Are land prices ridiculous high?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thank You Bob for explaining..It sure can somewhat confusing..lol:classic:
Usually unless you are buying a large piece, building lots are called solares and typical building lot is between 200 to 500 sq meters. Usually the farther from a town...etc the cheaper. If in a fenced development with paved streets the price jumps considerably. It is better to have local enquire about prices as if they were buying or looking for a relative.

SteveK

Jan 23, 2011
Good Advice...Thank You! We're looking to retire (my wife Dominican) in about 2-3 years so we're trying to get a feel on what's
out there...Again, Thanks for your advice! Warmly appreciate it.

rosabblanco

Jul 8, 2010
We're looking to purchase land in the Punal area (10 minutes from the Cibao Airport). What is a tarea?...hectarea?..any thoughts on the market price?

Appreciate any advice/comments:classic::classic:

It all depends on the amount of Meters or lot size. I know of someone selling for a very good price on that area. send me a PM if you are interested on more information. I live close by.
Regards;

Rosa

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
SUpply and demand !
You want it, they got it.... value is what the owner thinks it is worth.
Yes get a Dominican to do the work for you.
That Gringo appearance causes the cash bell to ring high.

More importantly can they produce a Dislinde Title?
Any other title is useless to foreigners.

I had a guy swear on ''a stack of bibles''(metaphorically speaking) that the D-Title was is process.... my Lawyer found out differently. And he was a Canadian! Oh my goodness!
But on the bright side; from reading all the posts on this site I truly do learn a lot more than I would otherwise.
Russell

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Anybody with wits - even a half-wit - who owns property should be getting the 'D'

No Go , Joe --- without it

I agree, but it's very aggravating and takes forever "sometimes". We own two connected parcels, that we bought separately. They were both part of a huge parcel that one family originally owned, now it's owned by about 5-6 of the children, some of whom have died and the others are ancient. Next door neighbor is 100. We bought it all in the late 70s, early 80s.

The first parcel has the house, well, etc., on it. We started the deslinde process in Feb 2015 on that parcel. As of today, we still don't have it. We don't anticipate problems, in fact we've been told it was approved, but it drags on and on.

The second parcel will be the problem, it's supposed to have 9 tareas, but when it was surveyed it's actually 8. We told them to title it as 8, and they said 'no, we have to find the other tarea'. The property is fenced, can you just SEE us trying to convince a Dominican neighbor that they have one of our tareas???

Long story short... 1. Do NOT buy a property without a deslinde. And, 2. If you think you're going to sell your property within the next 5 years, start your deslinde NOW.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Good advice

My most recent purchase looked like all one neat parcel.... Nope

4-5 smaller ones , all needing D.
Done one by one and finished.

I slowed my payments to match the legal process.... kept the seller involved

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Hilltop Land

We still own about 55,000 sqm (approx. 13 acres or 87 tareas) with 180-degree sea view above Las Terrenas.
As we are now in Italy we are thinking of selling.

Ciao
donP

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I agree, but it's very aggravating and takes forever "sometimes". We own two connected parcels, that we bought separately. They were both part of a huge parcel that one family originally owned, now it's owned by about 5-6 of the children, some of whom have died and the others are ancient. Next door neighbor is 100. We bought it all in the late 70s, early 80s.

The first parcel has the house, well, etc., on it. We started the deslinde process in Feb 2015 on that parcel. As of today, we still don't have it. We don't anticipate problems, in fact we've been told it was approved, but it drags on and on.

The second parcel will be the problem, it's supposed to have 9 tareas, but when it was surveyed it's actually 8. We told them to title it as 8, and they said 'no, we have to find the other tarea'. The property is fenced, can you just SEE us trying to convince a Dominican neighbor that they have one of our tareas???

Long story short... 1. Do NOT buy a property without a deslinde. And, 2. If you think you're going to sell your property within the next 5 years, start your deslinde NOW.

It takes forever, however Dominican will buy as long as the Deslinde is in process. We are currently in the process of buy 5 lots, 2 in one urban area and 3 in another. Deslinde is complete on the 3 lots but still in process on the other. There have been house built on most of the other lots and they have been sold within 6 months of being built. There is a good market in family homes under 6 million pesos.

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
we have 5,100 m2 land in / near Candalone/ El Casitllo  with Deslinda which took over 3 yrs to get. We have it listed for sale and to my mind the realator( ?) put way to high a price on it.($40 US per M square) she says she knows the area well (?) who knows....Me I would take any reasonable offer.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Buying property is like everything in the DR - time consuming and costs too much money to process, with a crook or lawyer around every corner who will jump in if you let them.

I think the rule of thumb here is offer what you think it is worth and if it has been on the market for 1 year or more offer them 75% - a lot of owners sell for lowball offers.
I have seen a couple extranjeros buy, get fed up, decide the DR isn't for them and they leave and really just want to unload and be done.
I have seen some homes in La Mulata on the market for 5+ years.
In another area I looked at a house I liked that was on the market for 3 years (decent area), empty but the owner continues to pay for pool and landscaping services and the realtor refused to present my offer $35K less than the asking, so I rented a house and after now I am debating staying in the DR too

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Buying property is like everything in the DR - time consuming and costs too much money to process, with a crook or lawyer around every corner who will jump in if you let them.

I think the rule of thumb here is offer what you think it is worth and if it has been on the market for 1 year or more offer them 75% - a lot of owners sell for lowball offers.
I have seen a couple extranjeros buy, get fed up, decide the DR isn't for them and they leave and really just want to unload and be done.
I have seen some homes in La Mulata on the market for 5+ years.
In another area I looked at a house I liked that was on the market for 3 years (decent area), empty but the owner continues to pay for pool and landscaping services and the realtor refused to present my offer $35K less than the asking, so I rented a house and after now I am debating staying in the DR too

You have to remember Chico what goes up on net in DR Realty rarely gets taken down...my house shows two different listings oldest 7 yrs...