are hotel room safes "safe?"

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
We'll need to stay a couple of nights in a hotel in Santo Domingo this next trip...wondering if anyone had any "memorable" experiences leaving valuables in their hotel room safe?

How safe are they?

Reactions: Se fue la luz

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I can tell you for a fact that there are employees that can open these safes. Sure they are supposed to fix them, but not everyone is the "salt of the earth" working for peanuts in these hotels...............

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Actual incident review:

Elaina V wrote a review Feb 2020
Oxnard, California1 contribution6 helpful votes

DO NOT STAY HERE ITS NOT SAFE
DO NOT STAY HERE ITS NOT SAFE. I am currently a guest, and cant wait to leave. This is the most beautiful county but i will not come back. My hotel safe was broken into, most probably by hotel staff. My valuables, including my wedding ring, all stolen... The hotel is refusing to release the finding of their "investigation." The response has been "the manager is not on duty." And my husband was accosted by a very aggressive prostitute on hotel property. This is not the experience i expected.
Read less

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Not Safe , DONT DO IT ... or you will eventually learn the hard way .... Especially on the North Coast . the worst .
Never had an issue in Santo Domingo.. but every single one of those Room Safes are TRASH, and can be gotten into in SO many ways its scary .
Use the HOTEL safe , if you have something you will not need for days . and you are better off carrying all your cash with you or hiding it in the room in a really good spot, or better yet a secret Compartment in your Luggage if you can improvise something , than trusting those idiotic things .
Just do a quick U Tube search, you will be shocked .

I trusted them too until I got hit .. never ever again.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Hotel staff generally earn quite good money because of the Propina Legal. A cleaner in Bavaro will make maybe 25000 a month which is way more than the 15000 they would get anywhere else. And usually free meals and cheaper transport. If they do steal from a room safe and are found out they will be dismissed and find it impossible to get a job in another hotel. This is why thefts are uncommon in hotel room safes.

I do agree with the advice however that the best place to leave your valuables is in the US. Don't travel with a lot of cash. There are so many cash machines and you can draw out what you need. And wear cheap jewelry on vacation.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
I stash my passport & iPhone in them, some cash, different cities, no problems so far, knock on wood. Anything is possible here.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
OP, if you can't bear to lose it then do not bring it. No sugar coating. I have family that comes to DR frequently, and as I tell them. Do not bring anything with you that is irreplaceable. That does not mean you can not trust hotels, etc... it means why take the chance.

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
I have never had a problem but don`t doubt those who have.

One time I forgot to lock my safe and the door was wide open and I went out.
I came back and saw that the maid had cleaned the room and nothing was missing from my safe.

Se fue la luz

Instant Karma's gonna get ya!
Aug 7, 2021
Cabarete
Pacsafe has a variety of products https://pacsafe.com/collections/portable-safes-bag-protectors that seem to do the trick.

Someone, while I was in Europe, tried and slash my bag, both the strap and to cut a hole for access, and neither worked for them ;). Neither I or my travel companions noticed at the time.

Pacsafe also has portable, wire mesh or hard-sided "safes" and attach them to something solid like a water pipe for extra peace of mind.

Se fue la luz

Instant Karma's gonna get ya!
Aug 7, 2021
Cabarete
I have never had a problem but don`t doubt those who have.

One time I forgot to lock my safe and the door was wide open and I went out.
I came back and saw that the maid had cleaned the room and nothing was missing from my safe.
I've done that and so have my friends LOL

As MariaRubia posted above, most of the staff value their jobs too much, and I like to believe that most people are good, but when you do silly things and put hundreds or thousands of $$$ left out "anyone" might be tempted.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
buy a milockie device and you will never have a problem. I have been using one for many years and have stayed in hotels that were known to have thefts from their safes and never had a problem. https://www.amazon.com/Milockie-370111-Hotel-Safe-Lock/dp/B0042WWMA8

Yeah, unfortunately, we don't have a lot of choices. We have to bring some valuables with us on our next trip. I'll either use the hotel safe in the lobby if the hotel has one OR ....I'm also checking this clever device that Tom0910 suggested: MILOCKIE. I figure we can use it at our home safe as well in the DR which has a "hotel safe."

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I would suggest leaving them where you live with friends or family.
Santo Domingo has a lot of problems and the police will not help you if anything turns up missing.

Reactions: SKY