Back from DR first time traveler

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Thats the problem with this forum..Everyone on this board is a know it all...Only what they like is the right thing..dont do that, do this, dont move here, you will be sorry,Dont bring your black girls to blue mall..What a bunch of crap...

FYI DR1 PEOPLE, NOT EVERYONE LIKES WHAT YOU LIKE..No we are not stupid because we dont eat where you eat, or drink where you eat..No we are not low lifes because we dont hang out with all those VIP Dominicans..Maybe some peaple like dark girls, So fuc#** what. What do you care what other people do..

WELL said. Personally I believe everyone has the right to their opinion. Some stronger then others............;););)

Take the advice and info that works for you and discard the rest. Ignore the abusive type posts and be entertained by the rest.......... and please do not lump all posters or long term posters together, they are not all the same.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Maybe the difference is in the music. Bachata and merengue are fun dances but salsa dancing is intriguing and fasinating to watch and never tiring to listen to.

Just my opinion from what I've seen but Cubans are great salsa dancers and Dominicans are great merengue and bachata dancers and again only in my opinion neither one can do the other as well. ;)

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Venezuela is ok

Anyone who thinks Av. Venezuela is the "happening" place is certainly not qualified to be an expert on most anything. I wish AZB would see this....certainly not the Santo Domingo I visit or would even think of visiting.

While this might seem harsh, most of this board would agree that is a touchy place to play...

HB

HB easy there mi amigo... I disagree and think it comes down to personal opinion so he is as qualified as the next guy including AZB.
I think number one the OP is probably in a younger age bracket. Secondly, he probably noticed the fact that this street is very much unlike any other I have seen anywhere in the world,( ive travelled to countless countries in 5 continents) whereas the a street full of bars, where they all spill out into a street party. This is a busy place every weekend regardless of the economy, and therefore the ability to meet people and girls which i feel sparked his interest somewhat.
Its not really my scene but would have been 10 years ago, but I have taken friends and tourist visitors there many times, ALL have enjoyed and never ever felt threatened or unsafe.
This is the "other side" of Santo Domingo but make no mistake it is SD and im glad. It good to see some variety as opposed to the Jevito, fancy jeepeta driving types where its only about what you wear, drive and hangout and be seen with...That to me is not the real SD or at least I hope not..
IMO which may mean nada to some...

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Tru-life, you did the best thing and explored the country on your own, as opposed to staying in a resort for a week. As far as the dancing, I'm biased and support DR folks, but objectively speaking, Cubans are better dancers when it comes to salsa and son and mambo, whereas Dominicans are better at merengue and bachata. However, Dominicans are quicker to pick up steps and learn to dance just about anything, which is something I can't say regarding Cubans (and I live in Miami aka Havana Pt. 2 so I've seen it LOL).

As far as Ave Venezuela, it's much different than it was a few years ago. Hillbilly isn't wrong in saying that it's not the best place to visit, but his opinion would've made more sense back in 2006-2007. I was in DR from the 7th thru the 12th of this month and the changes surprised me. As someone who frequents many bars and nightclubs in SD, I was surprised to see a place like Wao! where the environment and the design of the place can compete with any spot on the other side of town (and the prices too, good lord :laugh:). My preference is for places in "downtown" Santo Domingo since it is closer to my house and most of my friends hang out there, but there's nothing wrong in going to "La Venezuela" and having a few drinks on a Thursday in Cool Bar, which is "ladies night" and they outnumber us guys 3 to 1 :cheeky:

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
banned?
i noticed rsg has banned under his name
does that mean he can no longer post?

if not, why was he banned?

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
You're right, I had to laugh when I read that because I swear our grandson danced before he walked. (Now, if he only had a little talent at his favorite pasttime!) I swear as soon as he hears music anywhere he starts dancing.

AE

The same must be true for Colombians because my daughter was dancing and shaking her little bum around before she could walk too.....she'd hold onto the furniture, pull herself up and start shaking... even if there was no music and we just clapped our hands she'd do it...LOL