if you get diagnosed quickly.

It looks like a little place compared to the Big Oz, but there are really quite huge variations in towns....

that would be my best advice

welcome again!