Best Japanese restaurant

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Depends

Dolores said:
Which is the best -- AKA or Samurai?

AKA serves only sushi& sashimi types of food and are head-and-sholder above Samurai in this particular regard.

Samurai is a "comprehensive" Japanese restaurant that serves a much wider range of Japanese food, from Bento boxes, tempura, miso, yakisoba, udon...etc to suhshi& sashimi.

It all depends on your person taste. Think of AKA as a "boutique bistro" and Samurai as a "ristorante" and there you have it !

As an avid raw-fish fan, AKA has my pick.

Last edited:

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Despair not !

Dolores said:
I have three teenage boys (17, 15 and 13). They are all in top shape (capoiera practioners) and slim but it is impressive how they could pack in all the sushis and sashimis. Samurai is now off limits for the boys. I have not yet told them.

Good news for your 3 boys (andy anybody with big appetite !):
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39654&highlight=sashimi

Note that prices have risen to (I believe) RD$350 + tax. Haven't been there for a while so cannot attest to its current quality/standard.

Bon Appetite !

(Would be fun to challenge each of your boys on sushi eating contest ! :) )

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Formosano2000 said:
AKA serves only sushi& sashimi types of food and are head-and-sholder above Samurai in this particular regard.

Samurai is a "comprehensive" Japanese restaurant that serves a much wider range of Japanese food, from Bento boxes, tempura, miso, yakisoba, udon...etc to suhshi& sashimi.

As it dependsd on your person taste. Think of AKA as a "boutique bistro" and Samurai as a "ristorante" and there you have it !

As an avid raw-fish fan, AKA has my pick.

Did you know that the owner of AKA is not Japanese at all, but a Peruvian who used to work initially for Samurai? By the way, their ceviche is top notch at RD$180, a real bargain. However, you're not allowed to buy your beer at "Drinks To Go" and then sit down at their table, for the house will charge you an uncorking fee, which I pay dutifully since they don't carry my favorite Bohemia beer.

amandalivoti

Jan 20, 2006
where is Aka? i dont know where plaza new orleans is.
i agree with dolores- i am an old time customer of samurai- and i love the new locales- but i cant afford it anymore!!
please tell me where aka is! i need my sushi fix!

franco

Nov 5, 2003
amandalivoti said:
where is Aka? i dont know where plaza new orleans is.
i agree with dolores- i am an old time customer of samurai- and i love the new locales- but i cant afford it anymore!!
please tell me where aka is! i need my sushi fix!

Same plaza with "Drinks 2 Go" on Av W Churchill.

Michael&Matt

Feb 8, 2006
Thank you so much, this message board has been so helpful! It's been several years since I've been in the DR and it's Matt's first time - we are loving the people, the scenery and the InterContinental. We travel for business frequently, this is a pleasure trip, we're based in NYC and Fort Lauderdale and wanted to get away for a week of R&R.

Around the world we look for Tappan Yaki (the hot grill like Benihana), and thanks to Delores and some of the posters here, we found the new location of SAMURAI and were so happy to find that they had Tappan Yaki! They called it Hibachi or something, but it was outstanding! The restaurant was immaculate, the service outstanding and we loved the Gyoza and the Spicy Shrimp Tempura Roll. We had 1 1/2 lobster (right from the aquarium) and the Shrimp as Tappan Yaki, and it was delicious.

It's definitely up there with some of our favorites in the world - in Tokyo, this meal would have been $1000 per person at the great Tappan Yaki restaurant at the top of the Westin Hotel - here the total was around $100 per person with a 25% tip and 3 bottles of Sho Chiku Bai Cold Sake (which we were happy to see they had, cold sake is much higher quality).

So, for us, 5 Stars for SAMURAI! Be sure to know the new address (listed in this thread), they said there's no sign at the old location.

Thanks for the other messages too - PorterHouse sounds great, and our restaurant in the InterContinental had excellent food as well. We're enjoying it so much we're staying another week to celebrate Valentine's Day here!

Have a great day, Michael

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
In Punta Cana, I went to a Japanese restaurant called Hokkaido. It was located inside an all-inclusive resort called Melia Caribe Tropical.

You have to wait for about 30 minutes to be seated. Long pants and long sleeves are required.

The food is pretty food and entertaining with a Teppanyaki cooking table and chef.