Architect Fee?

C

Chip00

Const. Admin.

Robert

I'm a civil engineer, not licensed here though, but I would have to say the guy's fee sounds a little high. How much percentage did he charge for the creation of the plans and permitting? He is probably raking in over 30%.

The architects I've been working with in the states for the last 14 years earn between 2 to 6 % of the const. cost - including const. admin.

Also, if your building is having any structural mods. you might want to have an Engineer review the plans at a min. and inspect that structural part if need be.

FYI a "maestro" with good references can do a job equal to that as an engineer in my experience. However, if you can't find one the safe bet would be to use the Architect you have - I would just offer him less than what he is asking. Conversly, you could shop the CA to other Arch.'s as well.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
No structural changes, so no need for an engineer.

Design, development and plans are separate, we are looking at RD$45,000.

As we know, what they do in the USA is often not relevant here for many reasons. I'm looking for examples of people that have worked with DR based architects.

I guess I'm going to start negotiating :)

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
start negotiating !

No structural changes, so no need for an engineer.

Design, development and plans are separate, we are looking at RD$45,000.

As we know, what they do in the USA is often not relevant here for many reasons. I'm looking for examples of people that have worked with DR based architects.

I guess I'm going to start negotiating :)

Well Robert . That was good to clarify this a bit more. Well if the construction cost is not realy high it will be OK . Try to negotiate anyway. If this guy is an expert ... go for it. From your first post it was not clear to me what kind of $$$ we are talking about. Let's say Project construction cost is RD$25,000,000.00 - 20% architect supervision fee will be RD$5,000,000.00 ... and that looks NOT NORMAL at all. But if you are paying RD$40,000 - RD$60,000 to an expert for a good job done... Good luck !