avocado farming

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Yeah I have been asking around this afternoon.
Seems that this time of year there are hardly any avocados and they go for 30 pesos y adelante!!!!!
I only have 1 tree that is giving avocados now, but I eat them!!!!

When avocados are plentiful they go for around 10 pesos. The best for selling, I was told, are the variety that are long(ish).

Suprisinly, a guy who buys avocados here, tells me he even buys "a la flora". He looks at ure tree when it is flowering and gives u a price. All the avocados that grow that year on the tree are his!!!!! He is really gambling because hard rain can knock off all ure flowers...... but if u have a good eye ( says he ) it can really pay off.......

I also learned some trees give fruit every year. Most of mine do.( most common here is number 34. Big, smooth skinned....)
Others every 2 years and some even every 3 years....... and they are supposed to be the "the mas suave"........

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yeah I have been asking around this afternoon.
Seems that this time of year there are hardly any avocados and they go for 30 pesos y adelante!!!!!
I only have 1 tree that is giving avocados now, but I eat them!!!!

When avocados are plentiful they go for around 10 pesos. The best for selling, I was told, are the variety that are long(ish).

Suprisinly, a guy who buys avocados here, tells me he even buys "a la flora". He looks at ure tree when it is flowering and gives u a price. All the avocados that grow that year on the tree are his!!!!! He is really gambling because hard rain can knock off all ure flowers...... but if u have a good eye ( says he ) it can really pay off.......

I also learned some trees give fruit every year. Most of mine do.( most common here is number 34. Big, smooth skinned....)
Others every 2 years and some even every 3 years....... and they are supposed to be the "the mas suave"........

My husband has been planting poponol variety, very long and large, and supposedly give fruit twice a year. Here's a pic of the last batch.

IMG_0709.jpg

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Lovely!!!!! Thats the ones they were speaking about.....
I planted some a year ago ( like 6 or 7) and a couple have flowers already.

I might have got it wrong twice a year and not once every 2 years.... he spoke like a machine gun.....

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The DR is the leading avocado producer in Central America and the Caribbean. The map is 8 or 9 years old, but I doubt much has change since then.

(Right click on the image and then click on open in new tab to see the entire map)

image-346.jpg

Mar 12, 2014
My first harvest was a success back in Dec.2014 and now looking forward end of this years harvest . If anyone out there knows a person or a place for exporting avocados please do let me know. I have semil34 avocados for sale ........ thank you in advance
Cheers DonDimi

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
Avocadoes are everywhere right now because of the season... Anybody who is farming and harvesting avocadoes right now is gaining ****loads of money.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Avocadoes are everywhere right now because of the season... Anybody who is farming and harvesting avocadoes right now is gaining ****loads of money.

We have a lot of them, but they aren't as large as previous years.