ATM Rates?????

da_rottweiler

Jan 4, 2002
ezinfocenter.com
Banco Popular - Torre SD

Hello Everyone

I work on the International Money Exchange here at the Torre BPD
All ATM & CreditCard transactions in the DR are controlled by CardNET and the issuer of the Card

When a Client uses their card at an ATM to withdraw a Cash Advance we charge a collateral fee for using our money and machines, plus the Bank whom issued the card charges an exchange rate which gives them a little profit too

These rates vary depending upon the issuer of the card.

Here in the DR all ATM's and POS transactions are controlled by CardNET.

CardNET is operated by Banco Popular on behalf of all the banks located here in the Dominican Repubic.

I hope that this finally resolves all the issues, in the previous emails

NS

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
better source, same information as given previously

da_rottweiler said:
Hello Everyone

I work on the International Money Exchange here at the Torre BPD
All ATM & CreditCard transactions in the DR are controlled by CardNET and the issuer of the Card

When a Client uses their card at an ATM to withdraw a Cash Advance we charge a collateral fee for using our money and machines, plus the Bank whom issued the card charges an exchange rate which gives them a little profit too

These rates vary depending upon the issuer of the card.

Here in the DR all ATM's and POS transactions are controlled by CardNET.

CardNET is operated by Banco Popular on behalf of all the banks located here in the Dominican Repubic.

I hope that this finally resolves all the issues, in the previous emails

NS

Banco Leon ATMs appear to be publishing their exchange rate (45 to the dollar today) as well as the ATM transaction fee on their end. A 3,000 peso withdrawal this afternoon netted out to 3,067 pesos exclusive of my card issuer's US$1 fee. That equals or beats the 43.50 to 44.00 rate I've seen at cambios the past few days.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Using A Checking Account Instead.....

I may be wrong but it appears that some of you are living here and still using ATM machines to get your money from the USA. That is not the best way to do it. The best way to do it is to open a dollar account with a DR bank...I have mine with banreservas because they dont require you to submit references. I simply write a check on my account in the USA into the Banreservas account. When the money clears in about eight days I take out what I want in dollars. I then take those dollars and exchange wherever I please. My bank in USA charges me nothing. Banreservas charges me nothing. And I get the best rate I can manage to find.

Hope that helps

jcarn

Jun 28, 2004
When I went to dr on vacation......

I took out 5000 pesos from my credit card Twice (cuz I didnt even bring my check card due to security reasons). I was charged 108.51 for each transaction. In other words,,,, the rate was 46.07 per $us. I was there from 7/2 to 7/5

I withdrew the pesos from two different atms both banco popular. After my first transaction, my credit card company literally freaked out and called my house five times in one day. I wound up calling them collect from a payphone in santo domingo to explain that it was really me. I used only two atms. One in boca chica and one in santo domingo both banco popular. For some strange reason I couldnt withdraw more than 5000 pesos per location tho...

really freaky part was when I tried to use the fast cash option and the max was set to about 500 peso.

sofiss

Sep 13, 2004
Hi

There's nothing else to say. I have posted the same thing at least half a dozen times but folks just don't seem to want to pay attention. The owner of the ATM really has no say in the exchange rate. They can and sometimes do tack on per use 'fees'. But the exchange rate is set elsewehere at the source of your funds.

Sofia check out my Galapagos Islands , website

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Today's finding

Banco Popular ATM, San Pedro de Macoris

Withdrew RD$5,000 using my American ATM card. Was charged US$142.98. Which translate into US$=RD$34.97.

I guess an US ATM does come handy when the street rate drops faster than the official rate.

I think I'm gonna repeat this process today before the rate drops yet again !!

franco

Nov 5, 2003
ATM @ Body Shop (NACO) Santo Domingo - RD$5,000.00 for US$173.18.

Rate: RD$28,87/US$1