best documents for 2-3 month annual visit

I doubt Malko's wife has anything to worry about, no women in the campo seem to have licenses. Gringos on the other hand that could be a problem.

Had the exact thing happen that WW said, I was lucky another foot and the guy would have landed in a ditch and the outcome would not be good for either of us!!

Passing someone on the left who has their signal on, that is some smart driving....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Our niece was at a traffic light in SD, when the light changed to green she started forward, was in the middle of the intersection when a moto slammed into the side of her car [going through their red light]. Broken leg. Wanted to be supported the rest of his life. He had no insurance, hers paid him 1,000,000 pesos and fixed her car. I just don't understand how the law works FOR the person doing the wrong thing. No gringos involved.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
you can get an international drivers licence in canada that is valid in the Dr

Before you buy that coverage, we should point out that only Sto Domingo and Santiago offer that service

No availability outside those major centers.............last I heard

I get this and it it good for 1 year

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

great news.
the intl licenses never been valid before, as they are basically nothing else than the translation of your original license into different languages to be readable for foreign language speaking authorities. it was always only valid together with your original license and only as long as your original license been valid(not expired or taken for drunk driving or such). in countries which do not accept your home license over a certain time frame, the same the Intl Translation card been not valid at the moment the original looses it's powers.
have a link where that Canadian/Intl license is described as such?

Mike

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I got an Int'l License once - for Italy

Not worth the paper its written on.... AAA for $15

Hopefully, the Cdn one is better......... not CAA, I hope

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I got an Int'l License once - for Italy

Not worth the paper its written on.... AAA for $15

Hopefully, the Cdn one is better......... not CAA, I hope

and basically your Intl license was just a "legalized translation" for your english language license to be used in a country where other languages(Italian) are spoken. and it would not have been valid alone, only as long as your original license also stays valid. i know such Intl licenses from Europe, we always used them, and the holder was obliged to carry it TOGETHER with the original national license.
since the EU licenses are issued in 6 different languages on the same license card, no Intl "License"/translation is necessary, as other nationalities can read it without a translated copy.
a Intl License would not allow you to drive in a country which would not accept your local/national drivers license from your country, and it does not change the time frames of allowing to drive in a foreign country. the 90 days rules and obligation to have a legal immigrations status etc etc stay all the same.

Mike

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I 'upped' my insurance today Mike..... gracias again

Every once in a while, really good info turns up here on DR1..... for me that bail bond is a killer.

It has also convinced me to use a driver for my wife.
Her Spanish is weak, her personal skills with 'uniforms' are nonexistent .... she'd be in the slammer in 10 minutes.

Hmmmm, maybe I'll rethink this..... hahaha

We need to renew licenses this summer...POP for that

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

International drivers licenses* are not valid in DR....tried that route from UK through motoring organization.....waste of money as it is not recognized here.

* by that I mean the ones issued by motoring organizations in your home country for driving in foreign countries and not national driving licenses

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I 'upped' my insurance today Mike..... gracias again

Every once in a while, really good info turns up here on DR1..... for me that bail bond is a killer.

It has also convinced me to use a driver for my wife.
Her Spanish is weak, her personal skills with 'uniforms' are nonexistent .... she'd be in the slammer in 10 minutes.

Hmmmm, maybe I'll rethink this..... hahaha

We need to renew licenses this summer...POP for that

here we got lucky to not need to ride far anymore for renewing the license. the Amet opened a new Office in Higuey, so that 40 minutes ride is the farest to go. with the growing number of licenses "handed out" the number of local offices grows.

Mike

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
My point was, my wife has no DL, BUT an insurance with full coverage ( and it has been put to the test ).......only in the dr.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
malko.... nobody would ever believe that story.

An unlicensed, insured driver....... exactly the opposite to the rest of the world

What a story !!

Mike,
I am watching for the 'roving' license office... the mobile renewal unit that travels from town to town.
They just finished LT and my friend in Cabrera renewed in Rio san Juan.

I'll try to beat your 40 minutes...... POP is 2 hrs for me.

I need to find the mobile unit's schedule.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
malko.... nobody would ever believe that story.

An unlicensed, insured driver....... exactly the opposite to the rest of the world

What a story !!

Mike,
I am watching for the 'roving' license office... the mobile renewal unit that travels from town to town.
They just finished LT and my friend in Cabrera renewed in Rio san Juan.

I'll try to beat your 40 minutes...... POP is 2 hrs for me.

I need to find the mobile unit's schedule.

my own last renewal also been still the Movile Office, and in Higuey, so the 40 minutes ride from Cabeza de Toro stay the same, lol. just now it is a steady office, open every day, so no long line ups every few months for a week. as i am in higuey anyways several times per month, it doesn't bother to go there to do such stuff, once every 4 years anyways.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
My point was, my wife has no DL, BUT an insurance with full coverage ( and it has been put to the test ).......only in the dr.

don't rave about it on a public bord, always too many jealous readers around.
because if the insurance company decides to go by their average fineprint, then they would not need to pay shyt.
keep it low key and continue to be nicely covered.
yes, such sidedoor is only possible in the DR, lol.

Mike

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Liar.
you don't have such card.
post a photo here.

Mike

Mike, almost every US citizen has a Social Security (SSA) card. It was supposed to be an sort of insurance card to provide pensions for those who pay into the system long enough. It is more or less used now like a c?dula is used in the DR.

I know you are probably thinking that chic was referring to Seguros Sociales, but he was talking about the US program, I am sure.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Mike, almost every US citizen has a Social Security (SSA) card. It was supposed to be an sort of insurance card to provide pensions for those who pay into the system long enough. It is more or less used now like a c?dula is used in the DR.

I know you are probably thinking that chic was referring to Seguros Sociales, but he was talking about the US program, I am sure.

thanks LaProfe, i knew that.
but i still don't believe chic is for real, or american, lol

Mike