Best English Fish & Chips!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
It doesn't normally open in the evenings now. However, there are a group of us going tonight so they are opening specially. Will give you a report on Monday, haven't eaten there before but they seem like a really nice family!

Would liked to have come for the evening, ah well.............

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Last night 10 of us hit the City of York. FANTASTIC! Fish, real chips, mushy peas, curry sauce (opt) bread and butter!
Great welcome, great food, great service, great value and, all in all, a great night!

We'll definately be doing it again!
HIGHLY RECOMMENDABLE!

Pandaris

May 20, 2008
Are all you people crazy? I'm reading these Brit posts " where are the best fisnnchips" Wake up, the best fisnnchips are at that place you remember from so many years ago. I've been gone for forty five years, my chippee is still there in England and when I return I cannot get enough of them. I'd love to find an equal, simply put, you can't (no matter how times you try!)

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Are all you people crazy? I'm reading these Brit posts " where are the best fisnnchips" Wake up, the best fisnnchips are at that place you remember from so many years ago. I've been gone for forty five years, my chippee is still there in England and when I return I cannot get enough of them. I'd love to find an equal, simply put, you can't (no matter how times you try!)

It's a bit far to go on a friday night though! ;)

D

dieselguy

is it difficult ? fish and chips??? fried fish and 'french' fried potatoes. secret formula?
England is not well known for high cuisine. I always thought that this is a easy thing to make. Like something your mother made for you, passed the secret formula to you or your sister.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
is it difficult ? fish and chips??? fried fish and 'french' fried potatoes. secret formula?
England is not well known for high cuisine. I always thought that this is a easy thing to make. Like something your mother made for you, passed the secret formula to you or your sister.

I understand that the 'favourite food' in the UK now is Indian curries but, separate us Brits from our fish 'n chips, roast beef with yorkshire puds or roast lamb and mint sauce, and we are bound to 'crave' it!!!! :laugh::bunny:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
England is not well known for high cuisine.

Nonsense!

Example - My Italian friend that I brought over to England had this misguided idea until I took him to my mother's house where he learned about English cuisine.
His knowledge is now more complete.
He realises that it was a truism - that was not true.
Good English cuisine is good cuisine.

However, I sometimes still crave traditional English foods like Pizza, Curry and a good Chinese.:confused:

Aug 19, 2004
is it difficult ? - it can be very easy to get it wrong.

fried fish and 'french' fried potatoes. secret formula? - yes the batter varies + you need fresh haddock or cod and definitely not 'french' fired potatoes.
"England is not well known for high cuisine." - who says so except the ignorant.

D

dieselguy

they had 'fish and chips' on t.v. the other night. of course it was not what your mom made. I did not view. food channel. This is something we want to make...
Still trying to find out about the english -french connection.
I am asking people about the Cuisine. No one said the food was bad. Or that you couldnt go to a fancy rest, Just that the food was not on the top ten list.
Maybe there is a critics list i missed.

Aug 19, 2004
IMO dieselguy - fish and chips are not the sort of thing most people in England would cook at home as you need a good deep fat frier + the chips need to be thick not French fries style and the best fish would be fresh cod or haddock. Hence the large number of fish and chip shops in the UK. You can buy the items frozen but the end product is not the same. There are various web sites which give you a good oveview of British food:
Great British Cookbook

You should also investigate Scottish cuisine which would complement fish and chips with the deep fried mars bar!

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
there are Brits in cabarete?? whre do they hang out? I will be there in Jan and would love to find a place where I could have a nice beer , some football, and fish and chips as in previous post- please let me know if it's worth the trip to cabarete( never been there) or is ther something closer to Boca Chica where I will staying thanks Mike