Apparent new requirement for tempoary renewals

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Any Haitian that enters on a valid tourist visa is able to pay the overstay fee when they leave. The fact is, they didn't enter on a tourist visa, they entered illegally, and they have no intention of ever leaving.

In fact, if they didn't enter on a tourist visa and they decide to leave, the DR will be more than happy to waive the overstay fee and let them leave for free.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Has anyone even tried entering the US as a visitor and being forced to wait in line for hours and hours and then subjected to the most stupid questions that anyone can think of? Dominican immigration is a walk in the park compared to the US. And there are so many scumbags who they have let in, I am delighted that they are making it a little harder and getting a bit more organised.

I disagree, and you are comparing a US residency visa to a Dominican residency visa, not a visitor/tourist visa, right?

While the US residency visa is harder to get and the interview is longer and more complicated, when approved you are good for 10 years!. None of these idiotic annual renewals and permanent residency visas that are really just also temporary visas.

You need to spend 10 years here as a resident going through 5 temporary renewals, several "permanent" renewals as well as medical exams before you get a 10 year residency visa like you are issued in the US right off the bat.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
You can only drive on a foreign driving licence for 3 months, that's the law. If you have been here for more than 3 months and you're driving, your insurance won't be valid. If you got lucky in one accident because they didn't notice, I don't think you should be advising other people to do this as there could be really serious consequences if they seriously injured someone and were driving with no insurance.

I am not giving advise to anyone, simply stating my experience living here 11 years.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
He says ' visitor' in his post

I have been scrutinized...

Tried crossing to the US....
Declared the goods in my car as on their way to be shipped to the the DR.
Had my plane ticket to POP....

Refused entry.... the war dressed Border Agent didn't believe me.
Suspected I was sneaking across the border to the promised land.

I said...
Look up my turned in Green Card, my 3 five terms of E-2 visas.... I left the USA voluntarily and have no desire to return.

Him ...
Keep talking like that and I'll confiscate your NEXUS card.

Combat boots, bulletproof vest... at the Buffalo bridge 

What an attitude....
But they are the wrong guys to cross...
When they interpret the situation, they have no superior.
It's their call.... solely 

To challenge, you need to go to Federal Court.
My immigration lawyer told me that.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
How fair is it that Haitians are deported, yet people from other countries as illegal aliens can still pay an exit fee?

The D.R. is a sovereign nation and can make their rules as they like. Most ex pats spend $$, support themselves and here (some more than others) while Haitians come here looking for work (they are tremendously hard workers) in some cases driving down wages for Dominicans (many lazy workers).
Windeguy, I don't mean to offend you but you sound like a snowflake looking for life to be fair, it isn't in many cases but the strong rise to the top and overcome.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Which enforcement William?

If you mean entering and exciting without a problem I left and paid my overstay a week and a half ago and the agent couldn't have been nicer and said nothing about getting residency.
Regarding the claim paid by Univeral Ins. it was either the end of last administration or beginning of Danilo I don't remember.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Recently, they have become more diligent... more aware.
The exit fee is one part...no change there - but overstaying carries other risks...
as mentioned to you earlier by Windy.

Not quite the cakewalk it once was.

They want compliance for chronic visitors....it seems

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
What about the op's original post now you need a copy of fbi report every time you renew your residence?
You are already a resident. Bit late for that i would think.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Forget tbis question i can see from other thread it is still a mess and no one is having the same siuthion

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
You can only drive on a foreign driving licence for 3 months, that's the law. If you have been here for more than 3 months and you're driving, your insurance won't be valid. If you got lucky in one accident because they didn't notice, I don't think you should be advising other people to do this as there could be really serious consequences if they seriously injured someone and were driving with no insurance.

I am guessing that you need valid cedula or residency or both for license?

What else if anything is required and does it have to be done only in Santo Domingo?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just residency needed... cedula and residency go hand in hand

Almost anywhere can do the driving license....Residency is SD for certain

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
UPDATE... The consulate in Miami had a copy of my FBI report..
THAT WASNT GOOD ENOUGH...
They rejected it again and said I needed an updated report

UN*&^*&^ Believable