Approved as sponsor for a visa to Canada. What's next?

Ellie2008

Aug 8, 2008
Hi Everyone

I have just been approved as a sponsor to have my husband come to Canada. I have read through many of the posting and realize this is nothing more than a waiting game at this point.

I was hoping someone could explain to me what the next few steps will be so I do not get over zealous when paperwork starts rolling in.

Do I just wait for something from Haiti? My approval letter does not have a "B" number on it that I read about, will that come later?

To expect my husband to be here by xmas is that reasonable?

Thanks to everyone, this is a great forum to gather information, I have learned quite a bit so far, and I am sure I will learn much more as time goes on

Johana

May 24, 2006
Hi Ellie,

Your husband's file will be assigned the Bfile number once it reaches Haiti and they start processing. I wouldn't expect to receive an acknowledgement from them - seems no one does. If they write to your husband requesting any additional documentation they will reference the Bfile number - and then you will have it.

If you are checking the CIC - CAS website you should see your husband's status change to In Process in about 4-6 weeks. However, they may not ever change it. I checked again this week - it still remains not available for me when I use my client id number.

Lately, it seems that Haiti has been requesting an original marriage certificate so do not be alarmed if you get this request.

Other than that as you said it's a waiting game. I was approved in December and we just found out at the end of July that my husband will receive his visa - but it is still a waiting game. He dropped his passport off a week and a half ago and who knows when he will get it back. They will call is all they tell you.

The quickest I have read recently is Lexi - I believe they were married in Feb and her husband was asked to drop his passport off this month.

You will find a lot of information and support in this forum.

Best of luck and I hope your husband is with you soon :)

Reactions: AnnaC

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Hi Ellie,

Here's my timeline so far:

January 2nd - married
March 3rd - Mississaugua started processing our papers
March 25th - Approved to sponsor
April 24th - Status on CAS changed to "In Process"
August 4th - Haiti e-mailed my husband for him to bring our Original Marriage Certificate and his Original Brith Certificate AND his Passport immediately to Santo Domingo - Canadaian Embassy
August 8th - My husband dropped everything off (I had to courier the papers to him as I had them in Canada).

That is as far as we have gotten.

Where in Canada are you?

Ellie2008

Aug 8, 2008
thank you both for the information. I am glad both of you will have your loved one with you soon.

I have kept copies of everything I sent so I will be prepared to send when requested.

I am located in Hamilton....about a hour outside of Toronto. Where is everyone else located?

Johana

May 24, 2006
Ellie,

I am in Missauga so not too far from you :) What part of DR is your husband from?? Mine is from Puerto Plata.

Ellie2008

Aug 8, 2008
He is from Santo Domingo.....we are close, maybe down the road we can all do a meet and greet. (hopefully sooner that later, but I am not holding my breath on this one:cheeky:)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
He is from Santo Domingo.....we are close, maybe down the road we can all do a meet and greet. (hopefully sooner that later, but I am not holding my breath on this one:cheeky:)

We had a little meet and greet in Toronto in May and I sent out invitations to all those that and post here on the visa forum but I didn't even get a reply to my PM ;( .

It was just a small gathering of 9 people that have gathered before,so maybe next time we can do better.

Ok now let's stick to the topic of visas in this forum please. If you wish to have a get together we can post it elsewhere on the board. ;)

We try to keep this section only for visa related subjects. ;)

Thanks

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Welcome Ellie!

I was just approved as well (Aug 7)...

Now we wait & hope for a smooth ride!

Sangria

Ellie2008

Aug 8, 2008
Sangria, I was approved August 5th...so it looks like we will be able to compare notes as far as timelines.

Did you send certified true copies of everything or originals? I am reading that people are being asked for one or the other.

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
i hope my wife gets a call soon.... I was approved february 11th and haiti contacted her to send additional documents which she did and sent all those back to haiti (canadian embassy in port au price) and they got the documents in may 15th and they havent said anything yet..... not even a word and the website still says "in process"

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
nope.... she hasnt heard anything from the embassy after sending the extra documents to port au prince. and they got the documents may 15th... so yes in 2 days it will be 3 months since she sent them,,, that is why i hope she hears something soon from them...

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Sangria, I was approved August 5th...so it looks like we will be able to compare notes as far as timelines.

Did you send certified true copies of everything or originals? I am reading that people are being asked for one or the other.

I don't know if I did the right thing or not but I sent exactly what they asked for.

I am sure they will request the originals but better to wait for them to ask I think.

Everyone else that was asked for originals to be sent did so & it doesn't seemed to have slowed down the process at all.

Hoping for the best!
sangria

Johana

May 24, 2006
Ellie,

I sent a copy of our marriage certificate and an original birth certificate for my husband.
My husband received a request for an original marriage certificate and a copy of his birth certificate. So it appears it wouldn't matter which you sent they could request the opposite.

I think Anna may have been right when she suggested it was Immigrations attempt at proving the documents are not fraudulent...i.e. can you reproduce whatever documents you sent in with your application.

Sangria,
congrats on your approval!!

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
That looks like it is happening to everyone. It must be too prove you can match the documents up later.

Ellie2008

Aug 8, 2008
I was just reading the CIC website reviewing timelines for different Visa offices around the world. Why is the Port-au-Prince office timeline so much longer than most others? I can see it taking a few months longer than others....but it looks as though it is a great deal longer than other offices. Is there a reason for this?

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
thanks johana!

ellie...i don't know if this answer is correct but port au prince handles applications from a number of carribbean countries whereas other offices in the world only do 1...i often wondered if this is why they are so much slower?

besides that...it seems as though they aren't the most organized compared to others

people are dealing with weird requests ex...asking for copies, originals, redo medical etc.

hopefully lexi is right and they have sent people there to speed things up & get on the right track.

it really doesn't make sense .... we just have to go with the flow ;)