beggars? i do my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
bochinche said:
unbelievable........go away for a few days and this crappy thread comes to life again.

if you only saw one person in the jag ..... it was probably the driver getting my lunch.
if you saw a person relaxing in the back seat...yes, that was probably me in cotui.

why didn't you identify yourself by doing a quick 'gene kelly' impression....i would not have failed to recognise you as a fellow dr1'er..............either that or another scrounger.
You are quite the amusing character bochinche.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
Tell me what you think of this

Long long time ago before I knew what sankies were I felt very badly for the kids that shine shoes or sell things on the street. One American resident of Sosua ( not Escott) saw me giving money to a shoeshine boy and told me that I was doing him harm. He said by giving the boy money for nothing,I was teaching him that he could get money for his smile and he would grow up to perhaps be a gigalo.

So now I avoid shoeshine boys but I'll buy whatever kids they are selling including unripe limes, empanadas, peanut brittle ect.

Is it wrong to give money? I would never give money to a sankie, I'm too cheap ;) but it hurts me to see kids the age of my grandchildren on the street.

I was away for a few days so I just read the thread. I think the original post was sad. Now as far as Annas comment here, I take a different approach. I do not just "give" money to shoeshine boys, I ask them how much a shine costs ( usually 5 pesos) and then I let them shine my shoes. Then, after they are done, I give them twice as much as they had asked for and tell them that I am giving them more because they did such a good job. I think that teaches them the value of hard work and earning money. I feel that will inspire them to continue to work to make money. Just simply handing them money for the sake of it would have the opposite effect IMO.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.