Bacalao

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There is nothing usual/common about it. Its expensive and its prepared just for fancy meals in DR. You are not going to see Bacaloa as plato del dia everyday, everywhere, no happening.

See post #38. Not sure why you think your Dominican experience, which seems somewhat limited judging by your posts would override that of actual Dominicans. Nobody has said it is the same as plato del dia simple that it isnt unusual nor a delicacy. Certainly my Dominican family dont think of it that way. It is simply fish to eat on fridays.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The introduction of bacalao into the DR diet as a staple happened at a time when refrigeration was scarce, cod was really cheap, and it was another source of inexpensive protein in the DR diet. Add to this the fact that it is still salty, even when blanched in water overnight, and you see why it is an addiction in a country where, salt, sugar, and saturated fats are an addiction. Adequate Salt intake is necessary in a tropical climate, sugar is necessary for energy, and a certain amount of fat is required to maintain proper body function. All good for you in moderation. Moderation is not part of the diet for a large number of Dominicans and many North Americans judging by the rampant obesity. 

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The introduction of bacalao into the DR diet as a staple happened at a time when refrigeration was scarce, cod was really cheap, and it was another source of inexpensive protein in the DR diet. Add to this the fact that it is still salty, even when blanched in water overnight, and you see why it is an addiction in a country where, salt, sugar, and saturated fats are an addiction. Adequate Salt intake is necessary in a tropical climate, sugar is necessary for energy, and a certain amount of fat is required to maintain proper body function. All good for you in moderation. Moderation is not part of the diet for a large number of Dominicans and many North Americans judging by the rampant obesity. 

That's what "Aunt" Clara has always said about bacalao. It became popular when it was a cheap option. Also:

It was probably brought by sailors who used this method of preservation to transport fish from across the ocean, making it popular across the Caribbean islands.
https://www.dominicancooking.com/623-bacalao-a-la-criolla-codfish-a-la-dominicana.html

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
There is nothing usual/common about it. Its expensive and its prepared just for fancy meals in DR. You are not going to see Bacaloa as plato del dia everyday, everywhere, no happening.

you don't seem to pay any attention to posts that say its common. Just bought today and it cheaper than a lot of the other meats.

hum fancy meals you mean like rice and beans??

I don't know where you live here in the DR but you seem very opinionated even when it flies in the face of reality.

from the post above

"Agreed, bacalao is a very common staple in Dominican cuisine which is prepared in many ways:
- Stewed bacalao with potatoes (bacalao guisado con papas)
- Stewed bacalao (bacalao guisado)
- Bacalao with scrambled eggs
- Bacalao w/yellow rice (locrio de bacalao)
- Bacalao sauteed with onions (often accompanied with plantains/mangu)
- Bacalaitos (bacalao fritters)"

now which of those in your mind qualify as fancy meals???

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
See post #38. Not sure why you think your Dominican experience, which seems somewhat limited judging by your posts would override that of actual Dominicans. Nobody has said it is the same as plato del dia simple that it isnt unusual nor a delicacy. Certainly my Dominican family dont think of it that way. It is simply fish to eat on fridays.

FWIW, the cafeteria in my free zone offers Bacalao for Breakfast twice a week, and as a "Plato del dia" twice a week as well.

So, 4 out of 5 days ever week.

Usually the first thing they run out of each meal.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Bacaloa, Plantains, Spaghetti the three Dominican strikeouts.

.....dont forget the sardines in rice and beans...ugh....can you imagine what a ship filled with non cod bacaloa smelled like in about the year 1600 ?...anyway the swedish part of my family on christmas always served lutefish..thats cod preserved in lye, then soaked in water for about 24 hours to remove the lye...which it never totally did...the plan was always have several drinks before the lutefish.....

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018

Yet, another great post. Thanks

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
.....dont forget the sardines in rice and beans...ugh....can you imagine what a ship filled with non cod bacaloa smelled like in about the year 1600 ?...anyway the swedish part of my family on christmas always served lutefish..thats cod preserved in lye, then soaked in water for about 24 hours to remove the lye...which it never totally did...the plan was always have several drinks before the lutefish.....

YIKES many times!!

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018

But yet usual?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
But yet usual?

Just why do Catholics eat fish on Friday – or, better said, why do Catholics abstain from warm-blooded flesh meat on Friday? The obvious answer that every Catholic should know is that it is a penance imposed by the Church to commemorate the day of the Crucifixion of Our Lord – to enable us to make a small sacrifice for the incredible sacrifice He made for our salvation. Why, then, is fish allowed? The drawing of a symbolic fish in the dirt was a way that the early Christians knew each other when it was dangerous to admit in public that one was Christian. Our Lord cooked fish for His Apostles after His Resurrection, and most of these men were fishermen. After He established His Church, these fishermen became “fishers of men” for the Kingdom of God.
My Dominican family are catholic, they believe in eating fish on Fridays. Me I am neither religious or a fish eater, although I do like a feed of Red Snapper or Salmon at times. My father, being a maritimer like to feed us seafood on a regular basis but I never took to it. Usual
(conventional) yes, as many people have pointed out to you. Not all the DR is like you observe, obviously. JD Jones has been in the DR for decades.
I had linguine with albacor tuna for lunch, cooked by by MIL and it was good.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
As a good Catlick (Catholic) we had fish religiously (pun) every Friday, fish cakes made from bacalao, onions, potatoes and summer savoury. Usually with beans. Here’s the part that stuck in my craw. Across the dinner table, my father who was a member of the United Church would be chowing down on a steak. Confusing no doubt and even more confusing when the Pope did away with the requirement later on. I still observe that former rule on Good Friday.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
That's what "Aunt" Clara has always said about bacalao. It became popular when it was a cheap option. Also:

https://www.dominicancooking.com/623-bacalao-a-la-criolla-codfish-a-la-dominicana.html

Your last statement in your post may be true. It may have been a staple on board Columbus’s ships on their second voyage when he landed in the DR. Assuming no other European ships had sailed there previously, his crew probably introduced it into the DR aboriginal diet.