Best Business in the DR

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
March 6, 2023

Brock Hochhalter (Area General Manager for Marriott International for the DR and Haiti) was in Tele Matutino 11. He says that Marriott has 14 hotels (Marriott and other brands) in the DR and 11 more in plans to be developed or currently developing. In Haiti it has 1 hotel and no new ones to develop in the short term.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Interview in Spanish of Anthony Bernal, president and co-founder of Body Shop gyms. This one was done at the Body Shop in Punta Cana, but the interview is of how it was created in the 1980's and how it became one of the most important gym chains in the DR.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
May 10, 2023
El Caribe Newspaper
P. 33

Like most Spaniards that move to the DR, she ended up making money in several businesses she established in Santo Domingo. But it wasn’t always like this. You see, she has something most people don’t: persistence.

Her first Dominican business was a restaurant in the NACO neighborhood and it was a failure. She then started another restaurant business, but this time in the Malecón area. This too was a failure. In fact, it was such a failure that it left her with no money. She became basically bankrupt. Things became so hard for her, that she began to make croquets and sell them in the street from the Colonial Zone to Piantini. She was so poor that she couldn’t afford buying or even renting a small food cart to sell her stuff. Then she began to sell to supermarkets and restaurants, but they paid 90 days later which meant by the time she would see the money she owed everything to new debt.

She got a brake in 2017 when she was asked to play the role of a waitress in a Dominican movie and later she got a job in an NGO. Instead of using the money she made there to return to the developed and rich Spain and never return to the DR, she used the good money she made there for starting another restaurant: Los Navarritos in the Colonial Zone by the Parque Rosadito. For the first time ever, this one was a success. She didn’t stop there. With the money she was making from her restaurant she established other restaurants: La Cocina de Cheska, L’Azotea, and Mortofino. All successes too. Morrofino in particular is one of the restaurant by Plaza de España with a view of the Alcázar de Colón in the Colonial Zone.

For her, Santo Domingo was her promised land, but it didn’t give her success without first hardships. The only thing that eventually made Santo Domingo a money making place for her washer persistence and never giving up on the historic Dominican capital. A remarkable story since most people from a developed country would probably give up on the first failure and leave the DR thinking there was no future in the country.

IMG_9723.jpeg

The question is, Santo Domingo has a great Canadian restaurant? What about a German one? A British one? Is SD truly not a diamond in the rough? A place not to make a living and start a successful business?

The DR is a place to give up on? Not for Cheska. She arrived to Dominican shores and like Hernán Cortés when the conquistador arrived to Mexico for the first time, burn all her boats. Returning to Spain was not an option under any circumstances. Santo Domingo was her destiny.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlaPlaya

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Most Spaniards that move to the DR end up making money?

I learned something new today.
Spaniards are the only nationality that have an expedited process for gaining Dominican citizenship. The only people that have it easier than Spaniards are the sons/daughters of Dominicans born abroad. I bet you didn't know that either.

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
Oh yes Los Navarritos, just beside of my favotit colmado in the ZC. We often eat there, simple but tasty spanish tapas, and before Covid really cheap, a bottle of good spanish wine for only 600 Pesos.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Spaniards are the only nationality that have an expedited process for gaining Dominican citizenship. The only people that have it easier than Spaniards are the sons/daughters of Dominicans born abroad. I bet you didn't know that either.
The Spanish obviously knows the language and culturally they have some things in common with Dominicans. But in business from what I have heard and seen the most successful are Americans.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
You have to FAIL a few times , and then get up and dust yourself off, and try again .
And then YES , eventually you will succeed ..
This is the exact path she also followed .. Never give up ..

Reactions: JD Jones

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I knew about the latter . I have a step son born in the US currently getting his DR passport.

Why getting quick citizenship for Spaniards would make them all successful in businesses here is what escapes me.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
From my experience, it is a hotel on a nice beach in a tourist area. I have seen some restaurants succeed, but it is a difficult job with long hours it seems. I have seen some apartment rentals do well, but again it would have to be in a nice complex where tourists would stay and not local Dominican people because they cannot afford the rent a tourist pays. I am not sure what else is out there for someone coming here. Anyways, I am always open to ideas and sharing. I know most people here will be very negative about investing or starting a business at all. Anyways, let the fireworks begin. What business do you think may be successful here?

I was thinking opening an Andrew Tate training facility with bikini-clad lolitas serving pina coladas all day

• Haha
Reactions: Facepalm Supreme

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I knew about the latter . I have a step son born in the US currently getting his DR passport.

Why getting quick citizenship for Spaniards would make them all successful in businesses here is what escapes me.
There is a reason why periodically the King of Spain and the President of Spain visits the DR. The last time the king was in the DR, which was a few weeks ago, he devoted some words towards Spanish businessmen established in the DR.

Have yet to see an official visit from the president of the USA to the DR since ever. I guess we can see how valuable the American expats in the DR are to the USA.

Result of Spanish business people in the DR? Certain privileges that other foreigners, including American ones, don't have such as expediting their citizenship request. Other signs are the presence of two Spanish social clubs with the one in SD in particular receiving much attendance from Spanish businessmen and their family. Any such places in the DR for Americans? *Crickets*

Jan 9, 2004
There is a reason why periodically the King of Spain and the President of Spain visits the DR. The last time the king was in the DR, which was a few weeks ago, he devoted some words towards Spanish businessmen established in the DR.
And the reason is................to "devote some words toward Spanish businessmen.............."?
Have yet to see an official visit from the president of the USA to the DR since ever. I guess we can see how valuable the American expats in the DR are to the USA.

So, if a US President came to the DR, he/she would be showing how valuable the American expats are?
Result of Spanish business people in the DR? Certain privileges that other foreigners, including American ones, don't have such as expediting their citizenship request. Other signs are the presence of two Spanish social clubs with the one in SD in particular receiving much attendance from Spanish businessmen and their family. Any such places in the DR for Americans? *Crickets*

Now there is a compelling reason for a King or Head of State to visit the DR.......................to continue "expedited citizenship request."

And so with this "privilege," and relating it to "business," how has that helped Spain or Spanish businessmen as to business investments in the DR?

Perhaps you recall AMCHAMDR.

Statistically, Spain is not even in the top three of foreign direct investment in the DR. That "privilege" belongs to the country with 25% of the worlds gdp:)...........and by a wide margin.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2