Beware of Coastal in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Ahh the alternate the guys at the pumps so its not always the same guy at the same pump I have never had a problem with any of the guys at the pumps.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I have never had any sort of problem with Coastal...either at the pumps or in the store. Everyone is super friendly there and, as noted above, the fresh coco and jugo de naranja make it worth the trip alone! (though they have sadly been out of naranja the last few days)

peterw

Mar 15, 2007
Hi to everyone on here. This is Peter , the owner of Coastal .
Once or twice every year , someone complains of Coastal .... And everytime this happens , I am glad to see most of the reactions / answers of other costumers and friends , who put mostly good comments .
As I have written once before on DR1 , myself and the manager of Coastal ( Tony ) , try to do our best to have all our costumers satisfied , wich is not an easy job . Having everybody satisfied is almost inpossible.
Regarding the gallons ..... Twice per year governament comes to check my pumps , and also COASTAL Santo Domingo , my supplier , comes around 2 times per year to check if the gallons are correctly ! If I would alternate the pumps , the governament can close my station , and COASTAL has the right to finish my agreement / license with them ! SO I do not take that risk !!! Also different times per year COASTAL comes to do general maintenance to all pumps and check the deposit tanks and clean those if necesarry ! It has happened a while ago , one of my pumps was giving a wrong amount of gallons due to a technical problem ( small difference ) .... BUT it was given out more gallons to the costumers ! So the one loosing here was ME !
Anyone with a complain , problem or suggestion , can come in to talk to me or to Tony .
As many of you might now , I havent been myself at coastal for almost 4 months due to illness . I had a heart surgery , that went very well , but I am still recovering , but very SOON I will be back at Coastal . .

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
no complaints here, Peter.

Your staff is very friendly, your gasoline is good....

But I will never use your atm again.... and I know it is not in your hands...

BelgianK

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I hope you will feel better soon , Peter.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

As to the gallon issue --

the US gallon is smaller than the Imperial gallon.

If your manual says 18 gallons = Imperial, your tank will hold more than that in US gallons by about 20%
Just Google it for the exact ratio.

As Peter said, this has been discussed here before.
Always watch the pump, use the same station and attendant whenever possible - simple precautions

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
i used to fill all my cars there for many years!!! But since they have this young fellow working there and cheating i stopped.
i did no go to the office to report him, because don't like to enter in a useless discussion and thought maybe the owner
will find out soon or later.... well that dude still works there, so i don't put gas in my car as long he is there. he is the one
who usually works on the first filling station (next to the highway)

I also have had problems with one guy who was working that pump. One time, when I asked for 1,000 worth, he told me "Finished" when I was standing at the front of the car and waited for his payment. I checked the counter, which said 850, so because I knew the tank could not be full, I asked for the rest of the gas. The guy made a great display of the pump clicking shut several times whilst he filled the remainder (strangely this problem has never occurred any other time, before or since). I feel sure he would have kept the 1,000 pesos if I had not checked the counter.

Another time, the same guy, although using a pocket calculator, managed to add up incorrectly (but to his advantage of course) the cost of the Premium which had been put in my car and the Regular which I had bought for the lawnmower.

I cannot of prove anything of course, but I now try to avoid that guy. I hope the owner reads this and does some checking.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
More's the point, what's happened to the fresh OJ...not seen it for a number of days now :(

And Peter, if you're reading this, how about marzipan Ritter? My fave :)

Probably due to the current shortage of oranges on the market. Even here in Santiago, Nacional and Super Pola both limit the amounts of fresh squeezed oj you can purchase (when they have it!) due to the lack of supply at this time.

On another note, my brother in law swears that the Coastal station in Sosua/Cabarete is one of the best in the country and he always buys there when he goes to his property in Cabarete. He is normally very critical of gas stations as his father owns quite a few of them in the country and most of the boys in the family worked at them at some time in their youths so they are very familiar with the in's and out's of the business. Having the owner respond to his customers is quite the bonus as well.

peterw

Mar 15, 2007
More's the point, what's happened to the fresh OJ...not seen it for a number of days now :(

And Peter, if you're reading this, how about marzipan Ritter? My fave :)

There is yes a shortage of oranges at the moment , and those suppliers that do have oranges are selling them at huge prices.
Regarding the Ritter marzipan .... i ll have it checked .... but most probably it is ordered and will come in soon !

Status
Not open for further replies.