Are DR Government doing anything to help PR?

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yesterday there was good news in that the Jones Act of the USA had been suspended in the case of Puerto Rico. The act said that only US ships with US crews could deliver to Puerto Rico, so that all help from the DR had to go first to the USA. Now aid can go direct to Puerto Rico which means we can send water and food to our neighbour and just hope the distribution process improves .

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Willing to help.

As some of you have noted and expressed concern for our PR neighbors some very heart felt reactions.

Some bring up the commercial aspect that they are "human". My heart sinks at such "crap".

We in the D.R. are very lucky. TWICE! My wife and I have tried to help our friends in the PR via the Red Cross, Fema, CNN, Fox, our Reps from any where and NOT ONE RESPONSE AT ALL!

We have a 3 b/3b fully functional with all our own keep it going infrastructure and less then 10 mins. to a well equipped clinic. We are willing and invite a family unit of 12... or more to use it. We will adjust as needed. My wife and I will send a plane loaded with canned fruit to unload and bring people back to POP and get them back into ... we care mode.

But No One responds. Not one.

We are soo depressed that we can help and ask nothing but to help but...................... can not contact or get a response from anyone.

Anyone know of private planes from POP to San Juan?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My understanding is that AirBnB is available in the RD. Am I mistaken?

Yes, I was one of the first to sign up with them. Years ago now. As for any free rooms, I have no idea. Normally Airbnb sends me notices on their suggestions. I have seen nothing on that point.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Yesterday there was good news in that the Jones Act of the USA had been suspended in the case of Puerto Rico. The act said that only US ships with US crews could deliver to Puerto Rico, so that all help from the DR had to go first to the USA. Now aid can go direct to Puerto Rico which means we can send water and food to our neighbour and just hope the distribution process improves .

there is a lot of confusion about the Jones Act - but if you actually read my post - I know I write excessively long posts
you will find
this

"Carlos C. Martinez Rivera "Even before today's amend to the law, there is regular traffic of goods from the DR to PR on the ferry. It is coming from the DR, but the company is based in Puerto Rico. I used it regularly to travel to and from both island, there is one boat that is a cruise and ferry, and a second boat that is just for cargo. The one that is for cargo has been in operation since at least two days supplying diesel, generators, and other emergency items needed to run buildings without electricity to Mayagüez and other western towns. The port in Mayagüez wasn't really damaged, but the offices and some building were. It needed the OK from Customs, USDA and ICE before it could receive cargo on the ferry, so It took a few days, but it has saved the west from collapsing."

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Yes, I was one of the first to sign up with them. Years ago now. As for any free rooms, I have no idea. Normally Airbnb sends me notices on their suggestions. I have seen nothing on that point.

I did post the links from Air BnB
They have posted for evacuations from Huston
from Florida
from the Islands.

they are also running a special asking for donations for folks to give a credit on Air BnB
which would be a way for some of the Puerto Rican Diaspora to get relatives out of Puerto Rico while the clean up is going on

check their main web page

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
As some of you have noted and expressed concern for our PR neighbors some very heart felt reactions.

Some bring up the commercial aspect that they are "human". My heart sinks at such "crap".

We in the D.R. are very lucky. TWICE! My wife and I have tried to help our friends in the PR via the Red Cross, Fema, CNN, Fox, our Reps from any where and NOT ONE RESPONSE AT ALL!

We have a 3 b/3b fully functional with all our own keep it going infrastructure and less then 10 mins. to a well equipped clinic. We are willing and invite a family unit of 12... or more to use it. We will adjust as needed. My wife and I will send a plane loaded with canned fruit to unload and bring people back to POP and get them back into ... we care mode.

But No One responds. Not one.

We are soo depressed that we can help and ask nothing but to help but...................... can not contact or get a response from anyone.

Anyone know of private planes from POP to San Juan?

DR Solar - I tried to send you a private message but you do not receive them --

I have a good friend here - who used to be in Santo Domingo - named Daisy Caro - some who were there probably know her, she moved here to Florida with her English husband - Jonathan Fay - who used to be a director of Scotia Bank . They moved here - to S. Fl. about when I did last year.

Daisy is Puerto Rican - and - like all Puerto Ricans - has many friends and cousins etc.. who are frantic.

If you wish to send me your email (lizieames@yahoo.com) - I will put her in touch with you.

You are indeed fortunate and generous.

My nephew is in Puerto Rico -
without electricity
without water

and so I am particularly touched by your offer.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Hello mountainannie. I hope that you are well. So many years that you have contributed.

I think that I can receive PM's and Email.

If you have or know of someone that we can help, please let me know. Problem is communications to the PR but willing to try and hopefully do.

Thanks.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
DR Solar - I tried to send you a private message but you do not receive them --

I have a good friend here - who used to be in Santo Domingo - named Daisy Caro - some who were there probably know her, she moved here to Florida with her English husband - Jonathan Fay - who used to be a director of Scotia Bank . They moved here - to S. Fl. about when I did last year.

Daisy is Puerto Rican - and - like all Puerto Ricans - has many friends and cousins etc.. who are frantic.

If you wish to send me your email (lizieames@yahoo.com) - I will put her in touch with you.

You are indeed fortunate and generous.

My nephew is in Puerto Rico -
without electricity
without water

and so I am particularly touched by your offer.

Sent you a private email. I hope that WE can make a difference. Even a little one is good.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Air Century resumes flights San Juan-SD

By Editorial ALMOMENTO.NETDate: October 1, 2017

SANTO DOMINGO.- Air Century resumed flights to Puerto Rico, serving in a first stage the San Juan-Santo Domingo route until the authorities of the neighboring island open the operations of the Luis Muñoz Marín Airport to international flights.

"We wanted to respond to the requirement of many passengers who need to travel to the country and have not been able to do so because of the interruption of operations at the sister island's main airport," said Arantxa Chahin, the airline's marketing coordinator.

Air Century offers a US $ 198 return fare including taxes, effective through November 15 to mark the airline's 25th anniversary.

The airline operates from La Isabela-Joaquin Balaguer International Airport with regular flights to San Juan Puerto Rico and Port-au-Prince, Haiti.

http://almomento.net/air-century-reanuda-vuelos-san-mjuan-sd/

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Air Century resumes flights San Juan-SD

By Editorial ALMOMENTO.NETDate: October 1, 2017

SANTO DOMINGO.- Air Century resumed flights to Puerto Rico, serving in a first stage the San Juan-Santo Domingo route until the authorities of the neighboring island open the operations of the Luis Muñoz Marín Airport to international flights.

"We wanted to respond to the requirement of many passengers who need to travel to the country and have not been able to do so because of the interruption of operations at the sister island's main airport," said Arantxa Chahin, the airline's marketing coordinator.

Air Century offers a US $ 198 return fare including taxes, effective through November 15 to mark the airline's 25th anniversary.

The airline operates from La Isabela-Joaquin Balaguer International Airport with regular flights to San Juan Puerto Rico and Port-au-Prince, Haiti.

http://almomento.net/air-century-reanuda-vuelos-san-mjuan-sd/

Only the small aircraft are definitely back on schedule.

Can reserve Seaborne flights in and out to the islands but Jet Blue blanked out October schedules Saturday.......my mate booked a flight I saw advertised Friday to SDQ from SJU but on Saturday it didn't exist.

Well I have my island flights booked mid October with Seaborne but not SDQ - SJU - SDQ. I am ready to book Air Century out for $99 and PAWA in (I believe they flew today) if JB don't get sorted.

I think this should go to PR thread

Last edited:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I read on the Marina in Casa de Campo site that they offer their sympathy to Puerto Rico and other damaged islands. I thought that was mean spirited when so many yachts from Puerto Rico and the Virgin islands use the facilities at Casa de Campo and pay big money for the privilege . A bit of practical help would have been better .