Barahona

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Reactions: hazrae

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Not much in Barahona. But if you keep going agout 40-50 minutes ;there is a great beach. And near it on a hilltop is a really nice hotel. I forgot the name and tried to find it but failed. Most of the hotels are sub par to say the least in Barahona proper...............

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Interesting enough, I have not found that most of the hotel are sub par in Barahona proper.
But then I don't operate from a gringo platform of privilege.

I have stayed at the following hotels:

Hotel Costa Larimar
and the
Hotel Caribe

I recommend both.
And the Hotel Caribe has an excellent restaurant next to it.

At the Hotel Costa Larimar my Dominican travel partner walked in and got us great room for a price so low it made my jaw drop.

Beach:
Playa San Rafael

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Costa Larimar is NOT in Barahona proper......................I have stayed there, was good then........

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Thank you for reading every word of every one of my posts.
Despite your posts that often indicate otherwise...you seem to continue to enjoy my work.
Exactly what do you consider is "Barahona proper"?

Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 11.42.25.png

Anyway...thank your for your belated recommendation and review of the hotel.
Have a great day‼️

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We stayed at Casa Bonita, I know they had a fire a while back, not sure if that’s affected operations. Lovely grounds and spa, but I thought the cost was higher than it should be.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You don't want to come to Barahona and not go here. Bring a jug of water and watch it go uphill. Or your car.........Start at 1 minute in.

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Love the area but man, is that a long drive!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The Hotel Guaracuya in Barahona is near the port, on the main road, Av Enriquillo, traveling to the SW, roughly halfway to Pedernales from Santo Domingo, It is an inexpensive place to stay, nothing fancy. It is quiet. It was at one time Generalisimo Trujillo's many rest stops. It is owned by the government. It is modest to say the least but does have clean rooms with AC. Make sure AC is working. Its restaurant may be open or not. There are two decent restaurants across the avenida from the hotel. In recent months there have been talk of using part of it as a school for the hospitality industry. It has been a while since this poster has passed by there, things may have changed but worth a try.

Regards,

PJT

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It is only some months ago that I took the trip by car to Pedernales via Barahona and I definitely will not go there by road again . I agree with the others here that it is simply too long and dangerous .

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
It is only some months ago that I took the trip by car to Pedernales via Barahona and I definitely will not go there by road again . I agree with the others here that it is simply too long and dangerous .
Ideal for regional jet service both Barahona and Pedernales.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It is dangerous because of the bends and curves but mainly because of the speed of the cars and buses and the dangerous overtaking .
Anybody on this road at night belongs in a Sanitarium. Daytime is no bargain either............