avian flu?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
canadian bob said:
Mirador, I am interested to learn what you actually mean re: "I have baskets, bags, containers full of herbs & / or know where to find them." Is this for real, or am I missing a hidden meaning here ...? Curious & hoping for your explanation....Canadian Bob.

What is hidden is the fact that a large proportion of the DR population has no access to modern medicine and pharmaceutical therapies, and there are ailments that can be treated with the use of traditional herbal therapies.

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Some of you obviously only read headlines and not the content -

"it is not the same strain that has lead to 24 deaths in Asia"

In fact there have always been strains of this type around. And yeah, let the Canadian bashing continue. Just like SARS....it did not begin here in Canada - it was brought here, just like it can be brought there.

GREATZKY

Sep 5, 2003
SARS pt.II ?

Call me a pessimist but it sounds like SARS pt II, where is SARS now? This virus was going to wipe every child and elderly person off the planet...and...? It started in Feb of 03 and was contained by June of the same year!!!

Yes, avian flue is a threat, but don't turn it into another "Global whining" incident. It's only a matter of time before Al Gore (ex-President in his own mind) will take up the issue, so he can forge his way in stealing and discredits another Nobel "peace" prize, to pay his electric bill's (20x the average U.S. household) so he can "global warm" his mansion, (abc13.com: Al Gore's 'Inconvenient Truth'? -- $30,000 utility bill 2/28/07) :speechles ,"do as i say, not as I do" A. Gore.

I know my opinion will not be welcome on this tread, I'm not attacking anyone here. I'm just suggesting that we allow the scientist, researchers, and doctors do what they do best and let the conspiracy theorists babble on about how it's another way the "Neo cons" are tring to take over the world. Fear is a "weapon of mass distruction", don't push that button just yet...

[url="http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-10-04-bush-avianflu_x.htm[/URL]

P.S. In the States the USA Today is as credible as the Weekly World News:alien:, I wouldn't even use it to wrap my fish in it, due to infection!!! :ermm:

P.S.S. I am a "surfing environmentalist" for the past three decades, I've been protecting the Ocean long before it was "pop culture" or "hip", my resume includes Sea World, Ocean World and Scripps Institute of Oceanography's Birch Aquarium...I do care!!!;)

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
That's the trouble with sanitary vigilance regimes, when they function more or less as intended the big outbreaks don't occur because of early warning and containment measures, and lay people tend to later say, see, all that alarm for nothing... Yet if the steps had not been taken on avian influenza and a massive outbreak had occurred and many had died, everyone would shout why weren't we warned, why didn't they prepare...

I do suspect that the avian influenza panic was overplayed by the press. But if one reads the research papers about the similarities between the strain of avian influenza they worry about and the influenza strain that killed so many in the early 20th century and for which a suitable vaccine was never made, then it's not hard to understand why public health officials fret about it.

By the way, heading the global effort to prepare & stay vigilant on avian influenza is the World Health Organization's Director-General, Dr. Chan. She had to deal with SARS in Hong Kong, so she has a pretty good idea of the stakes involved with avian influenza.

I seriously doubt Al Gore will jump into this issue. Your diatribe about him was...well, gratuitous. He seems to be everyone's favorite punching bag these days for just about anything and everything... well, folks, be forewarned: this thread is about avian influenza ("bird flu"), not Al Gore. If it gets sidetracked again to Al Gore or anything else not closely linked to bird flu, I will delete until people get the message, just as I did 2 yrs ago.

Had to wonder when people started posting on a 2-yr old thread...:tired:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I understand that it was revived because of the recent notification, which is fine. I wasn't really referring to that.

It's just that, as 10-yr participant on DR1 and DR1 moderator for just over 4 yrs, I've seen many old threads (in all forums) revived only to quickly "go South" once they do. Not sure why it happens, but it frequently does. I think the other mods know what I'm talking about...

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
pathogenicity and the economy

Not only is avian flu a risk for mutating into somthing that becomes pathogenic for humans with a high incidence rate and no available vaccine, which is one reason that infected birds are destroyed. Equally of concern is the spread to domestic foul and poultry stock that can have a devastating impact on the livelihoods and economic wellbeing for families that are dependent on eggs, chicken for protein and sale of the few birds they raise to generate income. Should such disease spread it would have devastating consequences for thousands of the poorest families of society.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
From memory
"normaly" the Flu starts somewhere as bird flu and then mutates into a virus that affects pigs. Pigs are anatomicaly speaking much closer to humans than birds and the posibillity of a mutation from those strains is relatively big.

the outbrake of spanish flue after WWI was caused by the fact that during WWI due to logistics Pigs and humans lived in real close proximity to each other with much interaction and "turnover" ( New "flesh" was imported on a dayly base) ad to that the weakend soldiers and it is the perfect breeding ground for a mutation to get a stronghold.

After WWI the soldiers went home and took an unwelcomed guest alonge.

result a pandemic

We know this and we can prepare ourselfs

The widespread panic over sars and the avian flue has resulted in a hastened search for a vacine that works for more than one strain of flu.
Only last week Belgian scientists anounced that they have had the first succesfull tests with such a vacine that even would be effectif against the avian flu we're so afraid of

Greetings

Johan

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Here are some links on avian influenza which is being monitored very carefully all over the world and by the public health authorities in the Dominican Republic. The inspector there, I forget her name, suspected it, had the specimen tested by the reference laboratory that everyone uses, and then took the appropriate steps to contain it. (Killed all the birds.)

Here in Canada we also watch for it, but we also have a public-funded health system that pays for it all. And there are many private companies who are part of it so emergency preparedness is big business and you can loose a lot of business when you have an outbreak (SARS in Canada).
MOHLTC - EMU - Avian Influenza - QA

Here is one on pandemic flu.
MOHLTC - EMU - Influenza Pandemic

And it not the seasonal flu that we have free yearly vaccines for jere in Canada. I used to be skeptical, but now I'm a believer so I line up for my injection at work.

Regarding pandemic preparedness, we have policies, processes and procedures that we follow daily to prevent an outbreak and in the event of an emergency. What to do when a significant percentage of our staff will be at home sick etc. Instructions for employees to stay home when they have certain symptoms -- high fever etc. We have elaborate plans on how we will continue to provide our services in the event of a pandemic. We have to do this because we provide services to all the medical laboratories in Ontario and some other provinces (CAREC also). Let's hope we never see a massive outbreak of bird flu and pandemic flu like we did with SARs and the Spanish influenza but with international travel it can spread more rapidly all over the world.

Last edited:

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Cool your jets just a minute there!!

The H5N2 avian influenza reported in the DR was a low virulent type, that given the quantity exposed to it, does in fact present a high chance that the people who handled them have acquired the antibody to fight it 100% normally.

Exposure to this type of Avian influenza is not dangerous, unless nursing a previous infection that could mutate the newly introduced virus in that person; as a matter of fact this same type of low virulent influenza has been used to inoculate people against the even more dangerous types with some limited success reported.

However, since the virus is that, a "Virus"; strict care is taken to eradicate any infections that may be exposed to a carrier and given the chance to mutate accordingly.

The divulging of information on this type of virus is what makes safety paramount to any other priority regarding the protection of local economy. If the infections are hidden for fear of affecting the crops export, tourism industry and such; the price to pay, could be the difference between some stock being destroyed and Hell on earth revisited...

Unlike China, the DR has shown that it takes responsibility when the safety of millions and region can be affected trustfully... Full cooperation and disclosure is primordial so that fast action and measures can be taken to avoid the propagation of an unimaginable killer to friendly shores unannounced...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Haiti has banned egg and poultry imports from DR

Haiti bans some chicken imports

I note that the outbreak here was in Higuey - not Moca where most of the eggs sold on the border are produced. Also read that PR has banned imports of roosters.

Can anyone tell me more on this? Anyone know the contact numbers for any poultry producers that I can interview (I write for InterPress Service)

thanks -

elizabeth

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Ban not lifted

No - the ban appears to be still in effect. The Haitian agricultural minister came over today. The egg producers in Moca are planning on boycotting the market in Dajabon next week (Today's Listin editorial)-- although I am not sure of the reasoning behind that. ClaveDigital reports that 52% of the DR' s egg production is sold to Haiti.

There have also been bans placed on importation of DR chickens and eggs to Aruba, Jamaica, Puerto Rico.

I know that this was not the "fatal" form of bird flu. But I wonder why, then, is there such an international reaction.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
The World Bank just gave Haiti US$1.6 million to set up prevention, surveillance, reporting, mitigation and response measures for avian influenza, noting that isolated cases have been reported among poultry in both Haiti (June 2008) and the DR (Dec. 2007).

Anybody heard what the DR is doing these days regarding the issue?