Best Reliable Generator

IzSublime

Oct 2, 2019
You can choose the standby generator which I am using and it works really well. Power back up is provided for the longest of hours even during extreme emergencies.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You can choose the standby generator which I am using and it works really well. Power back up is provided for the longest of hours even during extreme emergencies.

Maybe let us know which one you're using?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Originally Posted by IzSublime

Maybe let us know which one you're using?

I second that. I don't have one and would like to get one if it's not too expensive.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Originally Posted by IzSublime

I second that. I don't have one and would like to get one if it's not too expensive.

send me a pm have a manual start 4500 kw for sale. not a silent one! runs on gas or LPG. Santo Domingo

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
IMO, the issue Shalena will be dealing with is the probability of the genset going missing from a rarely-used place in the campo.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I have always been a fan of diesel generators.

I had a Denyo super silent at one time that was 4K used. It had a Izuzu 3 cylinder diesel engine and was so quiet you could sit next to it and have a conversation with another person without raising my voice. I'd guess somewhere in the 45-50 db range.

I had it with an automatic transfer switch and we'd barely notice when the lights went out. Fuel consumption was a little over a gallon an hour.

I no longer need one that large, so I have been looking at the Honda eu3000IS. Cost new is about us3K here and they are super silent as well.

The only issue is that it is 110V so I can't run the water heater or A/C.

The only time I would use it is during an extended power outage, and then it would be to charge inverter batteries and run the Fridge at the same time.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I know this is a resurrected thread, but I have one those previously mentioned 8kw Generac propane gennys. It's a pig to start. So I've invented a petrol injection system to aid starting.

I have a small glass jar filled with petrol and a manual plunger style of primer to squirt neat petrol into the intake. Seems to work well.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I know this is a resurrected thread, but I have one those previously mentioned 8kw Generac propane gennys. It's a pig to start. So I've invented a petrol injection system to aid starting.

I have a small glass jar filled with petrol and a manual plunger style of primer to squirt neat petrol into the intake. Seems to work well.

A neighbor of mine bought one. It had it's own little "Casita" for protection from the elements.

Ssrvice tech visits were almost a weekly occurrence - They couldn't get it to operate properly more than a few times.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Honda EB11000

Another workhorse, and much cheaper than the eu3000IS. It will run an A/C too.

If you're looking for cheap but not so quiet, it's a great genset.

If you want something quiet, it's gonna cost a lot more.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
never heard a happy owner of a propane generator....
too many problems
I had an 11kw propane generator in FL and never had a problem.

It was actually an addition that doubled the investment and enabled a quick sale when I put the house on the market.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
We have a Honda generator, and our electrician set up a switch that we can pull so that it powers the whole house. Otherwise we can plug in just what we want. We also roll it into our locked garage when not needed. We also have an 8 kw Generac that runs on propane, but it's the size of a big chest freezer and not good if you or someone else isn't there all the time. Also can be set up for automatic use.

I had mentioned before that we had 2 x 8kw Generac generators... both failed to preform as expected ...Anyone needs parts I got one left for sale....but I shall replace it with a large Honda generator. I used these generators in the NOrThern parts of Canada and they never let us down.
I am developing a co-gen project using a generator/Solar and the grid.

ese tipo

Apr 12, 2019
I have used both honda and Yamaha, and I personally prefer Yamaha.To me what gives it the edge ia the fact that it has a fuel shutoff, which you simply turn a knob and the gen will drain the fuel from the carb keeping it from "gumming up" caused by ethanol mixed fuels that are available today, and a 3 year warranty.Now my opinion is unless you're running a Power hungry water heater, you really wouldn't need much more than 2000 watts which both Honda and Yamaha make,they'll even run a sump pump. while they're not carry on luggage lite they are portable weighing in roughly 40lbs.They are pricey though roughly $1000 us but you won't find too many that are as quiet, and with the economy mode feature on both they automatically boost up rpm's as needed.whisper quiet if you're not drawing heavy power, but not obnoxious while under full load.Now as to whether gas or propane there are kits that are sold online which will allow you to use both fuels (actually tri fuel third being natural gas ) it takes a little tinkering but not impossible by no means, and their is one specific brand which won't void your warranty.Sorry I didn't post any links but I'm a little gun-shy as I once did so only to have them removed by mods.But all this info is out there on YouTube and amazon.Almost forgot these babies are also pure sine wave. aka clean power, which is what we all should be looking for anyway keeps our electronics happy and our motors from humming and our LED bulbs from flickering.Now for those of you that are looking to power your whole house please make sure that it isolates your side from utility side, god forbid crews are working in your area under the assumption there is no power and they come across a live line coming from your set up.Dios mio!!!

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Now for those of you that are looking to power your whole house please make sure that it isolates your side from utility side, god forbid crews are working in your area under the assumption there is no power and they come across a live line coming from your set up.Dios mio!!!
That's what transfer switches are for,anyone running a generator wired to their house and not using a transfer switch could kill someone.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I had mentioned before that we had 2 x 8kw Generac generators... both failed to preform as expected ...Anyone needs parts I got one left for sale....but I shall replace it with a large Honda generator. I used these generators in the NOrThern parts of Canada and they never let us down.
I am developing a co-gen project using a generator/Solar and the grid.

I know of two people in my development that had Generac as well. They also failed quickly. Highly unrecommended to get a Generac.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Generac and many of other similar propane/Nat gas products are not engineered for this climate. They are extremely susceptible to corrosion from salt air, constant high humidity, dirty gas and insect infestation.

To make a go of it here, the unit would need to be enclosed in a solid structure with a dehumidifier to keep it dry and the insects out. Ants will eat the wire insulation, spiders will move into the venturi tubes and moisture and salt will corrode the orifice, valves, heat exchanger etc.

For whole home energy backup, a diesel generator is a better fit for the DR. These do not suffer from the same narrow operating tolerances but if not maintained can succumb to corrosion and insects like anything else here pretty quickly.