Barra Payan

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
reminds me of the white castle days ~ early a.m. after partying all night, sloppy sandwiches that tasted good due to the alcohol in the system skewing the taste buds, in a dirty place full of the same kind of (party) people ;-)

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Barra Payan: Half a Century of Sandwiches | dr1guide

I read about Barra Payan in the DR1 guide. It sounds like just my kind of place - relaxed, delicious, and an attraction in itself. What is your favorite thing on the menu? I love cuban sandwiches. Are they called "cubans" there?What does "sapote" taste like?

Was just there Saturday night after a night out on La Venezuela. Nothing tastes better than a jugo de zapote from Barra Payan at 3 a.m. :)

An interesting thing I did not mention in that article was the US occupation of the DR in 1965: this is where he really got a catapult. During the war, soldiers stationed all around the city needed food. He was one of the only businesses open 24 hours and the soldiers would order hundreds of sandwiches. He said it was a crazy time but a very lucrative time.

He said his business kind of puttered along until 1965. The rest is history...

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
......after a night out on La Venezuela.

When I'm over that way, I like to hit up Claudio's on Costa Rica & Venezuela, a "movable feast". The colmado at the opposite corner sells some really good campo honey too.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Barra Payan: Half a Century of Sandwiches | dr1guide

I read about Barra Payan in the DR1 guide. It sounds like just my kind of place - relaxed, delicious, and an attraction in itself. What is your favorite thing on the menu? I love cuban sandwiches. Are they called "cubans" there?What does "sapote" taste like?
The completo is my favorite along with anyone of the juice drinks. You definetly need a car to get to Barra Payan. They have these trays that hook onto the door window in case you want to eat in your car.

Reactions: Lucille

AngelaO

Mar 6, 2010
Thanks so much for all the interesting replies! I'm definitely going to eat here. It sounds like quite an experience! :)

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
The completo is my favorite along with anyone of the juice drinks. You definetly need a car to get to Barra Payan. They have these trays that hook onto the door window in case you want to eat in your car.

bigbird: I am hungry..lol;)
you always talk about delicious food....
I try not to eat, but I can't..lol :eek:

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
It also appears that this happened at another comedor and perhaps not Barra Payan. Reason - Barra Payan is located on at calle 30 de Marzo, which means that in the view from the camera the cars should be ... going Right to Left and not Left to Right. Panoramio - Photo of Barra Pay?n, en La 30 de Marzo
And the counters are different, the ones in the video are rounded and look to be made of some type of think board or plank, almost Stone looking. But the ones in Barra Payan (at least in the few videos I've seen) are White with a Red Border and are not rounded but are built more like a square. And then in the video you see a Fan (top left), and a refrigerator (bottom left). In these videos they are not there- YouTube - Dos minutos en Barra Payan. This could only be if Barra Payan had some renovation, but the video of the atraco looks to be at a comedor less developed than than the other videos of Barra Payan, and it would make sense for a renovation to look worse than the original state of the building.
Either way, thats unfortunate...nowadays you can't even eat a sandwich and drink your batida in peace.