Arrive in 2 months and 2 days with questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
thanks again....

As for Ocean world, try calling them when you arrive and as for a group discount, then hire a driver with a van... they may also arrange for pickup with your size group. No need for a tour operator to take you there, it's only about a 40 minute drive from Breezes...however, I think some of the bigger ones may be able to get you a group discount cheaper than the standard p/p charge if Oceanworld doesnt offer it directly.

My worry is making a reservation upon arrival and not beforehand as I like to have everything planned (even tho that always doesnt work out). I will see what I can do on the Oceanworld website.
You say to "then hire a driver with a van" - - does that mean there are drivers for hire in front of my resort?

Thanks for all your help David (my hubbys name is David):cheeky:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
There likely won't be any vans in front of your hotel, but you can ask at the taxi stand in Sosua or Cabarete and take a phone number or two. If all else fails, just ask for a Van from the front desk.

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
Thanks David (again) and will look into it. I have to take some notes on cab drivers etc on rates, which cars are "government"?
I have so much research to do and still trying to secure transportation for our group when we arrive at POP on the 9th of February as well as some of my group arriving on the 10th.

I love this website and CANNOT WAIT to visit the DR - my group are definitely "off the resort" type of people!

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
The whale watching is great, highly recommend it, even though it is an early start (about 5am). Ask what type of boat though. Some trips use speedboats. They break the speed limits and try to get too close to the whales, which upsets them while they are trying to mate or give birth. Also, they have no shade, so you will fry out there. The decent tours (like Kim's apparently-that's who we will go with next time) use an observation boat, so you can see further. You also have shade when you need it! First time we went we were in speed boats but we didn't know any better. Second time we had an observation boat but it was part of a 'complete package' so I don't know who ran it.

The second time we went, there were two observation boats slowly put-putting along next to each other, about 200 yards apart, everyone looking for a whale, with none in sight. Suddenly a mother and calf just surfaced right in the middle between us. they both swam with us, holding the same course, for what felt like ages, then they suddenly dived! Amazing, I think they were as curious about us as we were of them!

Enjoy your holiday, if you can get on a whale watching trip, you won't regret it, other than losing the partying the night before!:tired:

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
I really want to do the whale watching and will follow the suggestions I have gotten here. Just have to decide on a day - I heard weekends are busy at resort, so possibly a sunday - but do not want to be involved with boats etc that can harm them (or me)!!!:cheeky:

I am really excited about this trip and want to have some definitive plans before we arrive for 9 days of heaven.

Thanks everyone....AGAIN for all the help and advice..it means alot and already is making my vacation much easier!!

Status
Not open for further replies.