Best Dominican Music

momita

May 17, 2006
love Dominican Music

Here in England my Housemates hate me for that.I start my day with Bachata and finishing with Marenque. "Princessa" IS MY BEST SONG EVER.

Maybe they have got sankies,coruption,moskitos etc etc...

But..... Dominican Republic Thank you for the music

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
momita said:
Here in England my Housemates hate me for that.I start my day with Bachata and finishing with Marenque. "Princessa" IS MY BEST SONG EVER.

Maybe they have got sankies,coruption,moskitos etc etc...

But..... Dominican Republic Thank you for the music

have you heard "Si tu me dejas" ??? or "Si tu te alejas" ?? not sure of the titlte by Raulin Rodriguez awesome

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
M.a.r.-

If you are referring to a song from Raulin's latest album that song you referenced is 'Se me salen las l?grimas'. Truly awesome.

While I'm in this thread my take on Dominican music is as follows:

1/ Merengue -the older the better. There are many trademark artists.
2/ Bachata- the colossal artists of the genre only. Those who have set the stage and endured the test of time.

-LDG.

momita

May 17, 2006
Eva Maria

M.A.R. said:
have you heard "Si tu me dejas" ??? or "Si tu te alejas" ?? not sure of the titlte by Raulin Rodriguez awesome

No ,but I have heard "Te Pierdo y te Pienso",
What about Zacarias Ferreira?Has anybody love his"Eva Maria" as much as I love:cheeky: :cheeky:

How much I wish I was THERE:eek: :eek:gre: :squareeye
But just few months more .:bunny: :bunny:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Lesley D said:
If you are referring to a song from Raulin's latest album that song you referenced is 'Se me salen las l?grimas'. Truly awesome.

While I'm in this thread my take on Dominican music is as follows:

1/ Merengue -the older the better. There are many trademark artists.
2/ Bachata- the colossal artists of the genre only. Those who have set the stage and endured the test of time.

-LDG.

No it is "Si no te tengo" ...que se me venga el mundo encima, ......etc.

Well how about Tatico Henriquez, very good Perico Ripiao, many other groups are singing his songs lately. He died in 1976 in a car accident.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
M.a.r.-

Thanks- the title you listed is also part of one of the verses in Se me salen las lágrimas so I thought it was that song.

Have you listened to the new album yet? You would enjoy it but I could see you really enjoy Si no te tengo that was from 2004. Anyway that was the start of Raulin's change in bachata meaning his first album with the guidance of Davicito Paredes which was a success then followed by Piel sin alma and now A dónde iré sin ti .

I don't follow Perico Ripiao. Just the odd song here and there.

-LDG.

momita

May 17, 2006
Female Singers

Maybe that question is the silly one.
But I am still learning about Dominican Music .I've never heard any Bachata Female Singers.Is this "zone" just for men?Any recomendations?

Momita:glasses:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Momita-

We have had discussions about this recently. Bachateras are not popular for many reasons. Currently most bachateras are back up vocalists although there are three that I believe are great but not well marketed.

My recommendations: Vanessa Gil, Valeria and La Vickiana

See my most recent comments here: Bachateras-comentario escrito por LDG, comentario #2-LDG

-LDG

momita said:
Maybe that question is the silly one.
But I am still learning about Dominican Music .I've never heard any Bachata Female Singers.Is this "zone" just for men?Any recomendations?

Momita:glasses:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Perhaps the most popular bachatera is neither a backup singer or a soloist, but half of a highly successful duo. Alexandra, along with her partner Monchy, has sold a lot of records and won a lot of awards. I don't know who has the creative (writing) chops in this collaberation, but IMHO she carries him vocally.

momita

May 17, 2006
sweetdbt said:
Perhaps the most popular bachatera is neither a backup singer or a soloist, but half of a highly successful duo. Alexandra, along with her partner Monchy, has sold a lot of records and won a lot of awards. I don't know who has the creative (writing) chops in this collaberation, but IMHO she carries him vocally.

Ooo yes Monchy & Alexandra.Aparently I have heard their one song.I'm not sure about the title "Una Novela..." or something like that.Yes I like that .

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Agree-

I mentioned Monchy & Alexandra in my link when we had the discussion about bachateras two months ago. I agree they are young, dynamic and the bachatas they sing are very melodic etc.

The only aspect is the critics are bit tough on them because many of their bachatas are remakes of old vallenatos which is common but their first album was mostly vallenatos remakes which shows lack of creativity. Their most recent album Hasta el fin (2004- they may have another release by now) shows they have talent. It has many unique melodic rhythms. The hit song is "Perdidos"... nosotros estamos perdidos en un barco sin destino, navegando lo prohibido...beautiful balada/bachata.

The other bachateras I mentioned are great too. Especially Vanessa Gil. She has a wonderful voice.

-LDG.

sweetdbt said:

amanacer

Dec 29, 2005
they used o have a huge hit few years ago: hoja en blanco, and then dos locos... Momita you can buy their records even in the uk.
There is one old woman who sings bachata don't remember her name...she was featured in the movie about bachata- los tigueres de la bachata

marcos1007

Jul 7, 2006
I like merengue ripiao which originated in the "Cibao" region of the Dominican Republic. There are many good modern groups today that play this type of merengue. But there is one group in particular from the 50's , "El Trio Reynoso", which earns my vote for the top exponent of the perico ripiao ("merengue cibaeño"). In my opinion, anybody listening to a "Trio Reynoso" will know the good heart and true identity of the Dominican people.

dawnuk

Aug 17, 2006
Hi, my husband and I recently came back from honeymoon in the DR. We stayed at Macao, Uvero Alto and had a great time!

I really loved the music that the resort would play day in and day out, many of the staff would merrily sing along to the music. The same songs were playing at Punta Cana airport on our way home.

Obviously I have absolutely no idea of what these songs are called or who they're by, but I wondered if anyone could name me some popular DR songs as I assume similar popular DR music would be played in many of the resorts.

Cheers :cheeky:

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
I love Merenge and Bachata equally, and it depends on the mood.

Bachata lyrics take me to another place...sometimes when I'm down I'll listen to one and think "ok maybe my life isn't so bad". Seriously, I love Bachata.

Merengue with its double-entendre and funny lyrics reminds me of Soca and Calypso, fun, fun music. It is easy to dance to and work to. Merenge helps me get the housework done, LOL

Neil de CT

Jul 3, 2005
CDs of Best & Most Popular Music in the DR

Neil de CT,

Please excuse my editing your post but this is the "Best in the DR' forum and as such the purpose of this thread is for people to express their opinion concerning the "Best" here so that other people can get an idea as to the best, (place to go), (place to eat), (things to see) etc.

It was designed as a quick reference point for those that are looking for the "Best" _______ in the DR.

I would suggest that you post your question in the "Living" forum or the "General" forum as a new thread.

Thank you.

Rick

Last edited by a moderator: