Best cake shop in Santo Domingo

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Change of address

The cake shop in the OP, La Cuchara de Madera, has moved to new premises, on Calle Jose Amado Soler, between Aves. Lincoln and Churchill. This is in Piantini, three or four blocks north of Ave. Gustavo Mej?a Ricart.

One of the problems with the original site was that it was quite small and it had very limited parking space. This new location looks like a welcome improvement for Cuchara de Madera fans.

rubia2

May 19, 2007
Cuchara de Madera has outstanding cheescake, and very good pecan pie, apple-crumb pie, lemon bars, and German chocolate cake. (The german chocolate cake you need to order at least the day before; it isn't a stock item in the case). Their muffins have always been dry. They also have some middle eastern desserts (like baklava) that are better than at that new Lebanese place on Mejia Ricart. The chocolate nutella cake is over-rated, IMHO.

At Bondelic, the white cake with meringue frosting and either crema pastelera or dulce de leche filling is absolutely yummy.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Cuchara de Madera has outstanding cheescake, and very good pecan pie, apple-crumb pie, lemon bars, and German chocolate cake. (The german chocolate cake you need to order at least the day before; it isn't a stock item in the case). Their muffins have always been dry. They also have some middle eastern desserts (like baklava) that are better than at that new Lebanese place on Mejia Ricart. The chocolate nutella cake is over-rated, IMHO.

At Bondelic, the white cake with meringue frosting and either crema pastelera or dulce de leche filling is absolutely yummy.

Is the menu at Cuchara de Madera varied? Meaning, do they have lots of different cakes?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Is the menu at Cuchara de Madera varied? Meaning, do they have lots of different cakes?
It's a pretty wide variety on offer there. Four or five types of cheesecake, brownies, pecan slices, lemon slices, chocolate cakes, tartlets, cupcakes and more. They also have a savoury 'picadera' range consisting of the usual Dominican buffet fare like pastelitos, quipes, small sandwiches, mini-pizza, etc.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
OMIGOD!
have they moved? really? how come? how far from metro? will i be able to get there, buy cake and make a fool of myself by carrying short of 1000 pesos woth of cake all the way to POP?
omigod! why? and now i discovered this thread i take it upon myself to try ALL those places.
i guess no point in asking about best cake shops in POP - there isn't any.
sorry, bizcocho de cereva from la mariposa rocks my boat. pretty pricy at 62 pesos for a small piece, i could probably have 4 of them in one go!
well, minovio promised to get me a whole one if i drag my arse through all the doctors and tests. should i rather contemplate reward from la curacha de madera?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Relax, it's about a 5 minute drive from the former premises - but a slightly longer walk from the Metro Bus station.

sdq79

May 28, 2007
Another of my favorites is the shop off Jose Amado Soler (in Seralles area near the Nacional supermarket of Lope de Vega) that makes delicious coconut pies and Dominican sweets... can't think of the name, but it will come to me. Owned by the Columna family.

This place is called DE LA CASA PASTELERIA. it is a bit pricy but the desserts and cakes are OUTSTANDING. they have this one cake, dont know what they call it but its something like 7 layer mousse cake. I love it cuz its not tooo sweet like most chocolate cakes usually are...where u can only have a small piece. they also have cake fillings like dulce de leche, for those who want to venture in making ur own cake at home....*_^

domicanita

Mar 7, 2007
When I was a little girl we used to buy great cakes at RESPOTERIA EL INDIO. Does that place still exits?

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
Nitin??

When I was a little girl we used to buy great cakes at RESPOTERIA EL INDIO. Does that place still exits?

When I used to live in Santo Domingo my mother used to get her cakes from Reposteria Nitin. The cakes were always moist and yumi. What ever happened to it; nobody is talking about it!!

Perlanegra

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i just came back from a trip to SD and visited LA CUCHARA DE MADERA just to find they raised prices, again! :tired: i know it's a capital but 160 pesos for a slice of cheesecake is a lot.
reassuringly the waitresses were as rude and uncooperative as usual, asked what cheesecakes do they have they'd pass the question along to the one who is closest to the kitchen and who will deliver mumbled answer " de fresa.... y otros...". very informative.
maybe those gals apply for a job thinking they'd be able to take home left over cakes and they find out that at the end of the day he orders to have buckets of acid emptied on unsold goods while he strokes his white persian cat in diamond studded collar with gloved artificial hand shrieking with laughter.
yes, that would make me bitter too...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
dv8, did you visit the new branch? It looks great but on my last visit the cakes did not taste as fresh as they should. Considering the prices they charge, it was a bit of a disappointment.

Between you and me, a new place is opening soon in the Bella Vista area much nearer to where I live, and I have high hopes for it. Watch this space!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we only went to the old branch, minovio does not know SD all that well.
but when i come back again for residency i will give you a call and we go to the new place.
scientific purposes only, no pleasure, of course...
:)

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
we only went to the old branch, minovio does not know SD all that well.
but when i come back again for residency i will give you a call and we go to the new place.
scientific purposes only, no pleasure, of course...
:)

Cipko gdzie ty kurwa jestesz !!!

lambler

Jan 14, 2010
Need contact info for Cuchara de Madera

Hi -- This is my first post. I'm looking for a bakery or chocolatier in Santo Domingo who can deliver gifts to several clients in the city. Can someone send contact info for Cuchara de Madera? And do they speak English?

Thanks!

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Update on Cake Shops

I found this thread but all the information is at least 3 years old. I want to pick up a chocolate cake for a birthday party when I am in the capital in October. Nothing too fancy or expensive. I will be staying in Naco on Tiredantes. Would anyone have a suggestion for a cake shop or bakery near there? Thanks in advance for any help you can lend.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I found this thread but all the information is at least 3 years old. I want to pick up a chocolate cake for a birthday party when I am in the capital in October. Nothing too fancy or expensive. I will be staying in Naco on Tiredantes. Would anyone have a suggestion for a cake shop or bakery near there? Thanks in advance for any help you can lend.

Panderia Franca on Lincoln.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
for chocolate cakes my favorite is the pasteleria in Texaco gas station in front of Cuesta Hermosa ll
their hershey chocolate cake is to die for.

mel2403

Jun 27, 2012
Can someone please tell me which shop makes personalised cakes in Santo Domingo, please?