Barahona (city): Good little-known information

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
BTW: Did any of you know who Guarocuya was?

Guarocuya or better known as Cacique Enriquillo, was the nephew of Queen Anacaona who was married to Cacique Caonabo...

Guarocuya got the name of Enrique when he was baptized a Catholic.
Since colonists always treated the Tainos as lesser people, it was common to use Enriquillo (as it meant to call a child or younger adult).

That's where that name comes from!

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
BTW: Did any of you know who Guarocuya was?

Guarocuya or better known as Cacique Enriquillo, was the nephew of Queen Anacaona who was married to Cacique Caonabo...

Guarocuya got the name of Enrique when he was baptized a Catholic.
Since colonists always treated the Tainos as lesser people, it was common to use Enriquillo (as it meant to call a child or younger adult).

That's where that name comes from!

Great information, I had forgotten this, and I dutifully read "Enriquillo" in 5th grade!!!

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
More places

Health food store: It's across from Melo's cafe, a little further up the street. Some of the stuff they sell you can get at the supermercados (soy milk, soy pieces, pasta integral), but it's the only place in Barahona I've seen arroz integral. They also have some good granola for only RD $60.

New restaurant: Called "Ricoled", it's located on the corner up the street from BanReservas (calle Maria Montes). They have a plato del dia, which is actually a cafeteria-style selection of several different types of rice/meat/salads. They also have sandwiches, fries, hamburgers, empanadas and wraps. It's a nice, clean, new place in a little patio with lots of plants and yellow patio umbrellas. Good cheap option for lunch. They deliver: 809-524-6377

Cakes: Across from Ricoled there is a bakery where you can buy cake by the slice or order one.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
New restaurant: Called "Ricoled", it's located on the corner up the street from BanReservas (calle Maria Montes). They have a plato del dia, which is actually a cafeteria-style selection of several different types of rice/meat/salads. They also have sandwiches, fries, hamburgers, empanadas and wraps. It's a nice, clean, new place in a little patio with lots of plants and yellow patio umbrellas. Good cheap option for lunch. They deliver: 809-524-6377

Thanks for the info. Are they open for breakfast? I always stay in Bahoruco and do my errands in Barahona early in the morning so I am always on the lookout for a good breakfast with lots of fresh hot coffee.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
I don't know if they're open for breakfast, you could drive by and check. I know Melo's is open and they have pancakes and french toast.
What is "Diomedes"? I have never heard of it.

Feb 15, 2005
I don't know if they're open for breakfast, you could drive by and check. I know Melo's is open and they have pancakes and french toast.
What is "Diomedes"? I have never heard of it.

lol
Not WHAT is! Whom is. Diomendes is an owner of one of the kiosks in San Rafael, he is right below the rotunda or below the building to the left of the parking lot.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Marilyn/Minerva, do either of you ever go to Diomedes over in San Rafael?

I don't know if I have met Diomedes, but I have eaten the delicious food in San Rafael, especially the "bollitos de yuca", the best ever... next time I go I'll make sure I go to "Diomedes" and sample his moro de guandules con pescado con coco... uuuhhmmm

Feb 15, 2005
I don't know if I have met Diomedes, but I have eaten the delicious food in San Rafael, especially the "bollitos de yuca", the best ever... next time I go I'll make sure I go to "Diomedes" and sample his moro de guandules con pescado con coco... uuuhhmmm

I had a N.Y. tuna fish sandwich for lunch,,not too cool Marilyn. :tired:

ronks

Aug 13, 2003
Hotel Gran Marquis

Several years ago, I have stayed at the Hotel Gran Marquis and have found it to be the nicest place to stay in Baharona. It was of a fairly new construction and the rooms are clean and well maintained with TV, AC. It was not budget cheap, but well worth the reasonable price of 900-1000 pesos (roughly $30). It is located next to the Hielo Everest, which is a very lively spot for Dominican to socialize. The reception did not have any problem with entering a "guest". It is near the corner of the Malecon and a bit out of the central area, which I found to be a plus. In the evenings it seems many people jog or do their walking exercise routine on the Malecon, so you can safely join them. And then it is just a walk to the restaurants and night life on the Malecon.

I never felt threatened walking at night in the town, although I would caution against walking in the barrios or to any of the beaches outside of the town alone during the day. The locals warn of the Tigres, so do take that into consideration. There is also a very good internet cafe just about 1/2 mile on the road into town. The people who ran it were really warm and friendly and very helpful in getting information. Enjoy your stay.

Ron

Collingwood

Dec 4, 2004
How long from Jimani Haitian Border to Barahona

Hi Soutwest DR1er's

I am thinking of taking a drive from Petion-Ville, Haiti to Barahona via Jimani. Am in the process of completing the paperwork on my Jeep to allow me to drive in the DR. How many km's from Jimani to Barahona and whats that condition of the road. Oh and is there a golf course in the area? Probably going to spend a week exploring Barahona and surrounds. Your posts have been very helpful to date.

Thanks
Collingwood

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Free WiFi at Pala Pizza

FYI, Pala Pizza in Barahona now has free wireless internet. There is one internet place I know that has wireless (Giganet one block up the street from banco Popular), but charges RD $50/hour.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
Jimani - Barahona road

Hi Soutwest DR1er's

I am thinking of taking a drive from Petion-Ville, Haiti to Barahona via Jimani. Am in the process of completing the paperwork on my Jeep to allow me to drive in the DR. How many km's from Jimani to Barahona and whats that condition of the road. Oh and is there a golf course in the area? Probably going to spend a week exploring Barahona and surrounds. Your posts have been very helpful to date.

Thanks
Collingwood

The distance from Jimani to Barahona is approximately 100 km. if you take the southern route through El Limon and Duverge - somewhat longer if you take the northern route around lago Enriquillo through Neiba.

The road is generally good black-top with a couple of smaller stretches with destroyed surface and extensive potholes, but nothing prohibitive.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Good Barahona Taxi

I located the card that I got from the taxi driver we used several times to and from hotels on the coast and one time all the way to Hoyo Pelempito. He helped us negociate a moto trip for the last couple of miles of unpassable road to the observation tower. He took us shopping at Jacobo and out to Los Patos. He was always puntual and friendly and we never had any problems with him. He is based in Barahona and he speaks only spanish. COMPANIA DE TAXI CHALLENGER Cell#809-465-5644. His name is Antonio Bello and he drives a 7 passanger minivan with his company name on the side. He makes a habit of meeting the Caribetours bus to get passangers.