Barcelo dumping garbage in Cortecito near schools

miozio

May 23, 2009
After 3 attempts to speak with a manager at the hotel I finally got through after threatening to go to the media. Mr. Simone Farci sub-director of Barcelo Dominican Beach has assured me he will rectify the situation. Let us see! He advised me if I had any future concerns to contact him directly 809-723-1937. I would say all of us concerned citizens should give him a shout this upcoming week! I don't see why any of these colossal hotel chains can't contribute much more then just clean up their own trash.
Have they cleaned the trash? If not, go viral, this will be a good lesson for them and other hotels. Take a video or a few pictures of the garbage pile and post them on Tripadvisor and other sites. Give us the links and we will spread them across the globe.

If you don't do this, they will find another empty spot.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
btw, it is absolutely ilegal to fire all that trash.
it is absolutely unacceptable when all condos here at el cortecito get surrounded with big smoke everywhere.
how the hell those "animals" dare to make a big fire with the trash just some meters away from our homes???? where we live!!! where there are people trying to enjoy holidays!!!
More than once I have felt the need to go downstair, catch the animal who made the fire and make some justice ...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Great job!! These "maintenance" workers for Barcelo probably thought they came up with a great solution to rid themselves and the hotel of this garbage. Environment! Please, that is the last of their minds. Environmental issues are hard to solve in the DR. You have to re-train people's habits and mindset. Throw garbage on the ground, throw it out of your car, throw it in the ocean and forget it. This what happens a lot in the DR. Littering is one of those things that people think does not have an impact on anyone else. Wrong.
It will take a couple generations before you see any real impact on garbage and litter on the streets and this is only if the DR Gov does a better job in making this a priority and educating the public to this fact.

LTSteve

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Great job!! These "maintenance" workers for Barcelo probably thought they came up with a great solution to rid themselves and the hotel of this garbage. Environment! Please, that is the last of their minds. Environmental issues are hard to solve in the DR. You have to re-train people's habits and mindset. Throw garbage on the ground, throw it out of your car, throw it in the ocean and forget it. This what happens a lot in the DR. Littering is one of those things that people think does not have an impact on anyone else. Wrong.
It will take a couple generations before you see any real impact on garbage and litter on the streets and this is only if the DR Gov does a better job in making this a priority and educating the public to this fact.

LTSteve

yes, Steve, but there is the matter of agency here. the hotel has a duty to be aware of what their employees are doing. if they commit them to the duty of rubbish disposal, it is their responsibility to know exactly where the dump site is.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Which hotel is the Barcelo Dominican beach?

it's the one right in the center of Cortecito. Between where el Pulpo Cojo was and the Playa Turquesa complex is. It's a little smaller and older than many of the others in the area, but when I stayed there a couple of years ago, it was O.K.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Thanks.................Is it the old H10?
The management is probably totally unaware of what this employee is doing......
It is true that it isn't always easy to get someone in management to stop, look, listen and act...
But don't give them an inch, they will want a mile.
Is the manager Dominican?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
do not worry, Captain. i assure you that there will be more than enough garbage to clean up on your next visit, should you be so inclined to doing a civic duty.

Haha... I'm not quite that much of an activist. If I was there, I would have helped out for a while; but to be honest, while I don't think it's a fool's errand, or even a waste of time, I do think it's a remedy for a symptom, not the disease. The trash will be back soon, if not already. Hopefully the effort might have some small lasting effect as an example ... but in reality, for any meaningful change to happen, it will take time, time, and more time.

On another note: while I'm not a fan of trash, the bigger picture of the whole "let's make it better" mentality does give me pause. The trash issue is probably not the best example of what I mean, but it's an indicator of an overriding trend I frequently see. No, I don't like trash, (and I don't litter). Yes, cleaning up trash is a good thing. BUT the well meaning intentions have a flip side to them. Mostly it's the whole "OUR way is better" mentality, (which can boil down to WE are better). Of course the gringos would never say they mean it like this ... and probably don't on the surface, but it's the basis of the thoughts and actions. Many people I've talked to have purchased their slice of "paradise" but are bothered, irritated or even horrified by any of the thousands of things which are indicative of a "third world" nation... trash being just one of them. SO, they want to "fix" it ... in short, make it like "back home". As for me??? I chose the D.R. for ALL of it's qualities, and did so with eyes wide open. I like things a "little rough around the edges". I might be a bit of a hypocrite, since I DO like 24 hr electricity, I DO like working plumbing, I DO like my nicely appointed modern apartment in the well maintained gated complex ... but I'm not out to make the D.R. another Miami Beach either.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Haha... I'm not quite that much of an activist. If I was there, I would have helped out for a while; but to be honest, while I don't think it's a fool's errand, or even a waste of time, I do think it's a remedy for a symptom, not the disease. The trash will be back soon, if not already. Hopefully the effort might have some small lasting effect as an example ... but in reality, for any meaningful change to happen, it will take time, time, and more time.

On another note: while I'm not a fan of trash, the bigger picture of the whole "let's make it better" mentality does give me pause. The trash issue is probably not the best example of what I mean, but it's an indicator of an overriding trend I frequently see. No, I don't like trash, (and I don't litter). Yes, cleaning up trash is a good thing. BUT the well meaning intentions have a flip side to them. Mostly it's the whole "OUR way is better" mentality, (which can boil down to WE are better). Of course the gringos would never say they mean it like this ... and probably don't on the surface, but it's the basis of the thoughts and actions. Many people I've talked to have purchased their slice of "paradise" but are bothered, irritated or even horrified by any of the thousands of things which are indicative of a "third world" nation... trash being just one of them. SO, they want to "fix" it ... in short, make it like "back home". As for me??? I chose the D.R. for ALL of it's qualities, and did so with eyes wide open. I like things a "little rough around the edges". I might be a bit of a hypocrite, since I DO like 24 hr electricity, I DO like working plumbing, I DO like my nicely appointed modern apartment in the well maintained gated complex ... but I'm not out to make the D.R. another Miami Beach either.

i do not believe that you can add a single sentence to what you just said that will make it any more profound.

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
UPDATE

Here is the response I got from writing Barcelo head office:

Thanks for contacting us regarding this important topic. We would like to communicate with you by phone in order to give you the proper explanation to this Matter. Any way we confirm you this procedure was stopped a few weeks ago.

Please be so kind to send us your number and we will be pleased to call you.

Best Regards,

Radhames Martinez Ruiz
Direccion General

Director
Ave. Alemania | A-B 108 | B?varo, Punta Cana | Rep?blica Dominicana
Tel. 809. 221. 0714 Ext. 1629 | Fax. 809.221.6991

I replied back with my phone number and explained I had taken photos of his staff doing this on Friday (still no phone call). I realize he probably has no idea his staff are still doing this but in the end he is responsible for his management staff and employees. What disappoints me more is that even after he thought they had stopped, and was aware of the situation, they have never made an attempt to clean it up.

I am now going to go to the media with this.
Cortecito is a small community with few streets. I dont think it will take that much effort to stop something like this from continuing. In time people will get the message. Yesterday I chased a truck out just by following him around. He knew he was doing something wrong so after circling around the blocks with me behind him he left the area. Im sure he dumped in someone else's backyard but its not in mine anymore and not beside my daughters school!!!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
to capngenn, I quote it only takes good men to do nothing for the evil to triumph... or some thing like that cos I m bit burracho at the moment....
I try to set an example for the young ones even if I dont have thesecret of life..... I dont know if I mbetter than them but I listen to my heart, and common sense( no one wants to live on or beside a pile of ****). if no one says or does anytthing....

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
we should strongly make a boicot to this hotel in many different ways, make them regret what they did ...
one great thing would be showing on the beach to their clients on their hamacas some pics of what this hotel is doing with the environment ...

Feb 7, 2007
Contact Bavaro News, as I have suggested. If you have pictures-in-action, great. Attach your communication with the hotel and explanation that it still continues.

Contact Mrs. Marcelle Flores, editor-in-chief, Bavaro News
email: "marcelle @ editorabavaro .com" and copy to "redaccion@ editorabavaro .com" (remove the spaces)

Address: Boulevard 1ro de Noviembre #303, Edif. Las Arenas, Local 4-A, PUNTACANA village.
Tel. 809-959-9021

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
drdirectional - I have a full local (East Coast) media contact list in Excel, so if you would like me to send it to you please PM me your e-mail address.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Going to the media is not a bad idea but why not exhaust attempts to deal directly with the hotel first?
Has the OP actually spoken with the Manager yet?
At least end the battle before going to war.

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
David 1 - Goliath 0
Today the hotel went to the empty lot and cleaned up the garbage. There is still piles of algae and some some piles of cement and broken tile. The Algae was sifted through to clean out the garbage within it. The manager of the hotel commented that the owner of the lot had given them permission to dispose of algae from the beach and Im sure he probably also gave permission for the cement and tile to use as fill for future construction. Although it still looks like crap it was a good first step and there is no more unsightly and smelly trash!
Thanks to everyone for your support. I hope we can maintain this and continue to keep trash off our streets. I think the next step would be to get the property owners of these empty lots to be more conscientious of what gets put on their lots but that might be too much too ask!

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Congratulations on a job well done.
It must feel good to have met with a certain level of success.
Did you finally get a chance to speak with the manager of the hotel? If so, that should help with any future follow-up.
Any chance you could be a bit more specific about which property was involved?
Is the school that you referred to, the public school across from the Palladium property on the way into el Cortecito?

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
The School is Arca de Noe, its about 3 blocks from Barcelo Dominican Beach, there is some sort of water treatment plant back there and the residence Arenas del Caribe. I spoke with the manager Simone last Friday. He has been very understanding and open to communication throughout. I also received emails from Barcelo head offices.
I don't blame the hotel as I understand they were unaware of the issue. Nonetheless I caught them red handed with pictures which made them an easy target to put pressure on to clean it up. I hope that since the incident was resolved amicably that a better relationship can unfold from this and the hotels can get more involved with helping the community in all aspects. Wishful thinking but positive energy and thinking usually is more productive then negativity and pessimism.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Drdirectional - I commend you for a job well done. Most people would look the other way.
Community involvement and education would make this place so much better.